Two Dreams, One Day, and Victory over the Pennies!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always wanted to find two kinds of pennies. Error pennies and more error pennies. I found an off center Lincoln maybe 15 years ago and have looked thru change since then, but never found any more errors until 1995 and found THIRTY of the 1995 double dies. Well, I started looking more seriously this past fall and have gone through uncounted thousands of pennies in the last few months.

I found several Wide AM 1998, 1999, and 2000 cents. Found a broadstrike. Found a zincoln with no copper coating. Found several pennies with cuds.

Today I added two "dream" cents to the "done list. The first I found, and the second I bought, because snowballs have a better chance in perdition than me finding my second dream in the wild.

I found my FIRST double clipped Lincoln. A 1969 with a clip at 1 o'clock and a larger one at 4 O'clock. And I "accidentally" bought a beautiful 1955 double die, very fine slabbed. Now I can rest....until I get to this next penny roll sitting next to me.:hello:

Upvote 0

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not big on pennies, but I'm gonna have to add a '55 double die to my collection sooner rather than later!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first priced a 1955 double I THINK it was in the $200-300 range. That was before man set foot on the moon or the invention of the microwave, however. The other 20 rolls I went thru this evening weren't worth the time. Several wheats and a few Canadians. Still looking for the 1983 and 1984 double dies and the 2009 with the extra finger.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a little help with terminology. They aren't double dies, they're "doubled dies". Also they aren't errors, they're varieties.
HH
enamel7

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a little help with terminology. They aren't double dies, they're "doubled dies". Also they aren't errors, they're varieties.
HH
enamel7

The Off-center, Broadstrike, CUD, Clipped Planchet, and Missing Clad specimens that OP mentioned are considered errors. Others mentioned are varieties.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
When I first priced a 1955 double I THINK it was in the $200-300 range. That was before man set foot on the moon or the invention of the microwave, however. The other 20 rolls I went thru this evening weren't worth the time. Several wheats and a few Canadians. Still looking for the 1983 and 1984 double dies and the 2009 with the extra finger.

You mention the 2009 extra finger. I've been saving all my 2009 coins, so exactly what coin of the four varieties has the extra finger, (plus P or D). Would like to know so I can go back and look. Appreciate your reply, tks.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just saw them on Ebay, and the redbook for 2014 does state the 2009's have minor doubling. Got the book over the weekend. The one with the extra finger is the "formative years" type.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You mention the 2009 extra finger. I've been saving all my 2009 coins, so exactly what coin of the four varieties has the extra finger, (plus P or D). Would like to know so I can go back and look. Appreciate your reply, tks.

It's the coin where he's sitting on the log reading a book. I think the doubling is in the thumb.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
HH
enamel7

+ 1 but, most people round the CRN'n section call them double dies mistakenly, and you the first person I actually seen beside sag, call them the right thing,----------so it ain't dis cat's fault he got the term wrong.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the red book calls it "minor doubling". I have yet to find one.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Off-center, Broadstrike, CUD, Clipped Planchet, and Missing Clad specimens that OP mentioned are considered errors. Others mentioned are varieties.

That is correct. I was only speaking about the doubled dies.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Btw, I just saw something interesting u cent guys might be interested in. Today's featured article on the Coinflation website is about the first verified 1974-D Aluminum Cent that will be offered at auction soon and expected to bring $250,000 or more. Its graded by PCGS MS63. U can link to the article with pic on the Coinflation home page.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool to hear about the WAMs and other varieties and errors you have found. I am now hitting the cent errors hard, only been 2 weeks but have yet to find anything other than a 1970s with machine doubling on the date and mintmark. will keep looking and let you know what I find, good luck!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just broken open a box, and didn't really start it yet, give me two minutes, but running my hands thru the batch scoped out an Indian head a two 2000D's uncirculated with extra metal in the 0's and D. First Indian I have found in rolled pennies.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just broken open a box, and didn't really start it yet, give me two minutes, but running my hands thru the batch scoped out an Indian head a two 2000D's uncirculated with extra metal in the 0's and D. First Indian I have found in rolled pennies.

very cool. what's the deal with the 2000d's with the extra metal, is that an error worth scoping out?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't really know. Half of each "0" is filled with metal, on an angle like the plating sloshed about some when applied. It will take a couple days to go thru these, just pulled out a Bermuda penny and a 1920 Canadian! Now that's old.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy Dance! Happy Dance! Over 5,000 pennies done in the last 24 hours and found a 1972 Double Die! Happy Dance! 19921.jpg 19922.jpg 19921.jpg

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't really know. Half of each "0" is filled with metal, on an angle like the plating sloshed about some when applied. It will take a couple days to go thru these, just pulled out a Bermuda penny and a 1920 Canadian! Now that's old.

Chances are those are die chips.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions