Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saturday I went bank hunting.
Very interesting, at my first bank I dump $320 in halves and I see the teller has about 6-8 Ike dollars stacked by his coin tray. I ask to buy them and he says that he is saving them for someone. I offered to buy half and he said he couldn't and then put them in his drawer and offered me a buffalo nickle he had gotten the day before, that seemed like a fair exchange. So I have added a no date buffalo to my CRH list of finds.

I stopped at 5 banks and ran out of cash.

Got $100 in quarters - 0 silver
Got $260 in halves - 0 silver
(most were marked and hunted and put back all facing the same direction in brinks wrappers, what a waste of time)
Got $25 in new washington $$ - nothing special
Got $60 in halves - 9 40% JFK
Got $122 in Ike dollars - nothing special but put away

Also got my usual 2 boxes of halves. Found 1 walking liberty 4 - 90% JFK 13 - 40% JFK

Upvote 0

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
A buffalo (nickel) is not a bad trade off for some Ikes; especially since you found some later down the road.

Kudos on the keepers you did get.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job Dan....I just love those Walkers.

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark
cyberdan said:
Got $260 in halves - 0 silver
(most were marked and hunted and put back all facing the same direction in brinks wrappers, what a waste of time)

I don't understand how the half's from the brinks truck could have been re-rapped.
Do the rolls come in those tightly wound wrappers like in a box, or are they paper ones like the ones we use to return clad back to bank?

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't understand how the half's from the brinks truck could have been re-wrapped.
Do the rolls come in those tightly wound wrappers like in a box, or are they paper ones like the ones we use to return clad back to bank?
It is a lot of work for me so I do not re-wrap the bank rolls. But this is how they must do it. Take a butter knife and un-crimp/un-roll one end, push out all the halves from the other side, check the halves, reinsert the halves and fold the end closed.

I invented a little stand that will hold a coin wrapper open and I literally pour the halves into the wrapper and they all fall in place centered in the tube. I then fold one end closed, remove the roll from my stand, turn it over and fold the other end. Easy & fast, still can't say I enjoy re-wrapping coin but it is faster.

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark
Wow, that's innovative how you roll your coins, what a great Idea.
That's terrible what those brinks employees do with those spun rolls.
I guess you can't trust any type of roll when hunting half's.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that's innovative how you roll your coins, what a great Idea.
Thanks, I guess I am lazy at heart. I am always building some kind of tool or machine do make my hobbies or business a little easier to do.

That's terrible what those brinks employees do with those spun rolls.
The coins on each end are ruined if they were good enough to be a keeper. The crimper machind puts a round scratch all the way around the outside facing coin. I have had a few BU coins that I had to toss back because of the scratch.

I guess you can't trust any type of roll when hunting half's.
The Brink's rolls are the only ones I trust to be exactly $10. I count all hand rolled coins to make sure they are full $10. I have only been shorted once, the roll had $9.50 but the next one had $10.50 so it worked out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread