kind of fun and interesting search

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A while back a teller told me when I approached that she had $100 in pennies for me. "All from the same person?" I asked and she said "Yes! She said the lady told her they were from her father who had collected "for years". As I searched them, hoping to find an older collection, I found that they were mostly 60s and 70s mostly uncirculated, not old. However, about every 2nd or 3rd roll had a really nice 1943 steel in it. For them to be injected in the rolls the way they were it had to be intentional, not random. Well, the next time in the same bank the teller said she had $75 more from the same lady. They turned out to be just like the first batch. I ended up with 145 steel cents and not one wheat from any other year. Makes you wonder what people are thinking when they roll them up - to spread out the steel cents like that and keep all the copper wheat cents.

Upvote 0

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's really cool! Agreed with FormerTeller -- there may have been some other cool stuff in other stuff she deposited. War nickels, silver dimes/quarters/halves, etc.

That's something I'm trying to train myself to remember, actually. When I pick up a batch of CWR halves, especially if they look old, I should remember to ask if there were any other coins that came in at the same time. Just in case!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is neat. I find that some people spread out their foreign change throughout their rolls to make it less "suspicious" if tellers are looking for that... Maybe the person thought they were foreign and spread them out throughout the rolls.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or maybe someone trying to spark interest in coin collecting-

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread