Ah cr*p, got the old F bomb...

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Yup - after getting boxes from one of my better regular source banks for like five years I got the old "F- Bomb" today. I was walking out and the business account manager approached me and inquired about what I was doing with all the coins. He then said that since I didn't have a personnel account there there was no reason why I should be getting them and that there was a cost associated with those rolls of coins. He said they charge all businesses $0.15 a roll.

I told him that yes that is true about the personnel account but I was responsible for a business account in the bank with over $200,000 in it at all times. I gave him my card and said look it up. He said he would and give me a call later in the afternoon. So he calls and says sorry since it was a business and not my personnel account it wouldn't relieve me of having to pay. He then says I would have to pay no matter what.

Shall I be vindictive and pull the $200,000 out of the bank where I have kept it for ten years and let them know that this bank manager was the reason? What says the CRH crowd? The money is only earning about 1% so there isn't a financial reason to leave it there and the guy was a bit of a d*ck about it. I could actually have quite a bit of fun with this and probably get the guy canned. Considering how much money they have made off this money in the past decade I did expect some consideration but this guy didn't care.

It was only four boxes a week but lately the finds wouldn't even cover the fees. Not the first time I've gotten the F-bomb but how much do you think they were making on that $200,000 a year I've left there? Well should it stay or should it go :skullflag::headbang:?

Maine_Jim

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kawika18

Aug 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd hate to see someone get fired over this, so I'd give the guy one more chance even though 15 cents/roll is outrageous. If he still insists on the fees, by all means, pull the money and go to a CU or small bank.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

I can say this with 100% certainty, there is no way this guy would ever get fired over someone moving a 200K account to another bank. To the average Joe 200K seems like a lot, but to a bank, it realy is small potatos. However, you should still move your money to another bank if this guy really is going to charge you a fee to get coin.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a branch that wanted to charge a fee. It was a particular teller and the assistant manager. I stopped for a couple months. The teller was promoted and transferred to a different branch. A new manager was hired. The dynamics change and now I can order coins again.

Banks in my area have high turn-over on all levels (tellers most, assistant manager somewhat, manager least). If it is the same in your area, you can wait then wait a few months. Otherwise, I agree with other people here move your money.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pull the 200k with him doing so and open a personal account with the same branch with as little as you can and double your crh! lol that will teach him.

chkn

Apr 12, 2010
Well, I'd be kind of peeved since they've been sitting on your money for free. I'd make a move if you can do better.

xnytxowlx

Sep 15, 2013
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a high-end personal account with wells fargo, where I have been ordering 8 boxes a week for 6 months. They are now charging for boxes... I have closed the larger accounts and am in the process of closing the last one once I ensure all linked items are linked elsewhere. Go find a bank who wants your business and ensure that you contact a regional manager about that guy.

BRChiver

Oct 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a couple of small town banks I deal with. If I had an account with that balance for that long of a time the bank would practically send the armored truck to my house with my orders! Smaller banks tend to value their customers ALOT more than the big boys. Whether you move the account or not, hope everything works out!
HH!
BRChiver

gravityrules

Feb 20, 2012
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Fisher F5, Fisher 1265-X, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see anyone that has suggested simply calling the manager's bluff and opening a personal account (only if its no cost to maintain). This takes their excuse away and you don't have to be out the effort of moving the business account. Should you have to do this? No. Does the bank's logic make sense? No, any 'cost' associated with providing rolls is the same, should not matter whether you're a business or personal account holder. But why go creating a scene when it may not be necessary? As mentioned in a previous post, enforcement of any 'policy' like this seems to be highly subjective and may be just this particular manager. I completely agree that paying the per roll charge is not acceptable.

OP
OP
maine_Jim

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Ok - a quick update on this little adventure. Short story I opened a free savings account with the branch and left the money in the business account. Too much work to switch over money, new checks, accounting hassles etc. It did get me to review the history of the account for the year and the average balance was actually about twice the amount I thought was parked there so I did some rearranging to keep the amount at this branch in a more secure position. From a financial sense the return on this amount is peanuts at a whopping .01% but we need the funds available so that is what you get nowadays.

As for the original issue I just let it drop and moved on. I get a bunch of boxes from other branches from this bank and decided against rocking the boat. One teller at another branch mentioned that Brinks just started charging a per box delivery fee to all branches with the new calendar year but since I had a personal account and not just a business account she would let it slide. I'm guessing the issue will pop up again and again if this is true so like all true CRH's I'll just "roll" with it!:laughing7:.

Maine_Jim

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck, Maine_Jim, I think you did the right thing. I said on this post before, "I would give the bank a chance and if things don't get better, bring your account elsewhere and turn them into a dump bank. (easier said than done, I know)", I would have done the same. From personal experiences, banks tend to actually charge business accounts for more transactions than normal personal accounts, why? I have no clue. I also have some banks where certain branches are very rude when it comes to even asking to order coins and other branches are like, "that's all you want? If you want more, let me know"... It all depends on the head teller(s) and manager. Best of luck to you and the hunt,
Buff

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim, I figure I'm one of the least confrontational CRHers in existence, and I'd absolutely pull the money.

You'd think he'd order a few boxes to keep a $200,000 account, but apparently not. I bet there is a bank in your area that will.

agreed, and I am also non confrontational. If that 200,000 is doing you no good in a bank that makes it impossible for you to CRH, take it somewhere else and use it as leverage. I would sit down with a bank manager at another bank, tell him the story, and say "so you want all this cash?" I bet you can leverage 4 boxes a week at least, probably 8

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread