My dad made a nice find (Pictures added)

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all. I was talking over the phone with my dad earlier. We share the same hobby of CRHing although he does it on a smaller scale. When my wife and I go down to visit my parents, I always bring boxes of coins so my dad and i can search them together. Anyway, my dad made his first significant find today just a couple hours ago. He pulled a tarnished coin out of a machine roll of cents and saw an eagle on the reverse. Turned it over to see a year of 1835! My dad just found a 1835 Capped Bust dime in a roll of cents!! He said it was in nice shape and everything on it was readable. I asked him if he could send me a pic of it but said the computer was acting up. So, he made his first significant find and it was out of a roll of cents. Congrats Dad!

Attachments

• Joe's dime 008-001.jpg
    Joe's dime 008-001.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 200
  • Joe's dime 009.jpg
    Joe's dime 009.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 449
Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

DrCaufield

Jul 25, 2013
Wow great find of a lifetime. And also a great thing that you and your father share this together!!

OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great find of a lifetime. And also a great thing that you and your father share this together!!
Thanks, it's some quality time when we can CRH together or metal detect.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow MM2, that is incredible! You have always had great luck with cents, especially finding silver in cent rolls, and now your father has too, must be some kind of omen! I can't wait to see the picture, congratulations to your father! I am happy to hear you two can spend quality time together sharing a hobby as I do with my grandfather, that will be a bond that will never be broken. I'm visiting my grandfather tomorrow to go through some coins with him.

I hope your father can go back and get more cents from the source he found the capped bust dime in, thanks for sharing!
BB

SanMartian

Apr 15, 2013
Skunksville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find? I would call that an amazing find! It's nice that the two of you have a hobby to share the fun in together. I'm going to try to get my mother into CRH, as she has shown an interest in metal detecting but because of her back problems she just can't do it. Going to see her over Thanksgiving.
I hope your dad gets a pic of the dime you can post.
GL and HH!

OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Sanmartian and BB. I hope one of my parents can get a picture of it to me. We're 1000 miles apart so if they can't there isn't much i could do from here. Amazing the variety of coins that can come out of cent rolls.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man!...Thats great for your dad! Whats cool, is finding something like that when you are doing it on a small scale :icon_thumleft:

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats for your dad! I know when you post, It's always a really cool find, thanks for sharing MM2. HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My parents were able to send me pictures. Updated on original post. Fantastic find Dad! Thanks Mav and everyone for reading. I'm really happy for him.

Last edited:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great coin MM2, thanks for sharing it with us, it is amazing how a coin 178 years old has survived and was found in a cent roll in that condition. I am not an expert on grading so I won't attempt at grading it; however, that is definitely a find of a lifetime (for a single coin found)... and in a cent roll to boot!
Congrats to your dad!!
HH
BB

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wowzers that's in awesome shape- someone is sad its missing from their collection no doubt

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes, quit now it probably isn't going to get much better lol