Consolidating 40% to 90%

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is the best way to get form 40% to 90%?

I was thinking of selling my 40% halves and buying 90% ones. What is the best way to go from 40 to 90 without losing value? THanks!!!

11.18.13.stacks.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

uncubano13

Jun 25, 2013
Wyoming, MI
Detector(s) used
Bought 2 of them from garage sales
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try to do an even trade up at the coin shops, thats what I do...

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt you'll ever do an even trade up, everybody wants the more pure silver halves... I would shop around and see if dealers would be willing to swap out for the least hit. You'll lose at least 10% of your silver value in a good trade, just my opinion.

OP
OP
toorude89

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So far I have 2 offers from craigslist of $3 a pop.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
So far I have 2 offers from craigslist of $3 a pop.

They are going on ebay for 4 + dollars a piece roughly, if you look at the auctions ending soonest, I wouldn't take any less than 4 bucks each if that's possible. I have been debating selling some of my 40's on Craigs list too, I'm really not sure I would take less than 4 a piece for them, maybe $3.90. Good luck! HH, Maverick.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$4 each for 40%??? Did silver hit $30 and I didnt notice? Melt is just over $3, maybe its differebt elsewhere but if I tried to sell for that in my area id get laughed off craigslist! If someone can get $4 each please pm me and ill sell mine to you for $3.50 and you can make $.50 each!

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
$4 each for 40%??? Did silver hit $30 and I didnt notice? Melt is just over $3, maybe its differebt elsewhere but if I tried to sell for that in my area id get laughed off craigslist! If someone can get $4 each please pm me and ill sell mine to you for $3.50 and you can make $.50 each!

Hey Joe, just look on Ebay, people are paying it, many auctions with them selling for about 4 buck a piece with shipping, just stating what I'm seeing, anyone can take a look and see for your self, I won't bother putting any links on here to prove it. . HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
toorude89

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I looked at ebay and rolls were pretty much going for $60-65. After ebay takes their fee plus shipping and the trouble, I'd rather take $60 from craigslist. $3 a pop sounded just fine to me, just wanted to see what ppl on here would say. As it turned out, I didn't meet with either person and kept the silver in the safe. I called the closest coin shop and they offered me 22 90% for 80 40%...:icon_scratch: ok.....

I pretty much decided since I don't really need the cash right now I might as well hold them. Ah, makes me long for the days I sold 60 for $4 a pop and everyone said I was crazy. "Don't take less than $5."

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember, even though people are over paying for the 40%ers on ebay doesn't mean you'll see all the cash that the coins sell for, $4 after the 13% in fees ebay charges, you'll make out with $3.48 each and you also have to ship them(by either charging the buyer shipping which makes them bid less or by offering them free shipping which makes them bid slightly more).

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see rolls going $60-65, individual coins going for more and some uncirculated going for more but even on Ebay 40% sells for just a small premium over melt. No where near $4. Has it happened? Probably - some one off auctions or buy it now that went higher, but that isnt the norm.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow a 4.5 oz hit, i definitely wouldn't settle for that. I'm sure you can get a charter membership on here and people will gladly pay you a fair price for your silver, just a idea. :) Good luck.
I looked at ebay and rolls were pretty much going for $60-65. After ebay takes their fee plus shipping and the trouble, I'd rather take $60 from craigslist. $3 a pop sounded just fine to me, just wanted to see what ppl on here would say. As it turned out, I didn't meet with either person and kept the silver in the safe. I called the closest coin shop and they offered me 22 90% for 80 40%...:icon_scratch: ok.....

I pretty much decided since I don't really need the cash right now I might as well hold them. Ah, makes me long for the days I sold 60 for $4 a pop and everyone said I was crazy. "Don't take less than $5."

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To answer the OP I actually traded 58 40% and about 275 beat up/no date v/buffalo nickels to a LCS today for 9 2013 ASE, 4 mercury dimes, and a ASE tube.

I could have sold them on CL for a bit more but I was already at the LCS and decided my time/gas was worth a bit more than the $20-30 I lost.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys are missing my point, you will not make the money selling on Ebay, I'm saying that they are selling for more on Ebay, hence, people ARE paying more out there, I know you will not see your money selling them on Ebay after fees and such, I'm saying that if they are paying that for them on Ebay, you may have better luck some where else ( Craigs list or what ever). HH, Maverick.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got spot for mine a couple weeks ago and was very happy with that but then of course bought some 90% from lcs and that wasn't at spot so I did lose a little but to get rid of the 40% and exchange them for 90% and a couple ASE I was happy

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
there must be a lot of tightwads near me, my 40's sat on C'list for a couple weeks, and I took a good loss when only one person responded to my add of 3 rolls worth.

I agree, Tnet would be a good place to sell.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Ask how much the LCS is selling 90%'s for. if it's close to spot, then sell your 40's on CL, and buy the 90's. Basically an even swap.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
I do not see the value in cashing in 40%ers for other forms of silver. You are going to end with less silver.

If you want to diversify, don't but 90%ers or ASE, buy gold or mutual funds.

I guess if you have a lot of 40%ers and live in a tiny apartment with no storage?

uncubano13

Jun 25, 2013
Wyoming, MI
Detector(s) used
Bought 2 of them from garage sales
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not see the value in cashing in 40%ers for other forms of silver. You are going to end with less silver.

If you want to diversify, don't but 90%ers or ASE, buy gold or mutual funds.

I guess if you have a lot of 40%ers and live in a tiny apartment with no storage?

I think that is the point for saving space and turing the 40% into 90% for less storage space, thats what I do :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions