Opening rolls- volume guys

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
This question goes out to all the large volume hunters, mainly into halfs, although small volume hunters and other denomination hunters are welcome to post as well. My question is: How do you go about opening your rolls? Time is always of the essence when volume hunting, so I am wondering what techniques you guys use to open your half rolls, and other denominations. Personally, I crack the half rolls like an egg, and roll the coins into my hand, take a look, and then roll them into a bag. Takes about 4 minutes a box, but up to 6 minutes if I am paying extra close attention. For plastic wrapped coins, I slice all the wrappers down the middle, and dump the coins into 5 gallon buckets, and then go from there. I'll post a picture of what I crack the rolls on. Curious to here from you guys.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Omega

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
image-2546863294.jpg

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
This question goes out to all the large volume hunters, mainly into halfs, although small volume hunters and other denomination hunters are welcome to post as well. My question is: How do you go about opening your rolls? Time is always of the essence when volume hunting, so I am wondering what techniques you guys use to open your half rolls, and other denominations. Personally, I crack the half rolls like an egg, and roll the coins into my hand, take a look, and then roll them into a bag. Takes about 4 minutes a box, but up to 6 minutes if I am paying extra close attention. For plastic wrapped coins, I slice all the wrappers down the middle, and dump the coins into 5 gallon buckets, and then go from there. I'll post a picture of what I crack the rolls on. Curious to here from you guys.
Personally, I use a variety of techniques. Sometimes I open them normally, sometimes I have homies help me. Other times I throw them at people. Have you tried running the rolls over with a Chrysler 300??

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Depends on if the coins are going to a branch that will accept them in their 50 lb plastic bag, then I just tear off the paper wrap in expose the coins. This is very fast maybe 15 minutes to do a box. If the bank I'm dumping at requires them to be in the roll wrapped, then I use a small screw driver to unroll the end and slide the coins out. After inspecting I slide the coins back into that wrapper and put them back into the box for return to the bank. Rerolling a box can take up to 45 minutes for me to open, inspect and rewrap.

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't do anywhere near that volume but I open paper rolls by pulling at each end of the seam with the fingernail of my left ring finger. Then I peel the seam all the way back until the coin edges are totally exposed. The paper stays fully intact, just two rings on the ends connected by the fully rolled-out paper. Works great for halves, but sometimes with dimes the roll explodes in my palm and spills everywhere. I have quite the notch under that fingernail where the skin is pushed down from doing so many rolls; sort of a CRH birthmark of sorts.

crhgymnast1

Jun 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For dimes/pennies I push a small Swiss Army knife under the paper crimp and lift. It all comes of in a nice circle do the same with the other side. Then pull the paper and it all comes out in a nice row to rim check

HH

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
For dimes/pennies I push a small Swiss Army knife under the paper crimp and lift. It all comes of in a nice circle do the same with the other side. Then pull the paper and it all comes out in a nice row to rim check

HH

I do the same. It's like gutting a small fish; cut both sides ( crimped rings ), then unroll in palm of hand. Works just fine.

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
“We'll be saying a big hello to all intelligent lifeforms everywhere and to everyone else out there, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys.” ― Newscaster from Hitchiker's guide to the galaxy

I took that advice to also mean rolls of coins! Actually I got the idea from this forum somewhere. I put one roll cupped in each hand, so that my hands (and the rolls that they hold) are at an angle to each other, then bang them together once or twice. Generally they just fall open.

Though I'm really curious to hear how the super-high volume searchers do it. They probably have an electrical machine that they just one box at a time into, that automatically opens the rolls, inspects them, and ships them off to their rather accommodating dump bank!

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I undo one end of the crimp with my fingernail them tear the paper near the other crimp and unroll then edge search then ruffle the pile into the opposite hand to sound check then into the dump bag. Quickest way I have found

mr.landpirate

Dec 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Personally, I crack the half rolls like an egg, and roll the coins into my hand, take a look, and then roll them into a bag. Takes about 4 minutes a box, but up to 6 minutes if I am paying extra close attention. For plastic wrapped coins, I slice all the wrappers down the middle, and dump the coins into 5 gallon buckets, and then go from there. I'll post a picture of what I crack the rolls on. Curious to here from you guys.

can you do a vid? l'd love to see this it takes me like 20+ mins to do a box. i like the hinge idea think l'll try it HH LP

OP
OP
Omega

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
can you do a vid? l'd love to see this it takes me like 20+ mins to do a box. i like the hinge idea think l'll try it HH LP

Lol, my desk is SOOO dented under it, that's why I needed the hinge haha. Maybe I can get my sister to video tape me for a minute next week, stay tuned haha

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like others I stick a small pocket knife under the crimp on the ends of the rolls, and unroll into my hand. I do not consider my self hi volume though. Maybe 4 k a week halves and dimes. I like to relax while I coin roll hunt so I do not rush. I enjoy sitting back with a beer and taking my time. HH

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Razor blade through the crimp ring and small score down the side

Last edited:

BRChiver

Oct 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to use a razor knife but gashed myself pretty bad a couple times so I'm buying one of these bad boys, lol!
coin rolls | N. F. String

Actually I just use my fingernails to pop the crimp and rippem' open.
HH!
BRChiver

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like others I stick a small pocket knife under the crimp on the ends of the rolls, and unroll into my hand. I do not consider my self hi volume though. Maybe 4 k a week halves and dimes. I like to relax while I coin roll hunt so I do not rush. I enjoy sitting back with a beer and taking my time. HH

I too, enjoy a beer while I CRH. My only problem is I forget that the beer is there because I get so focused on the coins and my beer gets warm, haha.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I unwrap one end with my fingernail. have gotten really good at it over the years, can get the coins out that way faster than the other ways such as cutting/hitting etc. I have to wrap 'em back up that's why I do it, bags have a few day delay before deposit here

ScottNVAB

May 22, 2011
Dump box into cloth sack-like banks use. Take said sack and swing it over your head and whack it into the concrete. 2 or 3 times will do...Open. Remove paper. Enjoy. A box can be done in 2 minutes.......Actually 1:41 if you hurry....

OP
OP
Omega

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Dump box into cloth sack-like banks use. Take said sack and swing it over your head and whack it into the concrete. 2 or 3 times will do...Open. Remove paper. Enjoy. A box can be done in 2 minutes.......Actually 1:41 if you hurry....

I'll try that today, sounds like it would work

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread