51.9 KB · Views: 88
Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
not too bad.....I couldn't complain about results like that either. I hope u don't have to stop hunting boxes for too long. Ive had to stop for a couple of months myself but I hope to be ordering boxes again later this week.

H$H!

PennyRoll

Mar 29, 2013
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a easy question, I've never done halves but am thinking about a box or two to order soon. Do the 40% halves have a silver edge? What about the 90%'s? Or do you have to date check halves? I haven't really looked into it much, that's more something I do after I get the coins haha.

SilverHoarder07

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a easy question, I've never done halves but am thinking about a box or two to order soon. Do the 40% halves have a silver edge? What about the 90%'s? Or do you have to date check halves? I haven't really looked into it much, that's more something I do after I get the coins haha.

Any 90% coin is going to shine and almost glow when mixed with clad in a roll. The 40% halves are usually very easy to spot edge checking as well. These coins from what I understand are 90% silver bonded over a copper core which averages out the weight to about 40% silver overall.

You will find 40% coins that are worn have copper type edges essentially cause silver has been lost through the years and likely due to some use in a slot machine back in the day. Occasionally the face or reverse may also be worn to the point where moisture will rust that part...I will try to get you some pictures if possible.

Overall from my experience with half dollars, it doesn't make a whole lotta sense to date check... The silvers you find this way are few and far between and likely not worth melt. I advise you date check a couple grand to see how long it takes you in comparison too edge checking and decide if it's worth it at that point.

Some might chime in that a dirty edge can trick you but after awhile you get to a point where you know the difference between a dirty silver and a typical clad - when in doubt, check!

Please let me know if I can clarify anything and good luck with whichever method you choose!

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ill agree with silverhoarder to a point- I would definitely rim then date check the 1st couple thousand dollars at min so you get a feel for the 40% ers cause they can be tricky- they can be as shiny as a 90% and then dull and not noticeable at all- then you can rim check if you want- ive been hunting halves constantly now-10boxes a week- for about 6months and just now feel comfortable to rim check only and then I date check any dirty or odd looking ones- i was also looking for NIFCs to complete a couple sets so thats why i date checked for so long but now that those are done im rim checking the majority of the time-
Good luck HH

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

PennyRoll

Mar 29, 2013
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Any 90% coin is going to shine and almost glow when mixed with clad in a roll. The 40% halves are usually very easy to spot edge checking as well. These coins from what I understand are 90% silver bonded over a copper core which averages out the weight to about 40% silver overall.

You will find 40% coins that are worn have copper type edges essentially cause silver has been lost through the years and likely due to some use in a slot machine back in the day. Occasionally the face or reverse may also be worn to the point where moisture will rust that part...I will try to get you some pictures if possible.

Overall from my experience with half dollars, it doesn't make a whole lotta sense to date check... The silvers you find this way are few and far between and likely not worth melt. I advise you date check a couple grand to see how long it takes you in comparison too edge checking and decide if it's worth it at that point.

Some might chime in that a dirty edge can trick you but after awhile you get to a point where you know the difference between a dirty silver and a typical clad - when in doubt, check!

Please let me know if I can clarify anything and good luck with whichever method you choose!
That's a great explanation and basically what I was hoping to be answered. Thanks very much and good luck to you in your searching. You also sound like you've been searching halves for a while along with iamrussell as well, if you had to guess, what's your average of getting skunked on boxes of halves? I realize it's different for everyone but still. My bank roll gets smaller and smaller each copper cent found and I don't have the bank roll to get more than barely one box at the moment and ordering a box would tie up funds quick, though it shouldn't take long to look through the box, just more final thoughts before actually ordering a box..

PennyRoll

Mar 29, 2013
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Ill agree with silverhoarder to a point- I would definitely rim then date check the 1st couple thousand dollars at min so you get a feel for the 40% ers cause they can be tricky- they can be as shiny as a 90% and then dull and not noticeable at all- then you can rim check if you want- ive been hunting halves constantly now-10boxes a week- for about 6months and just now feel comfortable to rim check only and then I date check any dirty or odd looking ones- i was also looking for NIFCs to complete a couple sets so thats why i date checked for so long but now that those are done im rim checking the majority of the time-
Good luck HH

Sorry, I'm a little limited on resources for what I'm on, what are NIFC' s? And is there a point to keep the bicentennials? I see quite a few out there and go out of my way just to pick them up, but is it worth it to collect them besides just the, for lack of a better term, ability to have them for a collection?

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you had to guess, what's your average of getting skunked on boxes of halves? I realize it's different for everyone but still. ..

Definitely different in all areas of the country- where im at (midwest to west) my boxes pretty much suck- I do 10 a week and avg 9 skunks and only 1-3ag mostly 40% in the 1 non skunk box- others find 1or more per box- youll never know how your area is until you do some- if all you can do is one start there- thats where I started over a yr ago- then I worked up to 2 then 3 then 4 and so on- if I had more time I would do more but I do what I can and stack what I can

PennyRoll

Mar 29, 2013
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
youll never know how your area is until you do some- if all you can do is one start there- thats where I started over a yr ago- then I worked up to 2 then 3 then 4 and so on- if I had more time I would do more but I do what I can and stack what I can

Thanks for the advice! Maybe I'll just order a box here and there, I do love my cents after all..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread