Maybe we are approaching this the wrong way.... (Ryedales)

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe we are approaching this the wrong way.... (Ryedale's)

Just looking for your guys thoughts on this,

So I know a lot of people use their Ryedale's to sort out copper cents, and then bring the rejects back to the bank. But sadly, all the pre-43 coins and foreign coins are in there as well. Has anyone considered using their Ryedale to sort for zinc, and then run through the rejects by hand to take out the copper/ foreign/ wheat/ etc..?? I was running coins through to take the copper ones out, and then running the rejects through again to take the zinc-rejects out, but I feel like it is more wear and tear than my machine needs. If I sort the zinc out, I can just look through all the rest. What do you guys think?

Happy Holidays! Thanks!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Omega

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
image-392029128.jpg

crhgymnast1

Jun 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol yup, 250 bags for $180 bucks

Do u need to buy havlf bags as well? Also what banks are the best for dumping with bags? Sorry to ask so many questions ive been crh for a year but am finalky going to do some volume

OP
OP
Omega

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Depends were you are, just gotta test the waters and see what happens. Shoot me a PM if you really want to talk.
HH

mineralized_miner

Dec 2, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster GT
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because pre 1942 and other valuable coins such as indian head pennies go in the Zinc pile, could it be possible to make a ryedale like machine with an old metal detector with discriminationn? On my metal detectors, pre-1942 pennies ring up just the same as dimes, newer wheats, and coppers, as well as an 1863 IH penny. Just get a cheapo coin sorter with a rotary disk thing, hook it up to a rheostat to make it go slow enough, then wire up the battery contacts with an old cell phone charger, and then discriminate out zinc and have all the coppers go into one pile instead of beeping and the zinc pennies going into another pile? I know that is the essential idea behind the ryedale sorters, but I think using an old metal detector with a small shooter coil would be more accurate, and tou could potentially have it running just as fast or faster than a ryedale if you use a really sensitive machine like a Fisher F2 or a DeepTech machine (only 2 I know with REALLY fast recovery time).

Just an idea. Making one, if you have a spare detector laying around, probably would be cheaper than buying a ryedale sorter, plus you have the feeling of accomplishment knowing you made a working device that can compete with the big boys. To get even more advanced, someone experienced with robotics can hok up a visual sensor to like a ferris wheel-like thing and have it read the dates of the coins as they go by, and put them in to piles of dates andmintmarks, with a seperate pile for unidentifiable corroded clads and foreign/indian head/beat up pennies it cannot identify. Sounds complicated and expensive, though, as PHDs in electrical engineering don't come cheap.

Just an idea, but Good luck and Happy hunting!
mineralized_miner

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know... I've tried a couple different ways, but I've found that the only way to truly get everything you want out of the machine, is to sit near one end with a flashlight in your hand and just watch. I feel like you're always going to miss something...

Like I said, I've found 10 ih's since I've been doing this, which has only been about a year, and I didn't do anywhere near 600 a week

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread