Buying Large Bags of Dollars Question

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was talking to my banker and he mentioned that I could order a bag of large dollars (Ikes). There is a charge of 5 dollars per bag (bag holds 500 one dollar coins). I Was just wondering if anyone has done this and have they found any or enough silver to make it worth the gamble. I am interested if anyone still finds peace or Morgan dollars anymore.

Cheers - Koffee

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yf30

Dec 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you mean half dollars?

There's no way to know until you try it. I would order 2-3 bags and see if anything comes up. If so it may be worth it. Are these bags from customers or from the Fed?

OP
OP
Koffee

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry I was no clear. These are bags of large Dollars (Ikes).

Cheers - Koffee

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go for it! Get 2-3 & see what happens. In fact, I'd buy them all day long at that price because you can easily turn around & sell them on eBay for a small profit. You will get something good eventually.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd most likely be willing to gamble $5 occasionally.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya id be willing to buy a bag of $500 for $5 id love to search them on a regular basis and i can usually sell them for $1.25 each locally

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5 dollar is so minimal. you spend more on that in gas driving around looking for loose halves, and the occasional ike.

OP
OP
Koffee

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just ordered 2 bags and they should be here tomorrow afternoon.

Cheers - Koffee

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let us know how they turn out.

HH

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll add to what others said. At 1 cent extra per Ike I would do this all day long. I used to find Ike's here and there in teller trays, and some tellers had as much as $100 in Ikes that customers brought in. However, for months now I have been finding zero Ikes. Even tellers that don't snipe silver like taking Ikes as a novelty. I find them impossible to order - the vault tellers know what "large dollars" are but say they can't order them.

I've never had a problem selling common clad Ikes at a profit, so even if you don't score any keepers you will easily make back your $5 and more. Plus, you have a shot at silver Ikes, Peace and Morgan dollars, Type II's, etc.

A no-brainer.

OP
OP
Koffee

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up two bags. I did not get anything special but I did find a roll of bank rolled bu dollars in one of the bags of loose coins.

Cheers - Koffee

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I picked up two bags. I did not get anything special but I did find a roll of bank rolled bu dollars in one of the bags of loose coins.

Cheers - Koffee

So u got an original bank wrapped roll of bu Ikes in one of your bags? It was a $20 mwr? That should be worth a little something. I wish I could find a bank to order me a bag or two. If u can find buyers to sell your clad Ikes for a small profit I'd think it would be worth it to keep buying at least a few more bags to see if u might have any better luck.

H$H!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Koffee might be talking about small dollar coins since they did not specify what kind of coins they got. It would be neat to get a MWR of ikes though.

OP
OP
Koffee

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it was a roll of Ikes the label on the roll says "Bank of Den" I can not read the rest of it as it is just to faded. I might be over exuberant at BU as the coins on the ends look BU ish but without being able to examine the entire coin it is hard to say that these are all bu. I think I will just hold on to these as the roll is indeed old whether it is an original roll I am not positive on how to verify it.

Cheers - Koffee

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes it was a roll of Ikes the label on the roll says "Bank of Den" I can not read the rest of it as it is just to faded. I might be over exuberant at BU as the coins on the ends look BU ish but without being able to examine the entire coin it is hard to say that these are all bu. I think I will just hold on to these as the roll is indeed old whether it is an original roll I am not positive on how to verify it.

Cheers - Koffee

That's pretty cool. Idk if I've ever seen an obw roll of Ike's before or even any mwr of Ike's. I've sure never found one crhing. It's a 20 coin roll right? I was just checking and I couldn't find any auctions for mwr Ike's on ebay so I'm guessing they r probably fairly rare and I'm not sure how much one would be worth either. Considering how much cir clad Ike's sell for on ebay I would imagine a roll like that would be worth (or sell for) at least twice fv and maybe much more. If u decide to order more bags I hope u post your finds if any of those too.

Good luck and HH!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Koffee, would it be possible to share a picture of the bank wrapped ike roll? We'd love to see it, it's something many of us have never seen before.
Thanks for sharing,
HH
Buff

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've searched Ike's for over six straight years, never bags though.

I've dug more Morgan and Peace dollars than I've found through roll hunting, which is zero.

OP
OP
Koffee

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to post some pictures I need to read up on it the specifics for posting on this forum.

Nice job on digging Morgans I have been doing this for 15 years and 10 years seriously and have not found one.

Cheers - Koffee

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions