Consolidating 40% to 90%

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is the best way to get form 40% to 90%?

I was thinking of selling my 40% halves and buying 90% ones. What is the best way to go from 40 to 90 without losing value? THanks!!!

11.18.13.stacks.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
toorude89

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do not see the value in cashing in 40%ers for other forms of silver. You are going to end with less silver.

If you want to diversify, don't but 90%ers or ASE, buy gold or mutual funds.

I guess if you have a lot of 40%ers and live in a tiny apartment with no storage?

There are a few reasons. Space is one. I wish I had the problem of 40% halves taking up a whole apartment, that would be a lot of silver. My house has plenty of space but I keep my halves in a safe which is considerably smaller.

People don't like the 40% as much, clearly. They are harder to sell and go for less. If I trade for 90% now and the value goes up, I will keep more of that value in 90% or .999 than in 40% halves. 90% will always be more desirable.

90% are just cooler, etc.

Not interested in gold and mutual funds considering a reasonable portion of my retirement is in mutual funds. I am just stacking for fun with the thought in mind that I might not regret holding a small portion of my wealth in silver in 30 years.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the best way to get form 40% to 90%?

I was thinking of selling my 40% halves and buying 90% ones. What is the best way to go from 40 to 90 without losing value? THanks!!!

No one in his/her right mind is going to swap 90% for 40% evenly. To trade evenly, you're going to have to find a buyer for your 40% that pays above average and/or a seller of 90% that sells at a price below average. You probably won't be able to do that at will. You'll have to have your buyer for your 40% on standby until a good deal for 90% pops up at which time you can "trade up" by buying the 90% and selling the 40%.

Don't let anyone tell you what to do with your silver. Its yours to do with as you please. If you want to trade .999 silver evenly for 10% silver Mexican pesos, go for it and don't let anyone stop you. With that said, if your goal is to stack as much silver as possible between now and retirement, the zombie apocalypse, or <insert timeframe here>, then it makes no sense to take much of a hit on your 40% to upgrade to 90%. The big metal exchanges (APMEX, Provident) will pay ~92% of melt all day long for 40%. 40% will sell on ebay for 105%+ of melt. 90% will indeed bring a bigger percentage, but its not crazy bigger. Its a bit of a myth (a holdout from the big silver run up in 1980 when 40% were somewhat undesirable - from what I read) that 40% are kinda unwanted. I've been going along on this ride since silver hit about $12 a few years ago. Not once during that time would I say the market for 40% halves was soft.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say if you want 90% get them. I don't personally think it makes sense if you're in to stacking but if you prefer 90%, just take your time and make the best deal.

I would suggest you visit one of the metal stacking buy, sell, trade forums. It's individual to individual, BST with no fees. You can quickly see who's been trusted by reviewing past trades. As a newby, you will probably have to send your metal first, to establish trust. Maybe do it in small amounts if you aren't comfortable. That will net you the best value unless you get lucky and find a willing lamb to pay over spot on CL.

OO

silver seeker

Nov 12, 2013
California
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah there paying $4/each. But guess what ebay charges you fees so does paypal! Oh and dont forget for shipping. You'll lose money! You'll be making less then $3/each...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread