What do you guys do with all the keepers you find thru CRH?

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the past, I have sold them......3 sales since 2010 totaling about $6k......but my current stash (~25 oz) is headed for my safety deposit box for my retirement in 2032.

I urge you to google around and see what happens to a country when its economy dies. Personally my "stash" would not be hidden in a bank at all, they are known to lock their doors down in a collapse and whatever is in there is lost to you. Ever wonder why your grandparents and before didn't trust banks?

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell it almost the day I get it, but... Lately with the falling market price, I'm trying to horde them for the next big dollar crash...

Keep @ it and HH !!

wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
old used white's surfmaster PI, Dual Field, DFX, Minelab GM 1000 and Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep them....

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Stacking and stacking :)
As for now, that is my retirement fund. Already basically "buying" at idk like 10% of value, looking forward to what spot price might be at in 40 years.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never sold them, but did give a batch to my daughter this weekend. when the dollar collapses, don't worry, there will be hordes of people to come huff, and puff and blow down your door. Unfortunately.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the past couple months you've acquired more than 400?? How many boxes do you go through in a week?

Yes. I used to go through 20+ boxes a week. Since September I've been pretty much locked into a set 16 boxes per week unless I have extra free time. When I have an extra day off or something I'll order 20 or so boxes. Some weeks are really good and some weeks are pretty bad, but as long as I keep ordering the silver keeps stacking up.

fishwhacker

Oct 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I plan on selling the silver I stack aside from the special pieces I save, in combination with using racked up ebay bucks, to purchase a complete collection of America the beautiful NGC or PCGS PR70 ultra cameo silver quarters. Eventually would like to get a full set of PR70 state quarters too, but I waited too long on those and some are already worth hundreds of dollars. Plan on holding onto the complete sets for 10-20-30 years and selling them for a huge chunk of change if all goes well.

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
I keep all the money and throw the rest back to the bank.
Why sell it just to get more fiat?

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For all the "we are going to be bartering silver/gold for basic food items" people, I have a question for you: Since the bulk of quantitative easing, deficit spending (stimulus), and slashing of interest rates is rapidly being tapered, what makes you think that the U.S. dollar is going to collapse? Did you notice that over the period that all of these dollar-weakening activities actually resulted in a stronger U.S. dollar relative to the Euro while they were taking place? I will be the first to agree that the U.S. economy and debt load is in a pretty bad situation.
The thing that I think a lot of you are missing is that we are a part of a world economy. The fact remains that even though the economic picture in the U.S. looked pretty poor during the recession, the U.S. financial situation is still stronger compared to the financial situation of almost any other economy in the world. It's all relative. Which economy do you see as being better positioned than that of the U.S.? Clearly, it isn't in Europe. Asia isn't looking so hot either. The rest of North America? South America? I'm just not seeing it. Most others aren't seeing it either and that is why you see the price of gold and silver pulling back. The truth is that if the U.S. dollar collapses that means that the rest of the world's currencies are going to collapse at the same time and that is an impossibility relative to everything that is known about basic economic principles. If all the world economies did collapse, you would have bigger problems to worry about than having enough silver to buy eggs and milk. I know the fear-mongering is good for commodity prices, but you guys just aren't living in reality.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The truth is that if the U.S. dollar collapses that means that the rest of the world's currencies are going to collapse at the same time and that is an impossibility relative to everything that is known about basic economic principles.

Fish On,
I don't pretend to know the future of the US or world economy but I do share some of the same concerns as my fellow metal hoarders. I think I have a basic understanding of economic principles but I'm open to additional education. Can you provide more details on the basic economic principles that support your conclusion?
OO

lespaul337

Jan 17, 2014
Lake Charles
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Waterproof Pro Pointer, MineLab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I could not agree with you more Fish on! it amazes me that people think if our economy completely collapses their horde of silver or guns is going to make them the Alphas... Ill just keep selling it for ridiculous prices to these people and taking the money they claim is no good and paying for my wonderful life!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Save & keep as a long term investment to help in my retirement supplement to social security check in case I need $ in the future. On soc sec now, it's just a matter of time. Plus it's a passing time hobby for me.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not done this yet as I don't have enough silver to do so... I plan to sell my 40% silver halves and buy some gold coins. I don't have much silver but enough to own a small chunk of gold in my hands. Hopefully by this time next year i'll be holding a 1-oz gold coin in my hand, maybe a proof gold buffalo as i love the design.

As to obselete designs, i keep them. I won't sell my franklin halves, walker halves, mercury dimes, etc.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't a basic thing for people to do is diversify their portfolio? Why is saving silver/gold a bad idea? Silver/gold have always had value, where as a specific countries currency hasn't. America will one day have a dead economy... it just will. Every controlling economic country that has ever existed has fallen from the throne at one time or another, it isn't a stretch to think America one day will meet the same fate. I lot of my friends from the military live scattered around the world now, and even they say the countries they live in won't hardly touch American dollars at the moment. If our dollar is so strong compared to any other country, why is the conversion rate stacked against the American dollar in so many other countries?

If Americans economy did die, it wouldn't be the end of the world as some would say, just a little restructuring like in the past when any other major power falls.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fish On,
I don't pretend to know the future of the US or world economy but I do share some of the same concerns as my fellow metal hoarders. I think I have a basic understanding of economic principles but I'm open to additional education. Can you provide more details on the basic economic principles that support your conclusion?
OO

I'm basing my conclusion on the idea that money is only worth something because people have faith in it being worth something. People can lose faith in the U.S. dollar but they are unlikely to completely lose faith in the currencies of ALL countries. So currency fluctuates in value in relation to exchange rates with other currencies. The economic crisis that started in 2008 brought to light that the U.S. economy is fragile and the debt load is unfavorable. It also brought to light that almost every other developed economy in the world has the same issues and to a much worse extent than the U.S. The economic crisis actually led to the Dollar increasing in value vs. the Euro. China manipulates the value of their currency to a ridiculous degree. My main conclusion is that the U.S. is not infallible or perfect, but it is in a much better economic position than most other countries, so for the U.S. dollar to collapse would require most other currencies to collapse at the same time which seems pretty far-fetched.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread