Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(Repost from another forum.)

Hi Everyone,

I have been talking with my banker. I inquired about buying coins and it was suggested for me to get regular rolled coins and sort through them looking for anything of value.

Has anyone tried this and is it worth the effort?

Statistically speaking, if I used $1,000 and got 4,000 quarters, 2,000 half dollars, 10,000 dimes, or 20,000 nickles, would there be anything in there? I can always return the coins (rerolled) and get the initial money back.

Any thoughts on this exercise?

Patrick

Upvote 0

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Hit and miss, Odds are you'll get nothing, but there is silver out there

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't enjoy "the hunt", coin roll hunting likely isn't for you. Based upon my few years of experience of both hunting and reading this forum, by searching $1000 you likely won't find enough silver to pay for the gasoline burned retrieving and dumping the coins. You'd likely be better off money-wise by just ordering silver and having it shipped to your door.

In my area I would expect $1000 to produce: 1 40% half, 0 quarters, 1 silver dime, or 5 war nickels.

Of course, your area might produce better. People win money playing the lottery every day. Most do not. Good luck.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with Arkie- honestly if youre in it to make $$$ youre wasting your time and gas- if you are looking for a fun hobby where you can find some interesting(no monetary value) coins and the occasional silver or rarer coin then crh is where its at- ive been huntin for over a yr now and just barely had my 1st ok box of halves last night- before last night I was avg less than 1 40% per 4-5 boxes in the last 4 months

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread