Tobacco (cigars, ect) use among CRHers

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK! I will not tell you to quit; but I will say that you'll most likely be sorry (like I am). I started smoking cigs when I was 18. I quit when I was 58. I smoked for 40 years! I quit numerous times, sometimes for several months. Always started back. I started having acute bronchitis when I was about 50 years old. I was having several bouts with it each year. So I started trying to quit again. Yes, it's tough. I would try to smoke less and less; but it just wouldn't work for me. I would smoke less than a pack a day for a month or so, then back to 2 to 3+ packs a day. I finally got to the point that just thinking about inhaling a cig would make me cough (literally). I lit one on 9/29/2000, took a puff, inhaled, and coughed until I could hardly breathe. I put it out and never touched another. My health got steadily better. I had a bout of bronchitis in 2008; but it wasn't very bad. In 2010, I started having trouble breathing when I was active. Just making a bed 'winded' me. In November, 2011, the doctor ordered a oxygen concentrator and told me to use when I needed it. He said that I could use it 24/7 if necessary. I took a test to see check my lung function. It was 35%. Yes, only 35%; I had lost 65% of my lung function! A year later, 2012, it was down to 27%. In mid 2013, it was still 27%. I am on three meds daily just for my lungs, use the oxygen at night and occasionally during the day, and anytime that I'm making the bed, sweeping, mopping, etc. I carry an emergency inhaler when I go out. I have a bottle of oxygen in the Jeep. When I go to the store, I can shop for a long time if I take it slow. If I get in a hurry, I have to use the inhaler or go to the Jeep and use the oxygen; sometimes both. It is definitely not much fun to go out anymore! I'm 71 and want to get back to detecting. I'm trying to walk a mile a day on the tread mill to help my breathing so I can get out when spring gets here. I also, think that detecting will be great exercise for my breathing (and belly); swinging the detector, kneeling, getting up, etc.
So, NO, I won't tell you to stop smoking; but as the old saying goes: 'You'll be sorry!' My wife's uncle smoked the same number of years, is 78 years old and still jogs. He's had pacemaker, knee replacement, etc.; but still does just fine. I don't what made me this way and not him. Maybe it was the drinking, womanizing, barroom fights, etc. (even a 3+ year stint in prison) that made the difference. I really don't know; but maybe I should have done the same as he did and I wouldn't be in the shape that I'm in now!!!!!!!!!!!

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smoking is bad for you. I don't touch those cancer sticks. Instead I use smokeless tobacco which is way better for you. j/k I guess this makes me the first habitual tobacco using CRHer.

I'm in my mid thirties and been dipping almost 20 years. It was kind of a culture thing for me growing up in a small town, raising animals, FFA, ect... It wasn't looked at as bad. I remember seeing preachers dipping at church events. My Ag teacher (Ag meaning agriculture) smoked and dipped at the same time, while teaching class. Today you probably wouldn't look at me and think "He uses smokeless tobacco". I'm an accountant living in suburbia. I've never tried to quit. Never really wanted to. Ironically I'm at a point right now where I'm considering it. I have a small medical issue that may be exacerbated by my use.

OP
OP
50cent

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with all of you, that cigarettes are cancer sticks, but, the occasional cigar (1 or 2) a year? Almost two different animals.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes like Maverick said, Vaping!!! Screw all the million poisons in the tar of smoke... pure nicotine is the way to go, at low dosages of course! lol... I started at 18 mg, but now vape 10-12 mg... got me off cigs so easily... its just as much fun, without any of the nastyness... plus you can do it anywhere pretty much... I do it at work all day

Vape on!

OP
OP
50cent

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes like Maverick said, Vaping!!! Screw all the million poisons in the tar of smoke... pure nicotine is the way to go, at low dosages of course! lol... I started at 18 mg, but now vape 10-12 mg... got me off cigs so easily... its just as much fun, without any of the nastyness... plus you can do it anywhere pretty much... I do it at work all day

Vape on!

Infowarrior it's nice to see you posting again homie.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been Vaping since Sox won the Series...not looking back.. no smokes since, proud of myself I must say.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread