Most unusual RARE find in box of dimes

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Friday nite I was into my second box of dimes for the evening, of which only had 1-Rosie, but near the end (roll #47), a very worn down rim and quite dirty looking coin showed up. Since I date check all my dimes , whereas in this case if I had only rim checked for the WHITE silver I would never has caught this FANTASTIC find. Pulled the coin, reverse first, and noticed three roman numeral ones, as (III). Thinking, ol well a foreign coin mixed in with the dimes. Turned it over to the obverse(heads), an saw United States of America, dated 1873. Yes guys, 1873 (curled 3 according to Red Book). 1873, three cent piece ( nickel variety)(not the silver predecessor ). Condition of coin a little less than Good, but still very readable, with some dark brown staining in the lower recesses of the coin. I would never expected something like this in a million boxes. To say the least, a Barber dime would be the oldest variety that i would expect. The coin is the same size as a regular dime, but weight is a little less. If I remember correctly (red book) mintage is 310,000 only., value for Good at $18, but I'm keeping this baby. I have a few other 3-cent pieces (both silver & nickel versions), along with several other TYPE coins in the early to mid & late 1800. I'm still excited & shaking about this find. As my wife says "it's just another coin isn't it?". Not to me. To me, it feels like a BANNER fine. I'm going to show obv & rev pics from my I-pod, not the best, but I know some of you guys need proof. So here goes. If they don't show up, I'll send under a separate thread.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Pics: going to send one at a time,
First two in palm of hand.
Second two on black velvet.
iPod keeps timing out, trying again.

Attachments

• image-4137471453.jpg
    image-4137471453.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 161
OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
#2 pic

Attachments

• image-3247618168.jpg
    image-3247618168.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 144
OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
#3 pic

Attachments

• image-4197395154.jpg
    image-4197395154.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 151

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found an 1863 nickel III cent earlier this year in a bag. Pretty neat.

If it wasn't worth so much I'd try and spend it and watch someone scratch their heads.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
#4 pic ( last one)

Attachments

• image-1617557646.jpg
    image-1617557646.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 154

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow man! Thats a crazy find. Too bad you had to pay over 3x face value for it.... JK lol. Those are the moments i chase. CRHing doesnt always pay off, but moments like that are priceless.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Your a rather rude guy. Some people don't feel the need to go out of their way to post that.

Actually, I congratulated the OP on his finds AND liked his post.

I gave some criticism, this is the real world. There's no point of him wasting his own time getting this camera out, positioning the coins and trying to get a picture if this is the end result. The problem is not how he takes the picture nor is he a bad photograph: the fact is his camera is either a really old phone camera or an even older digital camera.

Photograph advice:
Enable Macro mode if it has it, if it doesn't have a macromode, buy a new camera.

24k dreams

Oct 28, 2012
Actually, I congratulated the OP on his finds AND liked his post. I gave some criticism, this is the real world. There's no point of him wasting his own time getting this camera out, positioning the coins and trying to get a picture if this is the end result. The problem is not how he takes the picture nor is he a bad photograph: the fact is his camera is either a really old phone camera or an even older digital camera. Photograph advice: Enable Macro mode if it has it, if it doesn't have a macromode, buy a new camera.

The point of my comment was that he identified that fact the camera didn't have the best picture but he wanted to provide proof for anyone who doubted.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry about the bad looking pictures. Next time you'll just have to take my word on any findings. I still think it was a highly unusual find in a dime box. Sorry to have described my findings without a big expensive camera.

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry about the bad looking pictures. Next time you'll just have to take my word on any findings. I still think it was a highly unusual find in a dime box. Sorry to have described my findings without a big expensive camera.

Ive got a couple of three cent nickels. So it may be because im familiar with the coin, but i thought the pictures did the job just fine. Sorry that your nice find kindof ended with a buzz kill

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find, Dozer! I'm happy for you. That coin will surely be one of the best coins in your CRHing collection for a while!

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a sweet find! Three cent pieces are really neat - most people don't even know they exist. Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread