Pennies?

scottlindberg

Greenie
Feb 2, 2007
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I've been lurking here for a couple months, but this weekend I finally dove in. Or maybe hopped in feet first to the shallow end.

I was bored, so decided to see if I could fill in any missing coins in my Lincoln Cent folders. I bought a box of pennies (my first box ever!), and from it pulled out 9 wheat cents: 1940-D, 1942-S, 1944-D, 1945-S, 1950-D, 1952-D, 1953-D, 1956-D, and 1958-D. It filled in two holes in my little collection, which was pretty nice. Nothing too great value-wise I don't think, but it sure was fun looking through them all.

I also looked through for errors, but found none. How commonly are error coins (pennies in particular) found when coin roll hunting? I'd imagine not often at all, if ever ... but has it happened for anyone lately? Does anyone even bother hunting rolls of pennies?

Upvote 0

coinlover

Oct 21, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
pennies or cents as people like to call them are really great. i haven't gone through any but i've read about things people find in pennies. errors are rare though. did you look for the wide am cents? do you have the redbook, if not, i can tell you all the know errors. also try www.coppercoins.com for all of the errors.

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
Yes I do search cents while waiting on boxes of halves to come in. I am trying to fill the whitman folder. I have found one Indian Head, that was a rush. I think someone on the forum cam across a 1914D or something worth a pretty penny!

OP
OP
scottlindberg

scottlindberg

Greenie
Feb 2, 2007
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
coinlover said:
did you look for the wide am cents? do you have the redbook, if not, i can tell you all the know errors. also try www.coppercoins.com for all of the errors.

I just read about the wide "AM" cents earlier this afternoon, which was unfortunately after I had finished looking through the box. I might go through them again just to look for that variation, though. I just ordered the 2007 Redbook today, so have been relying on bits and pieces of information I've gleaned from various websites until now. I'll check out the site you recommend as well. Thanks!

tw656 said:
I have found one Indian Head, that was a rush.

Wow, I can't even imagine how thrilled I'd be finding an Indian Head in a roll. I was thrilled just with the common wheats!

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Scott.

I bought a box of pennies once just to look for wheats. I bought a coin book at Barnes & Noble to fill so I thought I'd give it a try. I found about 12-14 wheats. I didn't look for errors...just the wheats. It was fun. I didn't find a Indian like TW656 (lucky rascal), but like I said it was enjoyable.

The coin book I bought starts at 1909 and goes to 1940. I think it may take a while because I just don't search that many pennies so it will be a challenge for me.

Good luck & be sure to post those finds.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also looked through for errors, but found none. How commonly are error coins (pennies in particular) found when coin roll hunting? I'd imagine not often at all, if ever ... but has it happened for anyone lately? Does anyone even bother hunting rolls of pennies?

I have found a few of the Wide AM pennies from 1998-2000, one 1972 Double Die Obverse (DDO), and a couple of pennies that appear to have some type of doubling though not sure which kind yet. I only check for the varieties listed in the red book anymore. I tried to search for all the varieties on coppercoins.com, but just took too long for my liking. That and I wasn't finding any of the varieties listed which also made it less fun. I think for some of them you almost need a microscope or at least a better magnifier than I have got.

When I go through a box of pennies, I look for the following errors/varieties:
1969-S DDO
1970-S DDO
1972 DDO
1983 Double Die Reverse
1984 Doubled Ear
1992-D Close AM
1995 DDO
1998 Wide AM
1999 Wide AM
2000 Wide AM

I just pick out the above list as I am going through the box and then look at all of one date at a time afterward. For me usually is just over 100 coins per box so it doesn't take very long.

Also you might want to look for 1960 small date and 1970-S Small Date (High 7) as they are relatively hard to find.
I only have 2 - 1960 small date and 1 - 1970-S Small Date (High 7).

I have found a few Indian Head pennies though and yes they are a rush.

In 2007 I have looked at 1024 of the 1998, 1999, and 2000 pennies looking for the wide AM and only found 1. So the payoff is typically not great at least for me. Some people enjoy really studying the coins to look for anomalies. I don't mind, but only to a point.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread