Most unusual RARE find in box of dimes

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Friday nite I was into my second box of dimes for the evening, of which only had 1-Rosie, but near the end (roll #47), a very worn down rim and quite dirty looking coin showed up. Since I date check all my dimes , whereas in this case if I had only rim checked for the WHITE silver I would never has caught this FANTASTIC find. Pulled the coin, reverse first, and noticed three roman numeral ones, as (III). Thinking, ol well a foreign coin mixed in with the dimes. Turned it over to the obverse(heads), an saw United States of America, dated 1873. Yes guys, 1873 (curled 3 according to Red Book). 1873, three cent piece ( nickel variety)(not the silver predecessor ). Condition of coin a little less than Good, but still very readable, with some dark brown staining in the lower recesses of the coin. I would never expected something like this in a million boxes. To say the least, a Barber dime would be the oldest variety that i would expect. The coin is the same size as a regular dime, but weight is a little less. If I remember correctly (red book) mintage is 310,000 only., value for Good at $18, but I'm keeping this baby. I have a few other 3-cent pieces (both silver & nickel versions), along with several other TYPE coins in the early to mid & late 1800. I'm still excited & shaking about this find. As my wife says "it's just another coin isn't it?". Not to me. To me, it feels like a BANNER fine. I'm going to show obv & rev pics from my I-pod, not the best, but I know some of you guys need proof. So here goes. If they don't show up, I'll send under a separate thread.

Upvote 0

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread