trouble ordering

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1 are you talking directly to the ordering/vault teller? If so and she/he isnt ordering them when they say they say they will then id ask why and then go to branch mngr
2 are you a customer at these banks? If not become one so you have more clout
3 if all else fails find new ones thatll order for ya and use these old ones as dumping grounds

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

OP
OP
J

johnomerta

Sep 29, 2013
North Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes
Yes
And understood. Today is a pick up day and I was supposed to have at least 4 boxes come in and I have none. Another bank that I get my dimes from was supposed to order me some before Christmas and when I talk to the guy that does the ordering....well, I don't anymore he just avoids my call. So I just go through the drive through and ask them when I get them. How hard is it to order some damn dimes? The other branches in town said i cant pick up boxes unless I order with him.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would spend the extra few minutes to go inside instead of the drive thru or calling. Walking in to the branch to be sociable would probably be better received than a drive by.. gimme my coins.. bye type move. Some banks order the coins if they have room in their weekly coin orders to do so, as they can usually only order so much per week as stated in their contracts with coin providers. And businesses will have priority over somebody just randomly wanting coins, lower volume branches sometimes are easier to deal with since they don't seem to push their limits as much.

OP
OP
J

johnomerta

Sep 29, 2013
North Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I aways go I and when they tell me no I go to the window. The drive though is like a block away and they aways see ti have them. I guess they don't communicate with the inside and I haven't been black balled by them yet.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could understand ordering Halves...But Dimes? How many boxes are you getting in dimes? I know when I get coin. I usally use several banks, some I dont even have accounts for. I tell them i need a box for various reasons....My dads store needs change....Charities...Etc....Most the time I blame it on the kids and there damn coin obsession..lol

OP
OP
J

johnomerta

Sep 29, 2013
North Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
You can look at my coin log and see I don't do crazy numbers. They just think I'm nuts for asking for a box and LAWD help us all if I ask for two. I need to open up more accounts and only go in a bank once every couple weeks. I could almost do that now if the banks would order the coins when they say they would.

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
For me, its all about building those relationships with the banks. I try and get to know tellers names and who orders (without being overly zealous or creapy obviously). They miss orders sometimes. They do them manually and it happens, and theyre very appologetic when they do.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can look at my coin log and see I don't do crazy numbers. They just think I'm nuts for asking for a box and LAWD help us all if I ask for two. I need to open up more accounts and only go in a bank once every couple weeks. I could almost do that now if the banks would order the coins when they say they would.

Where are you in North Texas? You shouldnt have any problem going in and asking for a box of dimes. I used to have mulitple acounts, and I stopped it once Wells pulled the coin machines out...Now my account is with BoA and they always willing to give me whatever i want....and right accross the street is a Chase, So i hit them up too

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey John,

One thing that has worked in the past that i have done was, Go into your bank (One that you havent gotten coin from before) And tell the person you want to Order half dollars for a Fundraiser. I did that once and it worked prefectly...she even called me the moment they got them. I told her that i was dummping them in a jar jar and making people guess how much was in it...I know it wasnt 100% truth....or even 10% truth....But who is it hurting?...Sometime you gotta stay ahead of the game

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lies are usually one time deals and it's always easier to remember the truth in my opinion.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with accordselux. Lying just sounds weird. No matter what story you come up with for needing a large volume of one denomination of coin more than once (especially if it is an obsolete denomination like halves) sounds like a lie. You'll be much better off acting normal with tellers and telling them the truth. Some banks don't want to order, just find others. The first time I ever ordered a box of halves I made up a story and to this day I refuse to go into that bank to order again, because the story just sounds too ridiculous to stick to. For the record I've ordered/picked up boxes of various denominations from well over 50 different individual branches and have at least 20 that will regularly order halves for me if I ask. It's all about building relationships and no relationship works if it is built on lies.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
1 are you talking directly to the ordering/vault teller? If so and she/he isnt ordering them when they say they say they will then id ask why and then go to branch mngr
2 are you a customer at these banks? If not become one so you have more clout
3 if all else fails find new ones thatll order for ya and use these old ones as dumping grounds

says the guy, ("Iamrussell) who hits banks. The only thing you do to get boxes russelll, is force the tellas at gunpoint. I have photographic evidence of it, and your admittance to hitting banks in your thread about the weird loomis van which I will link shortly.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with accordselux and fish on!, honesty is the way to go. You don't necessarily have to give up that you're looking for silver. I don't tell the tellers why I am ordering. if they ask if I am looking for silver, I can't lie, I say yes, as well as other kinds of coins. Chances are that if they know you're looking for silver, they're not dumb. lying basically gets you "one step forward and two steps back.".

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Could be they are just plain sick and tired of roll hunters in general...boxes ordered and never picked-up...parking lot searchers that return within the hour asking to dump their $500 box of halves...whiners complaining that one roll out of the box was short 2 coins and they want reimbursed...the list goes on and on...much rudeness and crudeness on the roll hunters part, and some banks have had their fill. BTW, I'm not accusing anyone on here. My wife is a vault teller and I hear the stories from time to time, from other tellers/managers as well.

yf30

Dec 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find that you don't have to mention silver. If they ask why you need halves I just say "I'm a collector.." and they say "oh I see"

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with accordselux and fish on!, honesty is the way to go. You don't necessarily have to give up that you're looking for silver. I don't tell the tellers why I am ordering. if they ask if I am looking for silver, I can't lie, I say yes, as well as other kinds of coins. Chances are that if they know you're looking for silver, they're not dumb. lying basically gets you "one step forward and two steps back.".

Yah if they ask me about silver, I just play it off, " yeah silver is nice, but its real rare to find, I mainly look for errors and proofs."

OP
OP
J

johnomerta

Sep 29, 2013
North Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I find that you don't have to mention silver. If they ask why you need halves I just say "I'm a collector.." and they say "oh I see"

Yah if they ask me about silver, I just play it off, " yeah silver is nice, but its real rare to find, I mainly look for errors and proofs."

That's what I tell them too. I tell them I'm putting sets together and when a teller thinks she is smart and asks about silver I teller her I might find ONE every few thousand. Then I throw out some key date and "coin speak" and they MOST OF THE TIME are cool about it. I'll tell them my great white whale is a 1970d and silver is the last thing they think.....All that is until lately when they are acting funny now. I'm very nice and friendly. Hell, I don't know. I'm going to just expand and see them less.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
says the guy, ("Iamrussell) who hits banks. The only thing you do to get boxes russelll, is force the tellas at gunpoint. I have photographic evidence of it, and your admittance to hitting banks in your thread about the weird loomis van which I will link shortly.

Hey 50 shhhhh gotta keep some of my techniques on the low

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually just tell them I am a collector and leave it at that. If the teller mentions silver first, then I'll talk about it. Every time a teller has brought up silver first it has always turned out that they are a collector too. This actually usually leads to a better relationship with that teller. The way I look at it is if they bring up silver and I try to act like that isn't what I am doing they are going to know that I am lying. Most of my dump banks have tellers that hunt for silver which works out pretty well. We exchange stories about the hunt and that turns the usually unpleasant exchange of dumping into a good friendly conversation.
I always emphasize that what I do is not really profitable, in that if I didn't enjoy the process of the hunt it would be much more cost efficient to just buy silver coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread