Hey guys, help me out here with these "Gold Plated?" Halves.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey everyone, so, up until recently I had been just throwing these things back, but I started hanging on to them ( for some reason) and all my proofs. So I have a couple of questions about these. Are these really gold plated? Are there just some places that just put a gold tone on some of these or some that were made that weren't really gold plated, just gold toned? Any info you could give me about them in general would be great!

Reason I am asking is because I decided to look a Ebay and see what these and clad proofs were selling for, well, surpizingly, I see that these are bringing anywhere from 2.00 on up each! ( I put "Gold Plated Halves" in the search box, before "certain people" decide to run to Ebay and find a couple that aren't and say I'm crazy) So, I just don't want to list these and get accused of false advertisement on there or something that could turn into a potential nightmare for me ( like refund or open case ect.) I had a lady try to send me back a sealed roll of the gold 1 dollar coins she bought from me claiming that they weren't real gold ( IDIOT) and I had to get ebay involved and I hate that stupid crap, I won by the way, but it was still a hassel. So here are some pics ( sorry for the quality) some are most are really shinny, mirror like, a few a just gold but not so shinny, and 1 or 2 look like the gold may be wearing off of them. Thanks again everyone. Oh, and I found these CRHing, so yes, this does have to do with CRHing before the stupidness starts. HH, Maverick.

Attachments

• DSCN1210.JPG
    DSCN1210.JPG
    241.5 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCN1207.JPG
    DSCN1207.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCN1208.JPG
    DSCN1208.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCN1209.JPG
    DSCN1209.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most will be plated with genuine 24K gold. Probably like 2 or maybe even 3 cents worth.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried selling a big lot of gold plated halves earlier in the year... $35 face value, and I started the bid at face+15% to cover the fees...

I had it listed for 2 weeks and no bids, so I just marked them and dumped them back in the system.

Gl man!

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Most will be plated with genuine 24K gold. Probably like 2 or maybe even 3 cents worth.

Hey Arkie, thanks, that's what I thought too, but figured I'd ask those who know more than me. HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I tried selling a big lot of gold plated halves earlier in the year... $35 face value, and I started the bid at face+15% to cover the fees...

I had it listed for 2 weeks and no bids, so I just marked them and dumped them back in the system.

Gl man!

Dang, Really? That's what I was thinking of doing, my wife says to break them up into smaller auctions, but don't really want to deal with all the headache of 3-4 auctions for little profit. Well, I may just try and see if anyone bites. I'll pm you back, just been busy man, appreciate the site info you sent me. HH, Maverick .

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey everyone, so, up until recently I had been just throwing these things back, but I started hanging on to them ( for some reason) and all my proofs. So I have a couple of questions about these. Are these really gold plated? Are there just some places that just put a gold tone on some of these or some that were made that weren't really gold plated, just gold toned? Any info you could give me about them in general would be great! Reason I am asking is because I decided to look a Ebay and see what these and clad proofs were selling for, well, surpizingly, I see that these are bringing anywhere from 2.00 on up each! ( I put "Gold Plated Halves" in the search box, before "certain people" decide to run to Ebay and find a couple that aren't and say I'm crazy) So, I just don't want to list these and get accused of false advertisement on there or something that could turn into a potential nightmare for me ( like refund or open case ect.) I had a lady try to send me back a sealed roll of the gold 1 dollar coins she bought from me claiming that they weren't real gold ( IDIOT) and I had to get ebay involved and I hate that stupid crap, I won by the way, but it was still a hassel. So here are some pics ( sorry for the quality) some are most are really shinny, mirror like, a few a just gold but not so shinny, and 1 or 2 look like the gold may be wearing off of them. Thanks again everyone. Oh, and I found these CRHing, so yes, this does have to do with CRHing before the stupidness starts. HH, Maverick.
wow looks dope. So let's say each one is about 1/3 of an ounce of gold that's...about 60,000 worth of au homie

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
The former-manufacturing-jeweler wife says they are vermeil, (pronounced ver-may). Basically they have a very fine coating of probably 10 karat gold electroplated onto the coin. It would take many thousands to equal an ounce of gold, assuming you could apply reverse electrolysis to remove the gold more or less intact. I have a few pieces I have collected with the idea of doing that in mind, but to later abandon the idea once I realized how economically nonviable it would be even with historically high prices (which gold is not at presently).

Real vermeil is gold plated onto pure sterling silver, which needless to say the halves are not, but the idea is much the same. The thickness is maybe a couple of microns. Hammered gold can cover a 100+ sq. feet per ounce, but electrolysis can expand that by many times.

A kewl idea for a collection might be an album made up of entirely such pieces. Bet you could get more than face value for such on feebay.

Rascal

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gl man!

I Tried the same thing with a lot of these around Christmas Time and did not have more then 3 views and no bids. I just dumped them

Cheers - Koffee

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get a fair amount of these. I have definitely seen some that were painted gold and not gold plated. I've also gotten a bunch that look like they were gold plated and then the plating started wearing off. I think as long as you only sell the ones that are definitely plated and not chipped/faded you should be fine. Also, you'll probably do better selling smaller lots or single coins. I think a lot of people would see it and buy one for $2-3 for the novelty factor, but I don't think you are going to find too many people that are going to want to buy a pile of them. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread