Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm Calling Out the Old Timers/Verterans In This Thread

It seems like these two groups of people CLAIM they only hunt for the hobby, not the monetary gain. I'm calling them out on this. Why don't you guys do strictly catch and release then? If you get enjoyment out of finding coins wouldn't you want the chance to find coins more than once? I think there should be a petition for all people who "do it for the hobby' to release their silver in the wild. Who's with me??
eminem-chrysler-detroit-450x254.jpg

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got you all! I gave most of what I've found this weekend to my daughter with no restrictions whatsoever!

bayhawk2

Jan 14, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400-Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I think we all do it for the hope of a big find,however realistically I do it for the hobbie..I make a good living at my day job and would certainly never quit to go all pro into metal detecting..It's a lot of hard work and personally I wouldn't want to starve to death..:.)..Do I keep my good finds?You betcha.

Last edited:

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do it for the hobby and if I happen to have minor monetary gain along the way...great.

By the time I add all of my time and expenses if I was in it purely for monetary gain, I wouldn't have much to show for it.

Now, I hunt all denominations and not just half dollars.

I usually end up driving a little less than extra 20 miles a week to pick up and dump 0 or more bags of pennies, nickels, and dimes. Sometimes I get 1 bag total. Sometimes I end up with 5 or more. Typically, I average around 1.5 bags of pennies, 1 bag of nickels, and 0.75 bags of dimes per week.

My car gets about 23 mpg. Let's just say I burn 3 gallons of gas in a month to search 6 bags of pennies, 4 bags of nickels, and 3 bags of dimes.

in 2013, I had a few good hits, so my averages are considerably higher than my typical averages have been, but in 2013 I averaged about the following:

44 wheaties/bag
0.4 buffalo nickels/bag
22 pre-1960 Jefferson Nickels/bag
0.85 war nickels/bag
4.6 silver dimes/bag

So in a typical 4 weeks period (rounding up the fractions):
264 wheats (at $0.05/each that's $10.56 above face)
2 buffalo nickels (at $1/each, that's $1.90 above face)
88 pre-1960 Jefferson nickels (at $0.10/each that's $4.40 above face) <--- just a guess at the value, may be high
4 war nickels (at $1.14/each, that's $4.36 above face)
14 silver dimes (at $1.47/each, that's $19.18 above face)

silver values from todays rate at coinflation.com

Total value above face $40.40
Subtract the cost of 3 gallons of gas at $3.30/gal (probably actually more) ($9.90 in gas)
what is left $30.50

Now let's take time into account: 30 minutes (pick up and dump per week...conservatively low)...total 2 hours for 4 weeks
search time roughly 30 minutes/bag (again probably low)...total 6.5 hours for 4 weeks

so 8.5 hours to gain $30.50....an hourly wage of $3.59

And that's using my substantially higher than typical find rates from 2013. Numbers from most recent years would subtract 6 silver dimes and half the wheats for every 4 weeks (which would subtract $13.50 from my above face value). My hourly rate for those years....$2/hour.

And even that rate ignores all other expenses if truly treated as a business. It also assumes a value for wheats, buffalos, and pre-1960 Jefferson nickels that was intentionally on the high side and may not be realistic.

So yes, I like the slight monetary gain from my hobby, but if I was in it "purely for the money" and not as a hobby, I could find numerous other ways to spend my time that would be much more profitable.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
its never a shame to admit to drug overdose there are people you can see for that homie

talking about OD'n. The AG, it gets me. dawg, I used to say, I hunt 4 the money, I hunt 4 the hobby. when I became really addicted to CRH'n I'd call it a hobby. Dawg, there have been points where I lost money coin roll hunting. it was illogical to continue. but the learned positive reinforcement of AG was just to great to quit. For god's sake, I was making colloidal silver. Then I'd drink it. I even bought an e-cig, I vaped colloidal silver. I stopped ingesting silver, because, even worse, I just stare at my silver stack now. The eyes & ears, are the quickest way the silver experiance get's too the brain--- almost instantaous. I jingle the silver, look at it, weight it.

Do you know why FDR made gold illegal during the depression? It was because people used to CRH for gold coins back in the silver days. Then they would cut two wires, and plug um in to a wall out let, and make dirty collodial gold. dawg, people in the 1930s, were injecting colloidal gold.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A better explanation of "for the hobby" appears to be necessary. The "hobby" is collecting, releasing isn't part of the equation, and any monetary gain is incidental.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt for two-fold. Gain and fun. As the "old timers" know that frequent this site, CRH paid for my daughter's wedding. That was a few years back when silver was a tad more abundant. It was a hobby I ran into to relax from a very stressful job. Corona, steak, pool, and boxes of coins to go thru--so sweet!!!

Nice, however, that I could make a few $$$ having fun--but there is work, too. Loads of dumping is a pain in the rear as everyone knows. The disappointment when the orders don't come in. I also buy storage lockers--half the fun is seeing "what is in there" just like CRH--but alas, most of the time those are "skunks" as well. Not sure I qualify being called out as an "old timer," but if I fit the bill, so be it.
Happy Hunting and no worries here. As Mr. Apush says, and dang this man is brilliant, "If they don't pay your bills, don't give a damn about them."

Hello to all my "old timer" friends--hehehehe

apush--sorry, I lost my Southern ladyship on this one. :)

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you know why FDR made gold illegal during the depression? It was because people used to CRH for gold coins back in the silver days. Then they would cut two wires, and plug um in to a wall out let, and make dirty collodial gold. dawg, people in the 1930s, were injecting colloidal gold.

It's a different reason, but I fear I will get too political if I begin explaining.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
What's the issue with it being far too political?

Because politics can get you banned on this site.

"You may not.... Start a thread to specifically promote or discuss politics or religion or respond in a political or religious fashion to a post if it's not somehow tied to treasure hunting."

I guess I could respond since it deals with gold, but I will stay on the safe side.

Last edited:

bayhawk2

Jan 14, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400-Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Quote Originally Posted by danya View Post

Politics and religion..hmm..Been there done that..Without getting off subject,FDR called for all Americans to cash in there gold and gold certificates at a price of some $20+ dollars an ounce.To strengthen the American economy.This actually hurt (in my opinion)us finding more everyday gold coinage.People could no longer own gold thus there was none to lose..That doesn't mean however that EVERYONE turned in their gold...I bet some buried it.Hid it in little places...Waiting for hmm..someone to come along..

OP
OP
Eminem

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
Quote Originally Posted by danya View Post What's the issue with it being far too political? Politics and religion..hmm..Been there done that..Without getting off subject,FDR called for all Americans to cash in there gold and gold certificates at a price of some $20+ dollars an ounce.To strengthen the American economy.This actually hurt (in my opinion)us finding more everyday gold coinage.People could no longer own gold thus there was none to lose..That doesn't mean however that EVERYONE turned in their gold...I bet some buried it.Hid it in little places...Waiting for hmm..someone to come along..
they were waiting for me to invade the forum homie. I got a mind of my own, sometimes I can't find it at home, it hides in the stove.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Quote Originally Posted by danya View Post

Politics and religion..hmm..Been there done that..Without getting off subject,FDR called for all Americans to cash in there gold and gold certificates at a price of some $20+ dollars an ounce.To strengthen the American economy.This actually hurt (in my opinion)us finding more everyday gold coinage.People could no longer own gold thus there was none to lose..That doesn't mean however that EVERYONE turned in their gold...I bet some buried it.Hid it in little places...Waiting for hmm..someone to come along..

Go back up, this is just a bunch of prop-ah-gand-ah, cause, gold is most addictive drug on the street. I traded all my gold for Ag along time ago, and have'nt looked back since. Silver is better than gold, if you get addicted to gold, you cant even afford internet yo.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread