CRH Update

fishwhacker

Oct 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey guys. Hope your New Years is off to a good start. Haven't been hunting too hard but have been going through a decent amount the past few days. Picked up $500 in halves a few days ago, they came in a box but after opening it, it soon became apparent that they had already been opened and resealed. Nothing in that $500. Ended up picking up another $100 or so around town with no finds. About 3-4 days ago I did get a 1976- S silver half out of a teller tray, got another $100 from that bank and it was a dud. Must have gone to 5-6 banks over the past week. Pretty much a skunk streak on the halves but all the halves I've been getting are either small amounts or dumps from other CRH hobbyists. Today after waiting 10 minutes for a teller to get some halves out of the vault and counting them in front of me, I had to inform them sorry I changed my mind as I recognized the same tell tale signs of one of the more active CRHers dump. I am continually running into another guy, possible two guys dumps. One marks his with a Z and the other had dropped off $2000 at two different banks from courier boxes with yellow and white wrappers. I live in a relatively small city (Anchorage, Alaska) and it sucks that there is such a small field of banks to pick up/dump from. Wells fargo informed me today that they are no longer ordering half dollar boxes or any special orders for that matter due to these 1 or 2 guys buying so many and costing them so much money, another bank informed me they will soon be charging a substantial fee for taking rolled coins soon. I'm down to 3 or so banks that are CRH friendly and only have two dump banks, one of which is a credit union that is not equipped for large coin quantities. If the fellow Alaska CRH guys are reading this please be nice to your tellers and don't ruin it for the rest of us, cut back if needed to avoid no longer being able to do the hobby please.

I did do $400 in dimes today in two different $200 lots, the first $200 lot produced 1 rosie. The second lot was great and I plan to go pick up more from the same source tomorrow. In the $200 I found 3 rosies and my FIRST MERCURY DIME, a very nice VG 1943 example. Dimes seem to be steady still, I usually average 2-3 per $500, slightly less average but still can get 4-5 per $500 on a fairly regularly basis as well. Being so close to Canada, I've come across 2 or 3 silver Canadian dimes too. Dimes are time consuming but now knowing there are some merc's floating around all the way up here is encouraging to continue and you can't beat consistency.

Has anyone ever successfully ordered Eisenhower dollar boxes/bags? Would love to hunt through some but haven't found any possibility of doing such.

One other downer today, only two or three branches around town have coin counters, they charge substantial fees, but today I inquired to both about buying bags from them, and they told me they don't even have access to them and pay a private party to deal with them... what a shame.

That's my update, a bit of rambling but had a lot to go through, will keep more current updates in the future.

Upvote 0

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain on the halves. I have not found anything old (meaning silver) in my last 6 bags from you-know-where.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions