What commemorative halves have you found?

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After 8 months of CRHing with no previous coin knowledge to speak of, I finally picked up a decade-old Red Book for $1 at a book sale this weekend, for reference purposes.

I'm blown away by all the commemorative half dollars that have been issued. Like, SO many different weird ones. Most of them silver.

The only commemorative I've found is the 1986 Statue of Liberty clad proof. I'm pretty sure I've seen people report finding the Stone Mountain and Columbian Exposition ones since I've been on the forums. Lots of the other ones have much lower mintages; usually around 50,000 or so.

What else have you folks found? Do you have pictures?

Upvote 0

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Here are some of mine, all found CRHing. The GW's are 90%'s. HH, Maverick.

Attachments

• DSCN1109.JPG
    DSCN1109.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCN1110.JPG
    DSCN1110.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCN1111.JPG
    DSCN1111.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCN1112.JPG
    DSCN1112.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCN1113.JPG
    DSCN1113.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCN1114.JPG
    DSCN1114.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 73
OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some of mine, all found CRHing. The GW's are 90%'s.

Dang, that's a lot of commemorative halves!

So what do you chalk that up to Maverick? High volume and good luck? Or is there maybe a geographic aspect to it? Very curious how you've managed to come upon so many of them.

Thanks for sharing!

Smooth Blend

Nov 30, 2013
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari w/ 11"DD coil, 10"x12"SEF, 15"WOT coil, Garrett Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a better chance getting silver halfs from small town banks? I asked my Grandmother who lives in a populated area of just a little over 1k to order a box full of halfs for me. I'm so excited.!

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang, that's a lot of commemorative halves!

So what do you chalk that up to Maverick? High volume and good luck? Or is there maybe a geographic aspect to it? Very curious how you've managed to come upon so many of them.

Thanks for sharing!

Volume and luck, I haven't found any in a long time now, I was just lucky to find them, I had a box a long while back that I posted that had like 10 in it. HH, Maverick. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...ave-these-they-worth-anything-keep-later.html

Last edited:

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After 8 months of CRHing with no previous coin knowledge to speak of, I finally picked up a decade-old Red Book for $1 at a book sale this weekend, for reference purposes.

I'm blown away by all the commemorative half dollars that have been issued. Like, SO many different weird ones. Most of them silver.

The only commemorative I've found is the 1986 Statue of Liberty clad proof. I'm pretty sure I've seen people report finding the Stone Mountain and Columbian Exposition ones since I've been on the forums. Lots of the other ones have much lower mintages; usually around 50,000 or so.

What else have you folks found? Do you have pictures?

:coffee2: That's a good price to pick up a red book. Since you said it's a decade old I guess it was the 2003 edition. They do make a great reference book. I like how they give you the coin information (weight, dimensions) in front of each coin, makes it easier to classify & get a rough grade (condition) for each coin. I have a 2010 edition which I use.

In answer to your question, I've found the following half dollars:

Silver (90%) 1 1893 Columbian / 2 1946 Booker T Washington (Both Booker T Washington came in the same box).

Non-Silver (Clad) 3 1986 Statue of Liberty (1D & 2S) / 1 1992 Olympics

I have also found 2 40% Silver Bicentennial halfs but I don't consider them commemoratives because they also had quarter & dollar coins with special designs as part of a set for that year.

Sorry no pictures as I'm a old dog who can't learn new tricks.

HH
Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread