kdenz

Mar 31, 2013
SHAW A.F.B, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New to Coin Roll Hunting got some questions

So soon the ground will freeze and i want to start coin roll hunting my question is say you go get $500 in halves were do most of you guys get rid of the coins that are not silver? Coinstar? are they accurate? will a bank continue to take all your coins? i would think they would get annoyed with a person continuously bringing in hundreds of coins dimes/pennies ect.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just read through some of the older posts- you don't have to go very far since this question is asked quite frequently by newbies-
There is also a beginners guide in the stickies section up top that I'd suggest you read will help with any other basic questions you might have
HH

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Banks always get PO when I bring in coins, its just a part of the game

johnomerta

Sep 29, 2013
North Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, banks get pissy when you turn them in or ask for boxes. Pretty much if you do anything other than cash a check for big bills they get pissed. I cant blame them I try to do as little work as I can at my job. Worst thing you can be is good at your job cause that's when you really get worked.

OP
OP
kdenz

kdenz

Mar 31, 2013
SHAW A.F.B, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was thinking about getting a box of halves and the ones that aint silver instead of taking them to the bank i got them from go to our local wallmart and dump them in the coinstar and do it all over again. good idea?

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
i was thinking about getting a box of halves and the ones that aint silver instead of taking them to the bank i got them from go to our local wallmart and dump them in the coinstar and do it all over again. good idea?

bad idea, the coin star at your walmart charges a %, which is a big chunk of change. But feel free to pay for grocerries with them, most automatic toll roads take them (I jammed one before), pretty much can use them instead of cash in any situation. get yourself some extra rolls from the bank if your bank doesnt have a coin machine and use them to dump.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya if ya don't want to take them back to bank just spend em its fun

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, aside from a sideways look now and again my banks don't seem to care much. Last week a car wash guy brought in 8 bags of quarters.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually, aside from a sideways look now and again my banks don't seem to care much. Last week a car wash guy brought in 8 bags of quarters.

breakingbad36.jpg

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was thinking about getting a box of halves and the ones that aint silver instead of taking them to the bank i got them from go to our local walmart and dump them in the coinstar and do it all over again. good idea?

You do know how coinstar works, correct? you deposit $500 in halves (sorry you got skunked - get use to it), and get about $450 back after the 10% fee. good idea?

OP
OP
kdenz

kdenz

Mar 31, 2013
SHAW A.F.B, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think il just give them back to the bank $50 is $50 lol like others said if they have a change counter all they can do is ***** about it i guess but maybe not il find out i also heard of people opening up multiple bank accounts and around town and switch back and forth i might just do that also thanks everybody for all the replies

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get when you take a dump (yeah thats how I worded it lol). You might get someone that is annoyed and huffs and puffs or someone that gets all excited to break the routine and get to use the big coin-counter in the back. Just make sure you take them to a bank with a real coin counting machine and you won't have trouble.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread