Garoulady here update And Insurance Question

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
hey ya, GarouLady here.

Well so far 4 treatments down, 2 to go. If everything goes ok, I will be done on Christmas Eve. Then its onto monitoring me for 5 years. 1st 2 years I go every 3 months for bloodwork and exam, then 3 years after that I go every 4 months for the same. I have numbness in my first finger and thumb on both hands and in my toes. Doc says if it gets worse we might have to stop treatment or risk permanent damage. I rather put up with the permanent damage then run the risk of the cancer coming back. Stinks since I write stories and cashier but its something I can live with, death you really can't live with, LOL. Haven't been able to buy or coin hunt at all for 4 months and it totally stinks. What with working full time, getting chemo full time, and taking care of my mom full time, I am just pooped out totally. I just pray to goodness that our Michigan winter won't be as bad as they are calling for. ::crosses her fingers:: Wednesday I am taking my mom to her doc appt then booking over to my doc for my white blood booster shot and if I can squeeze it in stop at a Menard's for her pop and milk. Thursday I might go out with my friend for a girl's day out checking out 2nd hand stores. I have recently gotten into collection sterling silverware. Got totally caught in that when I found a spoon with a momma cat and her two babies on one side of the spoon and a momma bird with her two babies on the other side. Totally beautiful. Probably not worth much but they are totally neat.

Quick question - I have been seeing insurance things on TV about insuring your gold jewelry and I was wondering if I should take my silverage in to get evaluated by a coin dealer and get my silver and my mom's silver insured just in case. Any thoughts on this? I have about 3400 according to coinflations calculator with silver at $23.69. I have some morgan, peace and ASEs too and pure bullion. Any suggestions or opinions on this? I would appreciate it.

Hugs and Smiles, Garoulady

Upvote 0

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
get well soon garou

Everyone be sure to keep in mind GarouLady is a charter member with tons of good recipes for sale. She has cancer and every bit of money helps her.

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you to hang in there! Beat that cancer down. My mom went through breast cancer the last year and is clear and healthy now.

Maybe get a rider on homeowners insurance for the metals, a safe bolted to the floor or a safety deposit box. Not sure about any other companies that adverise on t.v. doesn't sound like the best idea.

Good luck and stick with taking care of yourself and get well.

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I hide my silver from thieves under a lot of 'garbage' but I worry about what would happen if our house burned down ::knocks on wood and throws salt over her shoulder against bad juju:: .

Sincerely, Garoulady

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
God Bless You in the midst of these difficulties you are wrestling with ! whether or not you decide to insure your valuables , it is
imperative that you give careful thought as to how best to safeguard them .

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
And I need to get my bum in gear and start relisting some stuff for sale. i have a pair of men's mack masters steel toed boots in perfect condition, still in the box. ordered the wrong size from Austrailia. Need to dig up quite literally some foreign silverage to get rid of. I recently traded someone in canada for a maple leaf. Good trade except the shipping costs. No one warned me about shipping to canadian costing over 20 dollars. he only paid 2 bucks to ship his coin to me. So I was out 20 dollars. Bummer too because he was a really sweet guy to trade with. And I need to post up some make-it-yourself homemade mixes. Cheaper than store bought and tastier. I have a muffin mix and you just add whatever you want to the mix. A russian tea mix. A hot cocoa mix that I myself really have to try out. it calls for instant chocolate pudding in it. Sounds totally devilish.

Sincerely, Garoulady

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Insuring of coins is convoluted and often misleading. You want to be very sure you understand what your coverage is.An inventory and appraisal is probably required to get the right coverage.

It's a personal preference of whether your hoard should be insured or not. Some prefer to not have a formal record. I appreciate that preference. Others want the peace of mind that neither fire, weather, nor theft will take the product of hard work. I also appreciate that preference.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

I am no insurance expert but for years have paid for a "personal articles" policy to cover my wife's engagement ring (belonged to my grandmother and was appraised years ago for about $30K). Maybe someday I'll be thankful for the policy, but it costs a few hundred per year, which is thousands spent by now. I may have been better off saving or investing those premium dollars and taking some risk.

Anyway, I think you will find that a policy to insure $3400 worth of Ag will not be worth the cost. I would just hide or secure it somehow. You could also look into a safe deposit box (I know, I know, some here don't think the banks will be accessible in an economic collapse, but the main risk now is fire or theft and hopefully we'll have warning enough of the collapse to empty our safe deposit boxes). Safe deposit boxes are inexpensive and some banks offer them free in connection with a checking account.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not considered insuring my PMs, however, putting them in a safe bolted to the floor and in a fire proof strong box, you shouldn't have to worry too much.
I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Homeowner's insurance won't cover much in the way of jewelry, guns, or other valuables without a rider - particular additional insurance. That requires an appraisal and proof of ownership at the time of loss - photos, etc.

Keep in mind: The policy has a deductible. Paying for $3,500 worth of insurance with a $2,000 deductible won't help you much in a loss.

Find out from the insurance company ahead of time what evidence will be required to prove a loss. Don't wait until you have to file a claim to learn this!

Finally - it's generally a good idea to purchase as much of your insurance as you can from the same company. For example, a homeowner may save money with "umbrella" personal liability coverage under that policy vs. getting it from auto insurance. Most major companies offer significant discounts for multiple coverage.

Oh - I know I wrote that was "finally" but one more thing - if you are lucky and do your homework you'll get what you pay for. A super cheap policy can be great until you try to collect...

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garoulady, I was diagnosed in may of 2010. 3 chemos and 10 radiation treatments did the job!! Just had my 3 year scan, all is clear. Beat that cancer down!! The most important thing for me was keeping a positive attitude. Go Lady Go!!

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
yeah doc says these last 2 treatments will be the worse with cummulative effects of the chemo and all along with stress. Truth be told the chemo goes good until I get that dang WBC (white blood count) booster shot. Now I feel like I have to flu with a low grade fever. I know I don't have a fever because I take my temp, just feels that way. I have been working so far. 1 week off for chemo and whether or not I feel better I work 2 weeks full time at work, take another week off for chemo, work 2 weeks. People are shocked that I am still working. Me I figure I can walk, I can talk, I can work. If the winter here gets as bad as they say I still might switch to taking my full FMLA till january when my doctor says I can go back to work.

as for my insurance I was thinking about switching. We have it under an umbrella or house insurance deal but still for my 1998 corsica, they want me to pay 555 dollars for 6 months. Ouch!! so I am thinking about calling around and asking. Never hurts. I am thinking my silver should be ok. worse comes to worse it will just melt into a pile of slag that I can send away to be remelted. or break off sizeable chunks with a mallet and hammer, LOL.

Thanks for the prayers and well wishes and hopefully I can get back into CRHing. For now, I am taking care of my mom full time, working full time and trying to take care of myself full time.

Sincerely, Garoulady

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will definitely pay you to shop around for car insurance. Thats one industry where loyalty means absolutely nothing, or at least it certainly means no discount for long-time customers. I realized this years ago when I compared insurance policies with a friend. I was complaining about my premium going up...again. Turns out that he had just bought an identical policy from the same company. His vehicle was 2 years newer than mine. He had speeding tickets and an at-fault accident on his record whereas I had a perfect driving record. His premium was over $200 a year cheaper than mine.

For what the policy will cost, it most likely would not pay you to insure $3400 in silver.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Garoulady, you are a strong woman! Wish I could give you some info on insurance but I can't. I also wish I lived close to you so I could help with some of your chores. Keep being positive. If you ever need to talk I can give you my #. Just send me a PM & I will give it to you.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree, insurance can be a scam. I've looked into insuring PM's and it's not worth it.
Between my wife and myself, I insure 5 vehicles. Our (AAA) insurance co. cannot beat the deal that I get with separate insurance policys between my homeowner's and auto, so we go with separate companies.
You really have to shop around, good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread