Question on rarity

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I remember someone here a couple of years ago saying they found a CC Morgan dollar in the trash next to coin counter one time. :icon_scratch:

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a 40% quarter once, none of that other stuff (to my knowledge)- it's the quarter in the plastic case
HH
-GC
IMG_0127.JPG

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
an Isabella quarter seems very unrealistic because of how rare Washington quarters are, but in this hobby you never know what you might get!

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Found a 40% quarter once, none of that other stuff (to my knowledge)- it's the quarter in the plastic case
HH
-GC
View attachment 919957

Wow. With how few people hunt quarters and how many quarters are out there, and the fact that no one is probably looking for a 40% quarter, I guess it either had a bright rim or you caught in on the sound? 40% quarter in the wild - to say that's a 1 in a million is a gross understatement.

Here's a question back for you - do you think there are more gold coins found CRH'ing or 40% quarters? I'd guess gold by a factor of 5 or 10.

Nice work

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been through $50,000 in quarters, I caught it by sound, since that's now I search. It was certainly a very improbably find, but it was the last coin I needed for the 40% trifecta- quarter, half, and dollar. I've personally seen more gold coins crh'ing ( refer to my post on http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...have-found-real-gold-coins-while-crh-ing.html ) and I've been here since before they created this forum.

HH
-GC

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Very early this year I found a Proof Silver DIME in a dime box. That got me excited to say the least.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had my fair share of (modern, post-1992) proof silver dimes in my dime boxes, every time I pull one it is the same kind of thrill!

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I remember correctly someone on here posted about finding a 40% quarter this year. Vending machine find rings a bell. Might have been in a box though

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
All very cool. I doubt I'll ever find a clad proof dime or '96-W because I'm only edge checking them. Same goes for non-silver proof quarter. I've found 2 proof pennies and the wife and kids have found 5-6 proof nickels but I've never been able to find one. Have found multi-war nickel rolls and multi buffalo rolls but can't seem to snag a proof nickel. If I ever found a 40% quarter I'd stop hunting quarters, would be done. I'll find a Morgan before I'll find a 40$ quarter.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
All very cool. I doubt I'll ever find a clad proof dime or '96-W because I'm only edge checking them. Same goes for non-silver proof quarter. I've found 2 proof pennies and the wife and kids have found 5-6 proof nickels but I've never been able to find one. Have found multi-war nickel rolls and multi buffalo rolls but can't seem to snag a proof nickel. If I ever found a 40% quarter I'd stop hunting quarters, would be done. I'll find a Morgan before I'll find a 40$ quarter.

Clad proof dimes and quarters stand out like a sore thumb. If you see a pristine 'new' looking edge, pull it. It could very well be a proof.

HH!
- DS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions