Half Dollar Rolls Short

smittyman

Jun 6, 2012
Charlotte NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally got into my local branch and worked up the nerve to ask if I could get some half dollars - answer "Sure, no problem. we have 29 rolls in the vault and can get more whenever you want." From some of the nasty stories I've read I expected to be turned down. As I went thru them - finding no keepers I got the feeling - just by the sloppy way they were rolled that they had been already gone thru. No big deal or real surprise there of course but I found 7 rolls that were 1 coin short. I'm not really all that concerned about the $3.50 tho I did cuss a little bit. My question is should I alert the bank in hopes of stopping what may be an on going scam. There were no account numbers on any of the rolls even tho obviously hand rolled, is that not a requirement these days. I thought it might mean that this was a known customer and that the tellers maybe let the account number thing slide. My question - should I let them know and maybe stop this thief and there by also possibly start a stink that might put the brakes on their "We can get you more whenever.." attitude? Thank's!

Upvote 0

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just leave it - like you said you might bring and end to you new found pickup bank- if it where more than say $10 then maybe I'd say something- but being shorted is part of the game/hobby and those who cheat on purpose will get their karma in the end

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hear about you getting shorted on your first rolls. A similar thing happened to me a couple of years ago. On 2 separate occasions I got approx. $100-$200 in cwr halves from the same bank within a short period of time. And from what I remember on both occasions about every 3-4 rolls was 1 coin short and 1 or 2 of the rolls was 2 coins short. After the second time this happened it seemed obvious to me this was being deliberately done by the same customer in order to stretch out the roll count and get an extra roll out of what he had. So I went ahead and notified the bank about this after this happened the second time. I didn't really make a complaint about it but I just told them I wanted to let them know what was going on and that they might want to watch out for this customer in case he does this again. Idk if they were able to catch this guy trying to continue to do this but I sure wished they had. I would have loved for the teller to have counted the coins in the rolls of his next dump in front of him and asked him why every 3 or 4 rolls just happened to be a coin short (and none of them over 20) and heard what his excuse could have been. Its bad enough getting someone elses dump but when they intentionally short the rolls too that really stinks.

Fortunately this doesn't happen too often with half dollar rolls (not for me anyway). Its just one of the occasional costs of an otherwise profitable hobby.

H$H!

Last edited:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
even after getting insulted by 2 members of tnet, I still recommend weighing cwr rolls of all denominations. same happened to me and after a chat with bank they turned away the rolls the thief brought the next time. $10 halfs are 226 grams, 215 grams mean you are short one. must stress that you still search the roll regardless of weight. got a nickel roll this week that was 7 coins short but the dope left me a sweet 35 buffalo. minimum weight for qtrs = 226 gms, dimes = 114 gms, nics = 200 gms, cents = 113 grams. cent rolls in high 130 range= copper, wheats, indians or FLYING BIRDIE

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
even after getting insulted by 2 members of tnet, I still recommend weighing cwr rolls of all denominations. same happened to me and after a chat with bank they turned away the rolls the thief brought the next time. $10 halfs are 226 grams, 215 grams mean you are short one. must stress that you still search the roll regardless of weight. got a nickel roll this week that was 7 coins short but the dope left me a sweet 35 buffalo. minimum weight for qtrs = 226 gms, dimes = 114 gms, nics = 200 gms, cents = 113 grams. cent rolls in high 130 range= copper, wheats, indians or FLYING BIRDIE

So do you take your scale with you to the bank and weigh the rolls there at the counter?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Port Ewen - How do you account for well-worn/damaged coin? What does a roll of slick walkers weigh? What about holed halves? It seems you have it down to an exact science and have all the answers so I would appreciate an answer to the above questions. Thanks.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as stated, weight is just a tool to eliminate the need to count each roll, and to know my exact dump amount at the machine. started crh in feb 2013, with current total: 5k halfs = 0 silver, 10k qtrs.= 3 silver, 25k dimes= 69 silver, 15k nickels= 205 war, "V", buff, 6 proofs, 49s's, 55's,51s's,38 d&s's, 39d&s's, plus many au to ms 1940 thru late 1960's, 14k cents= 5 Indians, 937 wheat, 1735 pre-97 canadian. my meager experience at crh leaves me open to giving AND receiving tips and advise, to each his own.

Last edited:

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as stated, weight is just a tool to eliminate the need to count each roll, and to know my exact dump amount at the machine. started crh in feb 2013, with current total: 5k halfs = 0 silver, 10k qtrs.= 3 silver, 25k dimes= 69 silver, 15k nickels= 205 war, "V", buff, 6 proofs, 49s's, 55's,51s's,38 d&s's, 39d&s's, plus many au to ms 1940 thru late 1960's, 14k cents= 5 Indians, 937 wheat, 1735 pre-97 canadian. my meager experience at crh leaves me open to giving AND receiving tips and advise, to each his own.

Again do you weigh the rolls there at the bank?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

I'm not impressed. You stated the weights without equivocation. I asked how do you account for factors where coins are not full weight.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not impressed. You stated the weights without equivocation. I asked how do you account for factors where coins are not full weight.

Exactlt If you have several that are fairly worn the weight will be low then you'll think your short

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
at my banks the tellers will only accept the rolls declared if you coin lock them for counting, otherwise they will count them all.

In my experience buying all the CWR dimes & quareters at a huge Chase branch only cost ME mony. The dimes were pretty honest but the quarters were packed with pennies, nickles, dimes, and pesos. Ya I found silver so it probably evened out but I could have just gone to the LCS and bought it stress free. No one likes to lose money.

hotrod

Bronze Member
May 12, 2012
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't say a word!
My area has recently been ruined
I guess some other kids are coming in and shorting boxes of half dollars
1 per roll
And now I'm cut off by all the surrounding banks
They must have done it to at least every bank without 10 miles of my house

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't say a word!
My area has recently been ruined
I guess some other kids are coming in and shorting boxes of half dollars
1 per roll
And now I'm cut off by all the surrounding banks
They must have done it to at least every bank without 10 miles of my house

Dude that sux-sorry to hear

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not weigh at bank, but I might do it if buying halfs. when I informed BofA about a load of cwr's that were short they knew the identity of customer and refused his next drop off. I was amazed when she refunded the short amount to me.
Again do you weigh the rolls there at the bank?

Jav

Dec 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not weigh at bank, but I might do it if buying halfs. when I informed BofA about a load of cwr's that were short they knew the identity of customer and refused his next drop off. I was amazed when she refunded the short amount to me.

That is awesome. This is the reason why I always make sure my dump rolls are spot on. I don't want to give the banks any reason to stop me from dropping off the coins!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in reply to DIVERDOWN and IAMRUSSELL you both have valid points. my point is that cent rolls vary widely, so who cares if pennies are short, a nickel roll at 195 will be short 1, a dime roll at 111.5 or so will be short 1, a qtr roll at 221 will also likely be short 1. wear of 2.5 grams in a roll of dimes would a huge amount and the coins would be worthless. we all want rolls that are heavier than nominal weight of clad as that means SILVER. also to correct my total yields for the year my cent total is 1.4k not 14k. the 4 minutes it takes to weigh 50 rolls is no big deal .

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
in reply to DIVERDOWN and IAMRUSSELL you both have valid points. my point is that cent rolls vary widely, so who cares if pennies are short, a nickel roll at 195 will be short 1, a dime roll at 111.5 or so will be short 1, a qtr roll at 221 will also likely be short 1. wear of 2.5 grams in a roll of dimes would a huge amount and the coins would be worthless. we all want rolls that are heavier than nominal weight of clad as that means SILVER. also to correct my total yields for the year my cent total is 1.4k not 14k. the 4 minutes it takes to weigh 50 rolls is no big deal .

I'd open that whole box in 4 minutes, and then weigh the bag and adjust accordingly to 49.75lbs. Takes <5 minutes a box for sure.

rovnrbl53

Sep 29, 2011
Geez - I'd say my machine wrapped half rolls are short

more often than cwr....I've had as many as 5 - 6 rolls short in a box. Sometimes a couple of the rolls have an extra to offset but not generally.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread