maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I see some halves that have that greenish kinda powdery residue on them in my boxes every so often, that's what I think too, they have been in a moist environment at some point in their life. I always ask for "The Big Old Dollars" too, ya never know when you're going to get handed a Peace or Morgan, of course I'm still waiting for that to happen :tongue3:. HH, Maverick.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry u didn't get anything good. I was kinda hoping when I clicked on your post that Id see u hit the silver dollar jackpot....lol. That's the jackpot I get hoping I'll find someday. But I think tellers probably keep most of the good old dollar coins they get so it makes them even harder to find. And I sometimes get dirty mildew green customer half dollars too. Sometimes I get lucky and find a few silver with them like I did a couple of weeks ago when a teller told me she had some dirty half dollar rolls but most of the time they are usually just dirty clad. But u never know.....maybe next time one of us will hit the silver dollar jackpot! :coins:

H$H!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What did your rug do to deserve the torture you've done to it?! Those IKES are nasty!! All joking aside, I've gotten ikes like that. One time a bank sold me $100 worth of "Nasty big dollars", I glanced in the unopened bag, jiggled the coins around, did not see or hear any silver, and dumped the ikes at the bank down the road. I was told the ikes were moldy because they were in a flood in somebody's basement.
You never know though, always buy them all!

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I would assume as you said, probably just got wet and mildewed. I usually get 40%ers that are grimy and green like that, but I digress.

My girlfriend had a bucket of coins that sat on her back porch for about 3 years and her grandpa made it a habit to throw his cigarette butts in that bucket. Cigs + rain water = gross coins.

I was able to fish out about 2 Ikes and 10 SBAs. Needless to say, those all got spent.

Good luck finding some good stuff and maybe next time you'll get some silver in with those gross coins!

HH!
- DS

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Yeah I was laughing when I got them because like all of us when the teller said 'they're old and dirty' I had visions of them handing me $62 worth of bust dollars, including 3 previously unknown examples of the 1804. We've all had old and dirty stories that ended well (some are even CRH related). But sometimes old and dirty coins are just old dirty clad, as was the case this time.

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad got a call one time about old and dirty dollars and half dollars. When he went to pick them up, the teller said that my dad probably wouldn't want them, which turned out to be the case. They had been in bags in New Orleans when Katrina hit and had been in the flood waters for a long time. When they were salvaged, they had to disinfect them with the strongest thing they had, which horribly corroded the coins and turned them a dark green. My dad in turn bought one of each as curios from the Katrina Disaster.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got some from my Grandpa that were blues green and smelled like SHIIIIII...but it was from teh green wrapper it was in. When i touched it, it compltely fell apart

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread