Why Save pre-1960 Nickels?

davycoppit

Feb 20, 2007
MN
I save mine just for the fun of it. I like old coins and these are about the same age as all the other ones I save. I also do not find many war nickels or buffalo nickels, so by keeping all pre-1960 it gives me more satisfaction since I find quite a few of them. My guess is most people save them just for the fun of it.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my case I am trying to get a roll of each year/mintmark combination plus enough to fill the books that I have.

Starting to get hard to find any that I still need for my first roll of any date/mintmark combo though as I pretty much have the easy dates filled. Down to the key dates, the war nickels, most of the S-mints (half of which I am close to finishing), and a couple others that I am close to finishing. According to my tracking sheet I am at a little over 87% complete from 1938-2006. Only roughly 830 nickels left, 340 of which are war nickels. There are about a dozen or so that were recently found that I have not entered yet. Also, I only count those which were issued for circulation (including common varieties such as 1941-S large S) for rolls (proofs do not count).

Trying to do a similar thing with the other coins as well, but other than Kennedy halves (which I have complete rolls from 1964-2002) or maybe the SBA or SAC dollars (which I have never really searched), jefferson nickels are the easiest to complete through CRHing.

I also save any additional pre-1960 nickels I find because they don't cost too much at least at any one time. Though I have over $100 worth of pre-1960 duplicates above my rolls.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions