BigBadJohn

Greenie
Mar 31, 2013
Oklahoma City, OK
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been lurking around on TNet for several months now and am really jealous of some of the finds I have seen. Being from Oklahoma the opportunity to find/ dig any really old coins is not there but I am trying. Anyway, about 6 months before I bought my first detector I was opening a roll of nickels and found a V Nickel. Weird, how in the world would a coin from 1904 end up in a roll. I put it in my pocket and brought it home. Then I discovered that there was a whole group of people search rolled coin for a hobby.

Fast forward to about a month ago. Since the weather is going to get really cold soon (like tonight) I thought I would try to get starting hunting halves from the bank. So far my youngest daughter and I have had a blast. Out of 4 bags of $500 we have only been skunked once. 2 90%, 7 40%, and a Walker. I have been noticing that a lot of my coins have markings on them. The most common is a red dot on the front of the coin. I am wondering if the person marking with the red dot is from Oklahoma City or maybe from somewhere else. Just curious how far the coins would travel. If I dump in OKC do the coins stay local or does the armored company send them out of state before they are distributed?

Who are you red dot?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
First I must say you are extremely lucky to be able to get bags. I've talked to over 15 banks, some with and some without counters, and NONE will get me bags, they all laugh at me -_-, so props to you for getting your hands on bags :P Nice finds too!

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been lurking around on TNet for several months now and am really jealous of some of the finds I have seen. Being from Oklahoma the opportunity to find/ dig any really old coins is not there but I am trying. Anyway, about 6 months before I bought my first detector I was opening a roll of nickels and found a V Nickel. Weird, how in the world would a coin from 1904 end up in a roll. I put it in my pocket and brought it home. Then I discovered that there was a whole group of people search rolled coin for a hobby.

Fast forward to about a month ago. Since the weather is going to get really cold soon (like tonight) I thought I would try to get starting hunting halves from the bank. So far my youngest daughter and I have had a blast. Out of 4 bags of $500 we have only been skunked once. 2 90%, 7 40%, and a Walker. I have been noticing that a lot of my coins have markings on them. The most common is a red dot on the front of the coin. I am wondering if the person marking with the red dot is from Oklahoma City or maybe from somewhere else. Just curious how far the coins would travel. If I dump in OKC do the coins stay local or does the armored company send them out of state before they are distributed?

Who are you red dot?

The red dot for oklahoma is one of the most common marks. Coins stay local (relatively speaking), at least in oklahoma. Ive never had an out of state bag. Tend to get a lot of dumps.

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
First I must say you are extremely lucky to be able to get bags. I've talked to over 15 banks, some with and some without counters, and NONE will get me bags, they all laugh at me -_-, so props to you for getting your hands on bags :P Nice finds too!

Bags are just the norm here in Oklahoma

FAL guy

Feb 5, 2012
OKC, OK
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bags are just the norm here in Oklahoma
I get boxes from all my banks.

The most common markings I find are black marks on the rim, almost like the markings on poker chips.. Oddly enough, my best box ever was about 1/4 marked in this fashion.

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I get boxes from all my banks.

The most common markings I find are black marks on the rim, almost like the markings on poker chips.. Oddly enough, my best box ever was about 1/4 marked in this fashion.

Oh ok cool. Funny, I don't think I could get boxes if I tried

OP
OP
B

BigBadJohn

Greenie
Mar 31, 2013
Oklahoma City, OK
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So the only bank I have found to dump my coins at is the same bank that I get my coins from. It is a different branch, however. All the other banks with coin counters I have found have minimum amounts you can dump or huge fees that go along with them. What are the odds that I will get the same coins I am dumping. Should I find a new bank to get the coins from. I'm small time too, about a $500-$1000 month habit. Thanks

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Only doing 500-1000 a month... you wont get your coins back. You probably wont see your coins again unless you are doing 10K+ a week, at least thats what I've observed.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only doing 500-1000 a month... you wont get your coins back. You probably wont see your coins again unless you are doing 10K+ a week, at least thats what I've observed.

Omega thats false in my area- depending on location- I was only doing 1k at beginning of summer last yr and marked 2 full boxes and dumped into my own pick up service- different banks(didnt have anything else back then) and I saw them with in three weeks, and continued to see them for several weeks later-

So yes you might very well see your own coins but youll see enough other coins it wont matter- just hope you dont get cut off since your dumping at same bank/different branch- that was a huge thing I made very clear to my pick up banks that I would NOT dump at any of their locations, this eased them and they were very happy to keep me a weekly order
Good luck

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Mark a few and find out... Easy to figure the path of the coins. Likely the carrier picks up from all banks in route and takes them to the main depot. There they count and reroll/rebag and toss that on the stack of halves in the vault. Next time you order- the bank orders- and the carrier picks up the top box/bag again and delivers it. If it's just you- you'll circulate the same over and over, If your area has few CRHers then you likely recheck the top few layers and see them again in a few months.

I marked a few in June this year- and just got nearly all of them back right before Christmas- they were spread between three boxes- in one 4 box order- which also had 4-40's in amongst them.

Good Luck!

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the only bank I have found to dump my coins at is the same bank that I get my coins from. It is a different branch, however. All the other banks with coin counters I have found have minimum amounts you can dump or huge fees that go along with them. What are the odds that I will get the same coins I am dumping. Should I find a new bank to get the coins from. I'm small time too, about a $500-$1000 month habit. Thanks

As stated, The red dot is the most common mark in our area. There are thousands of those markings. Everything in Oklahoma seems to filter through the City, including Tulsa. I'm guessing your banks courier is Loomis since you referenced $500 bags. To my knowledge, Oklahoma only uses Brinks and Loomis. It's natural to want to make sure you're not seeing the same coins but truthfully, it doesn't matter. No matter where the coin comes from, your just passing dumps back and forth waiting on people to add some valuable coins to the mix. There's no loaded vault waiting to be tapped (as I believed when I began). There's a lot of luck involved.

I would suggest you find two different banks to use. The tellers often go back and forth between branches. If they figure out your buying and dumping, you'll probably lose the opportunity. Good luck.

OO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread