Has anyone ever?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone ever thought about or done this?
Purchasing a roll of wheat,s or even a few Indian head cents and then spend them around town either to peak interest in the coin collecting hobby or just to make some folks [kid's mainly] happy. I've thought about it but have not done it vet.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Several well known Coin Experts/Dealers have intentionally spent quite a few Key Date Lincoln Cents then released the information/stories to the media, to Coin World and other Coin Collector outlets (i.e. magazines, websites and forums) to get folks interested in looking for the coins. This seems to spur a lot of interest in Coin collecting and is the reason that they did it! Some of the coins spent by these Experts/Dealers that I know of, was a 1909-S "VDB", 1914-D, 1922 "Plain" and a 1955-P "Doubled Die #1".

Frank

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paying with Kennedy halves or Ike dollars has the same effect. Most people believe that they are rare and should be collected.

NIFC Kennedy halves matching the birth year are great for kids 11 and younger. They get a great kick out of it and it is a way to turn a dump coin into a treasure.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Paying with Kennedy halves or Ike dollars has the same effect. Most people believe that they are rare and should be collected.

NIFC Kennedy halves matching the birth year are great for kids 11 and younger. They get a great kick out of it and it is a way to turn a dump coin into a treasure.

Ditto this. I try to mainly pay in halves, gold dollars, SBAs, and $2s. People freak out.

That being said though, fast food employees get to know you as the weird money guy if you visit often. (I know of several places in 2 towns that remember me, haha.)

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't personally know someone who does that but I have heard from others that it happens in an effort to spur interest and excitement. I've heard it referred to as "priming the pump" or "seeding the clouds".

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know Sagittarius on here did this (I think he still does) but with nickels and pennies.

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't even imagine doing that, kindof defeats the purpose if you ask me

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once a year, I mark all my silver halves with an X then dump them at my dump bank & see how long it takes to get them back again.

BRChiver

Oct 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once a year, I mark all my silver halves with an X then dump them at my dump bank & see how long it takes to get them back again.

So where would this take place??? I would happily buy them for face in the parking lot so you wouldn't have to carry all those heavy coins inside, LOL! :laughing7:
HH!
BRChiver

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah heres another experiment: dump them at my bank and we will see how long it takes for them to get back to you

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several well known Coin Experts/Dealers have intentionally spent quite a few Key Date Lincoln Cents then released the information/stories to the media, to Coin World and other Coin Collector outlets (i.e. magazines, websites and forums) to get folks interested in looking for the coins. This seems to spur a lot of interest in Coin collecting and is the reason that they did it! Some of the coins spent by these Experts/Dealers that I know of, was a 1909-S "VDB", 1914-D, 1922 "Plain" and a 1955-P "Doubled Die #1".
Frank

Yeah, I've read those articles as well. I read one about how this stimulated people to look through their change, and 7 1909 s vdb's were found in the following month.

My coin club did a "coin drop," spending a 1914 d cent about two weeks before a major regional coin show.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
No I dont want to be responsible for people getting addicted to this hobby, wasting all their money week after week on coins. it starts out small, indian heads. HA! then it moves to more serious stuff, like 40%ers. next thing you know they want 90% silver coins and old ones. wasting tons of money, time, and a few of these people you tell end up searching stuff and find a place called treasurenet.com, where they then learn they can find stuff in rolls. competition goes up,silver goes down, suicide rates increase as a result, more and more coin collectors fighting. next thing you know someone's head is gonna get blown off all over some coins, all because you decided to give someone some indian cents---and you know these will wind up to some young kids, who have their whole life ahead of them, stopped because of coins. If I wassunt well off, I couldnt afford to crh, or collect coins, i consider it a 'nvestment too.

this man started out normal at one time, he's only 35 years old but he looks like he's 70:
Neo-Nazi coin collection battle in New Brunswick court - New Brunswick - CBC News

He started with indian heads and out of slim chance found a coin from the third reiche. he spent all his life's savings and wife's bank account on coins, and he had no where to turn but to nazism cause he was all out of money. even though this is an extreme case, you need to be careful with coins

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/numismatic _addiction

Boxers-before-after-match-Nicolai-Howalt-04.jpg

LEFT- BEFORE COIN COLLECTION DISORDER
RIGHT- AFTER COIN COLLECTION DISORDER

How much do you spend... - Page 2 - Coin Forum - CoinPeople.com - Page 2 I am 14 years old and I sopend ALL my money on coins. Usualy about $40-$50 a month. I just cant resist it. How do you do it.

I read on a forum somewhere (THIS IS A REAL LINK) Collectors Universe Forums - A Little Numismatic Knowledge I Picked up Along the Way
Rush, son of Benjamin Rush, a physician and signer of the Declaration of Independence spent two years in England selling off Smithson’s belongings. They amounted to $508,318.46, about 12 million dollars in today’s money. Rush refused to take the money in anything but newly minted English Sovereigns. There was no wear on them, they weighed more. The Sovereigns were brought to America and turned over to the Treasury and melted down and turned into mostly 1838 Five Dollar gold coins. All were melted but two Sovereigns and they remain a part of the collections of The National Museum of American History. If you own, or have held an 1838 $5 gold coin it was probably part of what Smithson left to the United States.

On a side note Benjamin Rush, the father, was one of the authors of the DSM, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, and still in print today as the DSM IV. This book is used by psychiatrist in the treatment of mental patients.

he realized coin collecting can mess you up, the whole reason the DSM was written because he realized what coin collecting does to people. starts out as

if you dont have anything wrong with the above happening it's your call. but you lack a conscious dawg if you do decide to distrubte the indian head cents after showing all this. many people here believe in karma, you might be one of them and if you are you need to take in all of the above before giving out indian head cents. there are members who join, and fizzle out and stop posting, why? its cause they spent all their money on coins, every single last cent. they cant afford internet any more. soon they loose their house, car. You see a few people like onaroll, who stopped crh'n and coin collecting for a while, all it takes, ALL IT TAKES is just one error cent, it might even be PMD, but the coin collectioning starts all over again. and look at my friend, the notorious ag, he went to las vegas to get some coins, and he blew all his money and even sold his car. Look at their profiles if you dont belives me. I says it once and ima says it gain, we dont need any more numismatists or rollers out there cause this kind of stuff will happen.

jarhead0341

Oct 12, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a good thing Nancy & Ronald didn't see this. DARE-To Keep Kids Off Coins!

Will45

Sep 1, 2013
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other day I payed with a quarter roll at Walmart and they had to weigh it. I guess there are some Walmart people that like to put weird things in rolls to not spend as much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread