dime rim checking

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found dirty rim silver dimes before but the bulk of them are white rims. When I used to hunt dimes I used to open a roll and look for the contrast between brown and silver on the rim. Even on dirty rim clad dimes you can usually see the distinct line that signifies a clad. Anything that I couldn't see the line on got date checked.

OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I'm doing. But trying to skip the date check. Looks as if that's not an option bunmer

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Date check until you get real good then just date check the dirty rims- for me dimes are way too small to date check all of them-

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

OP
OP
Thorne

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the difference and check only the dirty ones. Wanted to know if there was a way around date chucking the dirties. That would save a bit of time and my eyes

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the difference and check only the dirty ones. Wanted to know if there was a way around date chucking the dirties. That would save a bit of time and my eyes

Only way around it if youre not sure (ie a dirty rim) is to just toss them and not worry about it-

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sound check or coil check (CMI comparator or metal detector).

Sound check:
Find an appropriate surface that causes a consistent "ring" when you drop it. You can hear the difference between silver and clad.

Coil Check:
Copper Penny and Silver Coin Sorter w Power Supply Mounting Brackets s Hfree | eBay

- OR -

(for pennies, but also works for dimes)

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't know how many silver dimes I have missed edge checking but recovered with a quick "jiggle" in my hands by sound checking. Let me just say it's more than I can count on two hands.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, please keep in mind that being able to detect a silver dime by ear is a hard skill to acquire, I can't really explain how I do it but I just do, I wish I could help you out further though.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem. my setup consists of my desk, chair, a good light, a trash can for coin wrappers only, a beach pail and a canvas bag. Once i open and edge check the roll, i toss the wrapper in the trash, swish the dimes in my hand for a quick sound check, the slowly put the dimes into the bucket to be bagged up. Occasionally i'll hear a higher pitch which generally resembles a missed silver; however, sometimes its just a funky planchet that sounds different from the others for some reason, we all get those from time to time, especially with halves.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
After searching hundreds of thousands in dimes over the years, I can say maybe two out of 50 silvers has a dirty rim. Some hunters scan for the "copper line" only, with white-edge silver being the oddball.

If in doubt, the "tissue test" works.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, please keep in mind that being able to detect a silver dime by ear is a hard skill to acquire, I can't really explain how I do it but I just do, I wish I could help you out further though.

Ya dimes are hard to hear - I cant quite do it in a $5 handful- if theres just a few maybe a $1-2 I can if its quiet and im really listening- nothing like halves-

jr98119

Sep 21, 2011
The Paris of Appalachia
Detector(s) used
bare hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After searching hundreds of thousands in dimes over the years, I can say maybe two out of 50 silvers has a dirty rim. Some hunters scan for the "copper line" only, with white-edge silver being the oddball.

If in doubt, the "tissue test" works.
What's the tissue test?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sound check or coil check (CMI comparator or metal detector).

Sound check:
Find an appropriate surface that causes a consistent "ring" when you drop it. You can hear the difference between silver and clad.

Coil Check:
Copper Penny and Silver Coin Sorter w Power Supply Mounting Brackets s Hfree | eBay

- OR -

(for pennies, but also works for dimes)

Wow...I guess people will buy anything....that looks like the biggest waste of time IMO..Seems like it would take a whole night to go thru a box

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...I guess people will buy anything....that looks like the biggest waste of time IMO..Seems like it would take a whole night to go thru a box

Lol and I read the discription of it and here is what he posted " There is still a lot of silver halves in circulation.All you need to do is pick up some rolls from your bank and sort them with this unit. The unit is capable of sorting 50+ rolls per hour. I can sort a roll of pennies in 25-30 seconds. I have been finding 15 to 20 silver coins per box (50 Rolls)."

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I come across a silver that is questionable because its dirty... A quick rub with my finger or some cloth on the edge. The silver cleans up easy and you should be able to see the cleaner edge. Otherwise I just check the date.

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol and I read the discription of it and here is what he posted " There is still a lot of silver halves in circulation.All you need to do is pick up some rolls from your bank and sort them with this unit. The unit is capable of sorting 50+ rolls per hour. I can sort a roll of pennies in 25-30 seconds. I have been finding 15 to 20 silver coins per box (50 Rolls)."

Well Damn...that means i have been throwing away 15-20 Silver from the last 5 Boxes I bought...Wish I would have seen this sooner..lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread