CRH Update

fishwhacker

Oct 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey guys. Hope your New Years is off to a good start. Haven't been hunting too hard but have been going through a decent amount the past few days. Picked up $500 in halves a few days ago, they came in a box but after opening it, it soon became apparent that they had already been opened and resealed. Nothing in that $500. Ended up picking up another $100 or so around town with no finds. About 3-4 days ago I did get a 1976- S silver half out of a teller tray, got another $100 from that bank and it was a dud. Must have gone to 5-6 banks over the past week. Pretty much a skunk streak on the halves but all the halves I've been getting are either small amounts or dumps from other CRH hobbyists. Today after waiting 10 minutes for a teller to get some halves out of the vault and counting them in front of me, I had to inform them sorry I changed my mind as I recognized the same tell tale signs of one of the more active CRHers dump. I am continually running into another guy, possible two guys dumps. One marks his with a Z and the other had dropped off $2000 at two different banks from courier boxes with yellow and white wrappers. I live in a relatively small city (Anchorage, Alaska) and it sucks that there is such a small field of banks to pick up/dump from. Wells fargo informed me today that they are no longer ordering half dollar boxes or any special orders for that matter due to these 1 or 2 guys buying so many and costing them so much money, another bank informed me they will soon be charging a substantial fee for taking rolled coins soon. I'm down to 3 or so banks that are CRH friendly and only have two dump banks, one of which is a credit union that is not equipped for large coin quantities. If the fellow Alaska CRH guys are reading this please be nice to your tellers and don't ruin it for the rest of us, cut back if needed to avoid no longer being able to do the hobby please.

I did do $400 in dimes today in two different $200 lots, the first $200 lot produced 1 rosie. The second lot was great and I plan to go pick up more from the same source tomorrow. In the $200 I found 3 rosies and my FIRST MERCURY DIME, a very nice VG 1943 example. Dimes seem to be steady still, I usually average 2-3 per $500, slightly less average but still can get 4-5 per $500 on a fairly regularly basis as well. Being so close to Canada, I've come across 2 or 3 silver Canadian dimes too. Dimes are time consuming but now knowing there are some merc's floating around all the way up here is encouraging to continue and you can't beat consistency.

Has anyone ever successfully ordered Eisenhower dollar boxes/bags? Would love to hunt through some but haven't found any possibility of doing such.

One other downer today, only two or three branches around town have coin counters, they charge substantial fees, but today I inquired to both about buying bags from them, and they told me they don't even have access to them and pay a private party to deal with them... what a shame.

That's my update, a bit of rambling but had a lot to go through, will keep more current updates in the future.

Upvote 0

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont ask for halves and then say oh never mind when you see they are clad- take them- dont get yourself or others cut off

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

OP
OP
F

fishwhacker

Oct 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to disagree with you on this one. Taking a few minutes to politely decline opposed to taking the obviously searched halves, spending a couple hours going through and rerolling them, and then taking them another bank and dealing with another teller for 15-20 minutes is the more reasonable thing to do for all parties involved. You can sort other peoples dumps all you want to feel nice to the first teller and waste your time to find nothing and realize more often than not a few rolls are short, I'll no longer be doing that.

OP
OP
F

fishwhacker

Oct 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Also did $500 in dimes from a different branch of the same bank with the merc today. Could tell it was a different batch, a lot of Canadians mixed in. Ended up with 1 1944 silver Canadian dime. Will dump them tomorrow and go back to the first branch to try to get more of the merc batch. Good hunting!

OP
OP
F

fishwhacker

Oct 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Here are the recent finds including the dimes from the past two days, shots of the merc, the 1976-S, the first proof half I've found, and a very cool half that someone added a slot machine paint over to that has since started to wear through with Mr. Kennedy peaking through.

dimes1.18.14.jpg halves1.18.14.jpg halves2.1.18.14.jpg merc1.jpg merc2.jpg

OP
OP
F

fishwhacker

Oct 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Just did another batch of CRH.

Did $350 in halves, $400 in quarters, and $50 in dimes.

While at one bank branch a teller had 3 half dollars in her tray, I looked at them and plucked out a nice 1969 kennedy. Only silver for the day.

The dimes did produce 4 rolls of BU 2011-D examples, that appear to go for around $10 a roll on ebay. Quarters produced 1 BU roll of Alaska quarters, probably a $12.50-$15 roll.

OP
OP
F

fishwhacker

Oct 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Did $250 this early afternoon which produced one mid 1950s rosie. Just got done doing a $500 bag and it produced 7 rosies- 4x 1964, 1957, 1952, 1960. Plan is to get another $500 tomorrow.

Attaching photos of the most recent 7 rosies and my total for about a months worth of casual hunting finds.

Also attaching photos of my results from $250 in quarters. One is a 2008 Olympics coin, the other has very strange markings. Could this be mint damage? I am almost certain it is post mint but it strikes me as odd the letters are pushed down into the crevices of the indentions.
1.21dimes.jpg dimestodate1.21.jpg olympicsquarter.jpg olympicsquarter2.jpg oddquarter.jpg oddquarter2.jpg

OP
OP
F

fishwhacker

Oct 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Did another $500 in dimes today. Results not so great- one 1953 rosie.

Also pulled out 10 various toned clad dimes. Anyone else get these toned dimes? First time I've really noticed them, very rainbow colored, some more than others.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Did another $500 in dimes today. Results not so great- one 1953 rosie.

Also pulled out 10 various toned clad dimes. Anyone else get these toned dimes? First time I've really noticed them, very rainbow colored, some more than others.

I pull out toned coins, sign em, and throw em back.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
bah humbug

You don't have to agree/ like/ support what I do, but I'm not gonna stop, or try to sway you one way or another. We all have our own view and feelings about the subject, and lets just leave it at that.

OP
OP
F

fishwhacker

Oct 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I did leave it at that, I deleted my original message and left bah humbug as a joke of sorts. Good luck hunting.

nube250

Aug 5, 2011
IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a box full of repacked halves this week too.. I can't believe people turn them back in like that. Aside from wasting their time to repack it ruins another crhers day/week.. I took it on the chin opened em all and will dump them in a machine tomorrow.

OP
OP
F

fishwhacker

Oct 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Just did two $250 boxes from the same location. First box was pretty decent, 2x-1955, 1x- 1964. Second box was a big ol' skunk.

OP
OP
F

fishwhacker

Oct 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Did $340 in CWR dimes today, yielded a 1946, 1961, and 1964. Also did $26 in CWR Nickels. First time doing nickels so not sure exactly what to look for but the earliest date I found was 1941. No silver nickels, no buffs, no V nickels today. Also pulled out two 1948. No idea if they are uncommon.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
What Jefferson nickels to keep and which to dump is up to you.

Besides war nickels, everyone would agree to keep the very low mintage (less than 7 million)
1950D, 1938 DS, 1939 DS, and high grade examples

Some would add mintages 7-10 million (1949S, 1950, 1951S, 1955), others higher to 20 million (1938, 1942D, 19446S, 1948S..).

Some keep all 1955 and older, other all pre1960.

OP
OP
F

fishwhacker

Oct 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Did $500 in CWR dimes today. Plucked out a 1955 and one 1964.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread