Dimes and quarters edge checking question?????

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
However, you may be passing up some very dark stained coins, of which many a times I have found. That's why I date check all my coins., also might miss some proofs.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO there is no need to date check every coin. pull out the silvers, pull out the "questionable ones" and date check those, immediately dump the other 98%. I really don;t care if I miss circulated proofs, they arent worth much, if anything over face.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
It's up to you. $180 in dimes isn't much to date search. I usually search between $600-$1200 at a time, so edge only for me.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always just edge checked dimes and quarters. There is definitely a technique too it, though. I never rely solely on seeing the bright white silver even though that is how most of them show up. I open the roll and then look at each edge. I then do a closer inspection on any coin where I can't see the edge between the "silver"/brown clad edge as a distinct line. Honestly, though, the dirty silvers are a small percentage of the overall silver that I have found out of those denominations. I do have a few silver quarters that I found that have pretty dirty looking edges, though.

sjlund

Dec 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I edge search dimes. The coin counter I dump at rejects silver, so if I miss one I'll know. Over the past few years I've searched over $130,000 in dimes and only missed 2 darkly stained silvers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions