Results, 3 rolls of Washington dollars

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
...OK, I know there won't be any old coins in these, but some interesting finds. My first impression - the mint should be ashamed. These coins were already beat up before they ever came out of the mint wrappers! Especially the rims where the date / mintmark / mottos are located, but many gouges on the fronts and backs. Several had deep gouges and most of the rims were really beat up and ugly. Any bets as to how long the incused date and mint marks will last? My prediction - not long.

I was kinda hoping I would find some with the date / mintmark / mottos missing, but no such luck.

How many nice examples did I find in 2 rolls? A grand total of 4 without major damage. The two rolls I opened were 2007-P's. I left one roll unopened for future posterity. I did drop a couple in a vending machine at work -- they were detected as $1 coins.

HH,
Bob

Upvote 0

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Hey bob, I was dissapointed the first second I saw them. As well as the other 2 failed attempts by the mint to make a new dollar coin. What is wrong with them. Make the damn thing BIGGER. Don't color it. And make it out of something other than aluminum or whatever it is...

pizzaman55792

Jun 16, 2006
Northern Minnesota
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter pioneer 202, ace 250
i get the feeling the coins issued for circulation are beat up on purpose so they can get extra cash from the collectors willing to pay more than face to get them direct from the mint.

RaptorSE

Sep 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE SunRay X-1
HobBob,

You got that right on the nose. I can't believe how shotty this first run is,
for being the "all new great dollar series". Pfffftt. Horrible horrible. Im
all for dollar coins, but these stink LOL.

How bout a heavy, larger dollar. Or even something funky like the Canadian 2
metal coins... Copper center/outter nickel color etc.

Something. They cant expect these to catch on very well, when they are so
overwhelmingly boring. The only good thing about it, is alot more $1 denominations
to fall on the ground for metal detectorists :) That I like haha.

Feb 20, 2007
USA
I have a roll and I am keeping the roll intact. That will keep me from dissapointment. ;D

PAyoungin

Dec 8, 2006
Schuylkill County, PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Hopefully
Does anyone feel that keeping whole rolls of the Washington Dollars could be prosperous or should I just split them open and hope I get lucky with an error? Thanks
PAyoungin

bongo1962

Feb 4, 2007
Buick City
I sold 10 pairs of the right side up and upside down on ebay. Then I ate the listing fee on the last two pairs. I would say keep the roll intact, they are still making a small profit. Unless you got the roll in Fla. then I'd split her open. Got nothing to lose either way, still got ten bucks no matter what! Bongo

jasonbo

Nov 1, 2005
Round Rock, Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace250 / Cibola
So i got 3 rolls today the wrappers said PA but there all marked D

They were entirley beat up some had light pressings some had deep pressings out of the 3 rolls

or 25 per roll

13 upside down 12 rightside up on all 3 rolls so it seems that this is normal. I had a couple i thought the date was missing but it was a very light impression so light a week in the pocket it wont have a date.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions