All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Proofs are minted using polished dies and planchets with no imperfections. Each coin is struck at slow speeds with extra pressure to bring up sharp, high relief details. Proofs are distinguished by their brilliant mirror finish, sometimes with frosted highlights and high relief rims. Since 1968 they have either an S or W mintmark. Here are some pictures to show the difference. The first is a normal clad half and the second is a proof. Hope this helps. Happy hunting!

I just found this '68S half in a box I got today. It sure is one shinny bright white coin. I wish it was a '70S or a 90% silver proof but I'm not complaining. It's even shinier than the '76S silver Ike I found on Tues of this week. :)

Attachments

• unnamed 68S half.jpg
    unnamed 68S half.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20140116_234602-1.jpg
    IMG_20140116_234602-1.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
OP
OP
mjr08010

mjr08010

Jan 14, 2014
Miami, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found this '68S half in a box I got today. It sure is one shinny bright white coin. I wish it was a '70S or a 90% silver proof but I'm not complaining. It's even shinier than the '76S silver Ike I found on Tues of this week. :)

Sorry for all the newbie questions. Still trying to learn here. What is an "Ike"?

Hunter612

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• image-3267952785.jpg
    image-3267952785.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 852

Hunter612

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ike's are about the same size as peace dollars. Some of the Ike S mint proofs are 40% silver. Clad Ike's can also be sold for a little over face value sometimes. Happy hunting!

Attachments

• image-846084075.jpg
    image-846084075.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 845
Last edited:

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
Ikes are murder weapons, they have blood on them sometimes when I find them.
ever drop a half dolla roll on your small toe by accident? I lost a half gallon of blood by just doing that

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dang thats purty white- had to be a bit disappointing to see it was a 40%

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang thats purty white- had to be a bit disappointing to see it was a 40%

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Lol, well not too disappointed but it sure was surprising. And yes it sure is bright shinny white as u can really tell from the 2nd pic. Ive still never found a 90% silver proof yet and only a couple of 40% silver proof halves before I think. But this coin was a cool find for me and its kinda strange too because I was just reading the discussion about proofs on this thread yesterday with Hunter explaining to mjr what they look like and the S date proofs starting in '68 then late last night I find this.

It's been an unusually good week for me with silver proofs. I found a shinny '76S silver proof Ike on Tues and now this very shinny '68S half late last night. Btw, Im still only about a third of the way through this half box I got yesterday so maybe I might have more luck with silver proofs in the box. :)

OP
OP
mjr08010

mjr08010

Jan 14, 2014
Miami, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, well not too disappointed but it sure was surprising. And yes it sure is bright shinny white as u can really tell from the 2nd pic. Ive still never found a 90% silver proof yet and only a couple of 40% silver proof halves before I think. But this coin was a cool find for me and its kinda strange too because I was just reading the discussion about proofs on this thread yesterday with Hunter explaining to mjr what they look like and the S date proofs starting in '68 then late last night I find this.

It's been an unusually good week for me with silver proofs. I found a shinny '76S silver proof Ike on Tues and now this very shinny '68S half late last night. Btw, Im still only about a third of the way through this half box I got yesterday so maybe I might have more luck with silver proofs in the box. :)

Congrats, SilverFace!

Tomorrow marks my big day...first time searching through half dollars! Ordered a $500 box from the local bank. Let's hope I don't accidently overlook something special.... #BeginnerProblems

I'll be sure to start a log tomorrow if anyone would like to see what happens.

CoinHuntingDrew

Dec 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro & Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1987 P & D, 1982 NO FG or no F, or no G.
1982 P's in UNC, read in Numistmatic news to keep those for future investment possibly.
2002-present

OP
OP
mjr08010

mjr08010

Jan 14, 2014
Miami, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welp, no such beginners luck. Started a log in the other section for anyone to follow in the coming weeks. Places another order for four boxes next Saturday.

P.S. - Re-rolling them sucks! There aren't any coin counters in my area…and I refuse to use Coin Star and make this hobby a costly one.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hear u skunked out with your first box. Its too bad u don't have any coin counters in your area. You might want to make sure u have a good dumping strategy figured out if you're going to be increasing your volume and dumping your coins re-rolled. That would suck to have to re-roll all the coins. But hopefully u will find some keepers next week to help make the re-rolling more worth your time and trouble.

GL & H$H!

RocknRoll

Apr 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welp, no such beginners luck. Started a log in the other section for anyone to follow in the coming weeks. Places another order for four boxes next Saturday. P.S. - Re-rolling them sucks! There aren't any coin counters in my area...and I refuse to use Coin Star and make this hobby a costly one.

I use the no fee gift cards from coin star to cover items I need to buy anyhow.

OP
OP
mjr08010

mjr08010

Jan 14, 2014
Miami, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear u skunked out with your first box. Its too bad u don't have any coin counters in your area. You might want to make sure u have a good dumping strategy figured out if you're going to be increasing your volume and dumping your coins re-rolled. That would suck to have to re-roll all the coins. But hopefully u will find some keepers next week to help make the re-rolling more worth your time and trouble.

GL & H$H!

Re-rolling just one box took forever. I'm not looking forward to re-rolling four boxes! Lol. I have plans of dumping them at a BOA on the other side of town, already rolled up. I've been calling around other banks in the Miami area for coin counters, no such luck yet.

If anyone in Southern Florida knows of a place with a coin counter, please let me know!

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I would think a big metro area like Miami would have some banks with coin counters. If not u could always consider trying the coin lock bag method for dumping your coins if u can find a bank that would allow u to do it. That would sure be a lot easier than re-rolling...esp if your going to be increasing your volume. GL.

OP
OP
mjr08010

mjr08010

Jan 14, 2014
Miami, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think a big metro area like Miami would have some banks with coin counters. If not u could always consider trying the coin lock bag method for dumping your coins if u can find a bank that would allow u to do it. That would sure be a lot easier than re-rolling...esp if your going to be increasing your volume. GL.

Are you familiar with the "coin lock bag method"? This is the first time I've heard of it and it already sounds appealing.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Well that's how most of the big volume hunters here dump and they could explain it to u better than me. Its been discussed in some of the previous threads too if u can find them. I would just talk to one of the BOA banks u r considering dumping your re-rolled coins at because they would probably prefer u do that method too instead of bringing back large amounts of re rolled coins. The coin lock bags would be easier for everyone....u and the bank. GL.

OP
OP
mjr08010

mjr08010

Jan 14, 2014
Miami, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that's how most of the big volume hunters here dump and they could explain it to u better than me. Its been discussed in some of the previous threads too if u can find them. I would just talk to one of the BOA banks u r considering dumping your re-rolled coins at because they would probably prefer u do that method too instead of bringing back large amounts of re rolled coins. The coin lock bags would be easier for everyone....u and the bank. GL.

Thank you for the suggestion! I'll search for the prior threads on this subject matter as well as call my banks and see if they offer that method.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread