It took just over 200,000 cents, but I finally got a nice one.

Infector101

Mar 20, 2012
Lake Wallenpaupack, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After searching just over $2000 in cents, I finally found a nice proof, a 1978-S in a $50 bag. Not sure why proof pennies are so rare. I've found several nickel, dime, quarter, and half proofs, but this is my first nice cent proof (I found one other that was barely recognizable as a proof so it doesn't count to me). Some other notables from the bag (not pictured) were a 1919 (G-3), 1930-D (VG-8), and 1932 (VG-8).

1978-S Proof.jpg

Upvote 0

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
After searching just over $2000 in cents, I finally found a nice proof, a 1978-S in a $50 bag. Not sure why proof pennies are so rare. I've found several nickel, dime, quarter, and half proofs, but this is my first nice cent proof (I found one other that was barely recognizable as a proof so it doesn't count to me).

I too have noticed that it is easier to find a proof nickel, dime, quarter or half than a proof penny.
The only explanation I can offer is that production of proof pennies is the same as proof nickels, dimes, and quarters. But made for circulation pennies have a much higher mintage than other coins. In fact the mint makes more pennies than all the rest of the coins added up.
(2013 mintage numbers from The United States Mint)
Penny: 6.9 billion
Nickel: 1.2 billion
Dime: 2.1 billion
Quarter: 1.5 billion
Half: 9.6 million
Dollar: 37 million

Thus proof pennies represent a smaller percentage of all pennies minted as compared to the percentage of nickels/dimes/quarters/halves that are proof.

or it is just a fluke!

Last edited:

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to wonder if the majority come from crooks cashing in stolen coins at the bank or spending them. Who pays the premium for a proof set & then breaks it up and dumps some of the coins ? It makes no sense but I agree they are out there.

Most clad proof sets aren't worth a whole lot. A LCS near me gives out clad proof coins as change sometimes. I've also seen some coin shops giving only face (or less!) for clad proof sets. You really can't give them away anymore. I'd say that some of them are people who take it in to a coin shop only to find out they're pretty much worthless.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions