Half Dollar Action

Silverbooya

Greenie
Jan 6, 2014
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Other
Has anyone had any luck finding half dollars lately? I visited several banks today and picked up all $440 worth at one but no luck. This was my first attempt. Next, I think I will try ordering a box or two from my bank. Another bank told me that I could buy their bag of half dollars from their coin machine when it fills up. So, I think I'm starting off with a good strategy. Just wondering if I'm too late getting in the game.

Upvote 0

SilverHoarder07

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found 6 90% and 71 40% this past weekend from 1k bag and 4 decent boxes .

I will make a thread soon.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silverbooya, go buy that bag! Welcome! It seems to be hit or miss.

SilverHoarder07

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do run the risk of hitting other hunters dumps but you could also score an entire collection.

Great results from just a 3k search.....did the bag have a lot of silver too?

I'll save that for the thread :)

Last edited:

lovelylea

Oct 3, 2011
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped about 6 months ago here. I did about 20 boxes of half's with not a single one. I went from 20 keepers a box 2 years ago , to 0 now!!

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like everyone else buy the bag- so much better a chance of getting a full collection dump- wish I ciuld find a bank to sellnme bags- as for my half finds himself just had a 47 box skunk streak ended with 1 lone 40%
More and more posters are finding less and less halves im seeing, or they just arent posting their finds ;-)

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

OP
OP
S

Silverbooya

Greenie
Jan 6, 2014
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the welcome smokeythecat! Hit or miss is expected. Should be a fun hobby! I'm already addicted.

OP
OP
S

Silverbooya

Greenie
Jan 6, 2014
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Other
Lovelylea, I can see how those percentages can be discouraging. Are you off to new adventures?

OP
OP
S

Silverbooya

Greenie
Jan 6, 2014
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Other
Ahh. So now it seems it may only be the chance of someone depositing coins and not knowing what they have, lamrussell. Hmm. Since I'm new, I'll try to just do on a regular basis, such as weekly orders of boxes and hope to get lucky. The one bank I found that sells their bags I'll have to keep up with. They also have other branches so I might check with them as well.

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pro-tip: Take in $60 of your own halves to FILL the bag, then have them sell it back to you immediately. This ensures that it doesn't get sold out from under you or some other bank employee decides they can't sell it to you before it fills up.

I used this to get a bag recently, because I was paranoid that the "sure, we'll call you when it fills up" promise would somehow get broken. I found 2 90% and 6 or 7 40% in that bag, out of the $465 or so that weren't my own halves.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped about 6 months ago here. I did about 20 boxes of half's with not a single one. I went from 20 keepers a box 2 years ago , to 0 now!!

Folks on here are still finding silver, but there seems to be a consistent theme that the numbers are not as good as they used to be.

OP
OP
S

Silverbooya

Greenie
Jan 6, 2014
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Other
Pro-tip: Take in $60 of your own halves to FILL the bag, then have them sell it back to you immediately. This ensures that it doesn't get sold out from under you or some other bank employee decides they can't sell it to you before it fills up.

I used this to get a bag recently, because I was paranoid that the "sure, we'll call you when it fills up" promise would somehow get broken. I found 2 90% and 6 or 7 40% in that bag, out of the $465 or so that weren't my own halves.

Excellent tip! Thanks jamesandsons!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread