Jan 13, 2007

Attachments

• quarter.jpg
    quarter.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 198
Upvote 0

silverfinder

Dec 31, 2006
Perhaps this is a bit off-topic, but about a month ago I was exiting a supermarket and spotted a quarter on the ground, a few feet from the doors. I picked it up, thinking it was simply a common quarter, but just before I put it in my pocket I noticed that the edge was entirely silvery-white. It turned out to be a lightly circulated 1964D quarter. I wonder - was this lost coin accidentally dropped by someone who had been keeping it as a collectible, knowing it was silver, or was it still in circulation and not recognized as special by the one who lost it? Perhaps it had been received in change just a few moments earlier, falling to the ground unnoticed by the shopper. If so, what are the odds of finding a silver quarter on the ground in this day and age? Vanishingly small, indeed. This, despite the fact that hundreds of millions of silver quarters were minted that final year. On rare occasions, I receive silver Roosevelt dimes in change, and I found one in a teller's tray last week at a Bank of America, which I purchased (no- not the bank - just the dime) for ten cents, handing over a nice, new, shiny clad dime in exchange for the worn and dirty silver one.

odinthedog

Feb 7, 2007
I mine the reject bins on the Coinstar machines. 50% of the time there will be one or more coins for the taking. I found a silver dime on one occasion.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About a month or two ago I found a silver rosie laying on the ground in a parking lot. When I first saw it I thought it was silver but just assumed my luck wasn't that good, but when I picked it up it was silver! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread