Christmas Collection Dumps

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

it's hard to tell from single posts, so what are all your opinions on this, have you seen the christmas spike in silver finds? I have gotten a few good boxes so far but missed the last two weeks due to car troubles so am trying to make up for lost time. Last year I had great teller tray finds and great boxes. also saw plenty of loaded bags that I wasn't able to buy.

HH! :blackbeard::blackbeard::blackbeard:

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got nothing the last few days.....zero.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
From my years of experience, my finds always increase. I increase my volume back in October and will maintain that volume through the end of January. Beginning in December, I begin to hit the cents hard maintaining the search through mid-January. There are a number of holiday fundraising efforts for those in need that ask only for cents. People will bring in jars/cans of cents out of the kindness of their heart.

jr98119

Sep 21, 2011
The Paris of Appalachia
Detector(s) used
bare hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never had a good xmas vein either, although I did have an exceptional August & September this year.

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I got a bag with 60 keepers last year the week after christmas

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey SFB, I can't say that I have noticed a spike yet, or if I will see one, last year I had 1 good week in December if j remember correctly, I know I posted my boxes that month. Judging by my dates that are on my bags when I get them ( anywhere from 1 to 3 months old) the "Christmas spike" could come into play a month or so after, just depends when that bag gets dumped into the hopper to become your box. HH, Maverick.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been CRH'ing for 6-7 years now and I have not noticed a significant spike in my finds during this time of year. Last year my finds actually were worse from December-March than they were in the summer.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually stop doing boxes of anything from Thanksgiving to New Years Day, as I use my bankroll for Christmas shopping. But I kick playing the coin machines into high gear, because there are lines of people at every bank to dump coins. Last December alone, I found nine or so silver quarters in like a three-week span just from the various reject trays.

Come the end of January is when I start to do boxes again, and then towards the middle to the end of February and into March they are usually chock full o' silver.

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey SFB, I can't say that I have noticed a spike yet, or if I will see one, last year I had 1 good week in December if j remember correctly, I know I posted my boxes that month. Judging by my dates that are on my bags when I get them ( anywhere from 1 to 3 months old) the "Christmas spike" could come into play a month or so after, just depends when that bag gets dumped into the hopper to become your box. HH, Maverick.

Very good point. At least with halves, it can take a long time for those bags to fill up if theyre putting it through a coin counter. So just because someone is turning coins in during the holidays doesnt mean theyre going to hit circulation soon.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd say mid-December till late February is when we'll see a spike (for halfs anyways). Thats what it has been in the past.

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd say mid-December till late February is when we'll see a spike (for halfs anyways). Thats what it has been in the past.

I thought you were fairly new. Have you hunted for more than a year?

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I typically always see an increase in finds around the holidays... well.. Except for last year when I was searching dimes and my finds completely dropped off.. Overall, the best boxes I get are around the end of January.. I believe this is because my boxes are always from dumps a month earlier

Last edited:

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes haha, but talking to other heavy hunters in my area :P Not personal experience. I said what I thought, not what I experienced :D, HH guys!

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I had the day off and went to as many banks as possible before closing time. I received in total $1887 in halves, $1620 rolled ($1000 MWR) and $267 from teller trays. My end result was 24 40%ers out of all the tray finds and nothing from the rolls. That's about average for me. Hope more shows up in the coming weeks!!!!

HH

xnytxowlx

Sep 15, 2013
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Your average is 24 per every $2k searched? Or your average is 10% of halves sitting in trays are silver? Regardless, that seems high. I finally grabbed my first teller tray find last week.

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your average is 24 per every $2k searched? Or your average is 10% of halves sitting in trays are silver? Regardless, that seems high. I finally grabbed my first teller tray find last week.

Sorry, I didn't mean my literal average, I should have clarified. But I have done a few of these "coin tours" as I call them. The fiancé thinks I'm crazy. This was my third time doing it. Since I had the day off, I got up early and started driving, stopped at every bank I saw until 5pm. 30+ banks easy, I lost count. But every one if these trips I have taken, have turned out well. I wish my average was 24 per $2000 searched, that would be awesome.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread