Maybe we are approaching this the wrong way.... (Ryedales)

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe we are approaching this the wrong way.... (Ryedale's)

Just looking for your guys thoughts on this,

So I know a lot of people use their Ryedale's to sort out copper cents, and then bring the rejects back to the bank. But sadly, all the pre-43 coins and foreign coins are in there as well. Has anyone considered using their Ryedale to sort for zinc, and then run through the rejects by hand to take out the copper/ foreign/ wheat/ etc..?? I was running coins through to take the copper ones out, and then running the rejects through again to take the zinc-rejects out, but I feel like it is more wear and tear than my machine needs. If I sort the zinc out, I can just look through all the rest. What do you guys think?

Happy Holidays! Thanks!

Upvote 0

uncubano13

Jun 25, 2013
Wyoming, MI
Detector(s) used
Bought 2 of them from garage sales
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a guy that does exactly that, runs zinc and then sorts out from the copper pile

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
I asked the question Jan 14, 2013 on this site, the thread was entitled. "Ryedale question"

How do you separate the IH from the wheats from the copper Lincoln Memorials from Canadian coppers

For me, I would rather have the pre1943 than post 1943

The answer was start with a zinc penny

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I asked the question Jan 14, 2013 on this site, the thread was entitled. "Ryedale question"

How do you separate the IH from the wheats from the copper Lincoln Memorials from Canadian coppers

For me, I would rather have the pre1943 than post 1943

The answer was start with a zinc penny

Thats what I was thinking too.

Holmes08

Greenie
Nov 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I check all my pennies individually, No reason to miss errors, wheats, or proofs. I personally am not a fan of the Ryedale however I wish you luck with your new adventure

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to run using a new penny to compare - but you are still going to need to check your zinc pile, I caught many older Lincolns. Caught a few of them while dumping into the penny arcade

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I check all my pennies individually, No reason to miss errors, wheats, or proofs. I personally am not a fan of the Ryedale however I wish you luck with your new adventure

He's looking to sell copper cents by volume - if he date checked he would go out of business.

SilverHoarder07

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just looking for your guys thoughts on this,

So I know a lot of people use their Ryedale's to sort out copper cents, and then bring the rejects back to the bank. But sadly, all the pre-43 coins and foreign coins are in there as well. Has anyone considered using their Ryedale to sort for zinc, and then run through the rejects by hand to take out the copper/ foreign/ wheat/ etc..?? I was running coins through to take the copper ones out, and then running the rejects through again to take the zinc-rejects out, but I feel like it is more wear and tear than my machine needs. If I sort the zinc out, I can just look through all the rest. What do you guys think?

Happy Holidays! Thanks!

You have just the right idea...I switched to this method awhile back. I believe it was Mental Unrest who clued me in (thanks btw). I recently started selling my copper hoard and have been hand searching my massive pile of coppers prior to packaging and thus far have pulled about. $2.60 in wheats mixed in. Tons of 40s and 50s but have several teens, 20s and 30s as well . Oldest found so far is a 1910 no mint mark...I am surprised how man S mint wheats were tied in ! Mostly late 40s only about $400-500 left to search lol

Short if it, these coins were sorted prior to me switching methods so some earlier wheats will still make it in the copper pile :)

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
No, "everyone" using their Ryedale to sort for copper with a COPPER cent as the reference coin The best bet would be a two phase system. One ryedale with copper for a reference coin and another with zinc refernce coin to sort out the zinc.
homie there are two kinds of people in this world, those who use copper as a reference coin and those who use zinc it only makes sense to unite us all

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
So I must not be understanding this right. how is it different at all? Im so confused! All it does is reverse the spots the coins come out...
Anyone explain in detail pleaaase.
But I did notice in my "non copper" pile a old wheat (1919)
Wicka

OP
OP
Omega

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
So I must not be understanding this right. how is it different at all? Im so confused! All it does is reverse the spots the coins come out...
Anyone explain in detail pleaaase.
But I did notice in my "non copper" pile a old wheat (1919)
Wicka

Exactly! If a copper cent is in the shoot, everything dated 44-82 will drop through, and everything else will be rejected. If a zinc is in the shoot, it will drop all the zinc through and reject all copper, all wheats, all IHs, and all foreign coins, and dimes into the reject bucket.

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Exactly! If a copper cent is in the shoot, everything dated 44-82 will drop through, and everything else will be rejected. If a zinc is in the shoot, it will drop all the zinc through and reject all copper, all wheats, all IHs, and all foreign coins, and dimes into the reject bucket.

Oooooh! now it makes sense. Thanks a bunch Omega! :D

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I kind of eluded to this in a post on one of your threads about a month ago.

The machine is not 100% accurate so no matter what you do you're going to run into this problem.

What I do is I use it exactly the way it came when I bought it from Andy, I use a penny box for the "accept" box, and a quarter box for the "reject" box. And I just sit there with an led flashlight and watch the reject box. I've found hundreds of wheats and 10 ih's that would have otherwise
Been dumped this way.

Hope that helps

OP
OP
Omega

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
I would do that, but its hard with 600+ a week in pennies along with my 20k+ in halfs and being a full time student. So far, running for zinc is working great, finding a lot more foreign and pre 30's stuff.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think back in the day when copper was worth more (when they used to sell for 2+ cents each on eBay), it would be very inefficient (much less profitable) to search any other way than using a copper cent to compare with. You were better off letting the Indians/older coins go than to waste time looking for them. Volume was your friend. Now the markup is so low that unless you search cents for fun, it's not worth the time or $ to even use a Ryedale or sort cents.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you're thinking to do ryedale volume just buy 2 of them, sorting by hand or rerunning is a colossal waste of time for a paltry $500 or less now for a dale.

crhgymnast1

Jun 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would do that, but its hard with 600+ a week in pennies along with my 20k+ in halfs and being a full time student. So far, running for zinc is working great, finding a lot more foreign and pre 30's stuff.
do you dump all of that by machines?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread