Ah cr*p, got the old F bomb...

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Yup - after getting boxes from one of my better regular source banks for like five years I got the old "F- Bomb" today. I was walking out and the business account manager approached me and inquired about what I was doing with all the coins. He then said that since I didn't have a personnel account there there was no reason why I should be getting them and that there was a cost associated with those rolls of coins. He said they charge all businesses $0.15 a roll.

I told him that yes that is true about the personnel account but I was responsible for a business account in the bank with over $200,000 in it at all times. I gave him my card and said look it up. He said he would and give me a call later in the afternoon. So he calls and says sorry since it was a business and not my personnel account it wouldn't relieve me of having to pay. He then says I would have to pay no matter what.

Shall I be vindictive and pull the $200,000 out of the bank where I have kept it for ten years and let them know that this bank manager was the reason? What says the CRH crowd? The money is only earning about 1% so there isn't a financial reason to leave it there and the guy was a bit of a d*ck about it. I could actually have quite a bit of fun with this and probably get the guy canned. Considering how much money they have made off this money in the past decade I did expect some consideration but this guy didn't care.

It was only four boxes a week but lately the finds wouldn't even cover the fees. Not the first time I've gotten the F-bomb but how much do you think they were making on that $200,000 a year I've left there? Well should it stay or should it go :skullflag::headbang:?

Maine_Jim

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ckm91377

Sep 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it doesn't look like it is necessary but one more vote for pulling your money out of that bank and doing your best to get the manager in trouble with whoever he answers to. I can't imagine being that much of a jacka$$ that you would risk that much in deposits over something as minor as this. I am sure there is another bank near you that would be happy to take your money-especially once you tell them why you are opening a new account.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a shame, but they don't care either way. I've cancelled vintage accounts over simple new monthly maintainance fees. It's a power trip on their part. Some businesses operate that way.

I work for one of the largest companies in the world. They stubbornly spend $1,000 to save one dollar, it's ridiculous.

Last edited:
OP
OP
maine_Jim

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I think I'll give him one more chance then if he is still a d*ck move the money to another bank. We already have a fairly large account in the local credit union so that really won't be hard to do. The only advantage to this bank is there is a branch near the business and we do tend to make a lot of deposits so it was purely used for convenience not ROI. There are three more banks another block away so it doesn't make that much of a difference. Hard to believe the guy had to go on such a power trip! As for business we are a fairly large multimedia company creating mostly audio content.

Maine_Jim

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First, I'm not into CRHing, YET. I have been thinking about it. I saw this thread with "F-bomb" in it, didn't know what it could mean on the forum, and read the posts. I'm a real nut when it comes to something like this. I won't say that I would cut off my nose to spite my face; but have close to it. Yes, I would make it a point to go to the manager and let him know that you are pulling your money because of him. I would NOT give him a second chance unless going to another bank or credit union is really a problem (distance, etc.) And, about the credit unions: I started using one instead of a bank about 6 years ago. Wouldn't go back to a bank! Some banks are really money-grabbers. I banked at a bank that was really handy; on the way to work, and on the way home. The fees kept going up and up. When I retired, I went to the bank and told a nice lady that I didn't intend to continue to pay them $12 per month, and sometimes more, just to keep my money in their bank. I was 62 years old. The lady told me that I should have asked when I turned 55 and I wouldn't have been paying these fees. I asked why I wasn't told about the 55+ feature. She said that it was just their policy NOT to tell anyone unless it meant a chance of them losing the account. I got my money and never went back to that bank.

StevePa

Sep 6, 2012
Lancaster, PA
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 di pro sl
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would pull the money but ask that it be paid in payments of 4 boxes of halves a week until the balance is 0.

I always swore that I will only work with banks that support this hobby.

It is a shame that this is happening. I had a bank do this to me after only like a few weeks but I had no leverage like you do. I think it is a joke considering some of my other banks will order as much as I want and do it happily.

Good luck,

Steven

73dguard

Mar 2, 2013
South Paris, ME
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD
Nokta Gold King
Teknetics AlphA 2000
Garrett Pointer Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Just curious, is the bank Key Bank? I heard others don't care for their practices either.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It appears you were told clearly you have no business being there acquiring coins with out a personal account and not paying .15 a roll for your business equivalent charge.. small wonder the bank has not failed, sponsoring your hobby like it has been,shudder.. Thus it may be time to do the business you don,t have elsewhere. I would rag on the manager on my way out and suggest some kid coming in the bank some day may have accounts he controls in the future so if he is coin hunting be nice to him, personal account or not or guess where he banks in the future,(hint ,not here.). What do you pay in interest and what do you charge using funds I control in regards to which institute they are booked in?
Who is your boss and how soon can we arrange to have him/her here to witness the account leaving that,s not my personal account that would save me .15 a roll? Lets get an appointment scheduled,shall we? Maybe some free coin books for the kids would be nice here wouldn,t it? In fact (insert managers name here) ,would you like to load these in my vehicle for me?
(At least I,m not bitter for ya.)

Last edited:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would give the bank a chance and if things don't get better, bring your account elsewhere and turn them into a dump bank. (easier said than done, I know).

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In sales, we learned never waste time with managers(yes men), always go straight to the owner. While that may not be an option with large bank, go to the managers next higher up, and/or the higher ups, higher up!

I wouldn't even putz around with that manager. I'd be having HIS boss call him to advise him he needs to have CASH ready for me to close my account. His boss would be aware of why my money is leaving. They would also be aware, that over the next few months, they may see many of their business accounts leaving, as I have a large network of business owners that we kinda "network" about what benefits us, and what doesn't.

I would secure my relationship with a new bank first(I hate to bluff or issue ultimatums if I am not going to follow through on them, what's the point). AND, just for spite, LOL!, I'd leave the minimum balance in the old bank, perhaps have it converted to a personal account, where I wouldn't accrue any fees, and, I'd still have a dump bank! Tell the mgr, you should be charging HIM .15 a roll, for all the coins you bring to THEM! (dirtwad banker). LOL!

Good luck and keep us posted of what you do. HH!

mineralized_miner

Dec 2, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster GT
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try to get him the can. He treated you unfairly because you made him/one of his employees do their jobs. A bank employee generally doesn't have to do much, and when they have to do something (a VERY small percentage, not nearly even most of them), they turn spiteful or fail to perform the task at all. Ask the owner if there really is such a policy that they have to pay a premium for coins. If he says no, tell him what happened.

travelerga

Sep 22, 2013
Silkhope Ga
Detector(s) used
(currently, Lobo & AT Pro) whites 6DB, 6000, Fisher 5 zx, Tesoro Bandito micromax,Sand Shark, Tejon. Garret GT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem with cash is, if over 10,000 you have to notify the feds, and to take that much cash you must give about 2 or 3 days notice to get that much into the bank , maybe longer, depending on how often they order money. I would leave the bank, sounds like he guy stuffed in the lockers during gym. LOL

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This ones easy ask the teller if they charge to dump. open a checking account for a couple hundred and dump dump dump in that account. After you pull your bread out. Works here.

Calico JAC

Jan 11, 2014
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I've been lurking for a while, but this was enough to get me to chime in.. one thing to ponder; banks will pit branches against each other for stats on deposits (as wells other things). So more important than your balance is how much $$ you deposit every year… A branch manager irritated me at a bank that I had business and personal accounts, so for the next year I made all my deposits at my new favorite branch, I'm sure somebody noticed 1.1m+! Then moved all accts, including a mortgage! Have a nice day!!...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you can get a better guaranteed rate somewhere else, I'd leave it. Good interest rates are not common, and a lot of what's out there is risky.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd hate to see someone get fired over this, so I'd give the guy one more chance even though 15 cents/roll is outrageous. If he still insists on the fees, by all means, pull the money and go to a CU or small bank.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread