Vocabulary Lesson

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey hunters:

Language is an interesting study. Many words have multiple meanings and prejudices can cause misunderstandings if the wrong meaning is assumed.

Here are some terms you might encounter when hunting or perusing the forum. Some have multiple meanings and the context you find them in should resolve any ambiguity.

Coin - most often this term refers to the actual physical metal disc embossed (or, rarely, impressed) with imagery and denomination. "There was a coin in the fountain."
Alternate meaning: Sometimes, the term is used to describe the act of creating the former. "It is the duty of the mint to coin legal money."

Oblige - can mean to extend a favor under no particular threat of consequence. "The vault teller will sometimes oblige a request for a double order of halves."
Alternate meaning: To be required by law or rule. "Terms for carrying FDIC insurance obliges banks to hold a certain maximum asset to liability ratio."

Kowtowing - can mean the act of bowing so deeply as to touch your head, face, or chin to the ground - in demonstration of absolute servitude. "All of the emperor's subjects were kowtowing in unison."
Alternate meaning: to show compliant deference. "After a flagrant breach of the rules, kowtowing demonstrated a credible acknowledgment of the transgression."

Of course, there are many other examples of common terms with sometimes uncommon meanings. These are just some for today. Don't always assume the true meaning, take them in context.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/e...ahead-then-improve-your-vocabulary-today.html
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...r-wields-vocabulary-words-prison-letters.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kow·tow

ˈkouˈtou/

verb

gerund or present participle: kowtowing

act in an excessively subservient manner.

"she didn't have to kowtow to a boss"

synonyms:grovel to, be obsequious to, be servile to, be sycophantic to, fawn over/on,cringe to, bow and scrape to, toady to,truckle to, abase oneself before,humble oneself to;
curry favor with, dance attendance on, ingratiate oneself with, suck up to, kiss up to,brown-nose, lick someone's boots

"she didn't have to kowtow to a boss"

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Last edited:

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
But for real though, when did these terms become CRH'n lingo? I have no problem with using them infact i will henceforth start using them commonly on T-net because I liken to liking them. Loose change you is a trend-setter.

OP
OP
L

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But for real though, when did these terms become CRH'n lingo? I have no problem with using them infact i will henceforth start using them commonly on T-net because I liken to liking them. Loose change you is a trend-setter.

A pacifistic alternative to roll chunk'in. ie: A bit of kowtowing will get the tella to oblige you with some coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread