My 2nd good box of the year w/ Kens, a Ben, Walker & 76S silver ender

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
My 2nd good box of the year w/ Kens, a Ben, Walker & '76S silver ender

Well last Thursday I got my best box in 2 years with 10 x 40% & 2 x 90% Ken's. Well my box from the same bank this week was just as good. It started with a '67 in each of the first two rolls so I was hopeful that I had another good box. Then a few more rolls later a '68D then a few rolls later I was surprised with a '64 Ken that had a strange colored edge that looks more clad than silver (see pic with coin in roll), as opposed to the '64 Kens I found last week that were bright shinny white.

Well then a few more 40% then in the 5th roll from the end I found my first Ben of the year. Then in the 3rd roll from the end I noticed the roll looked short and I counted 19 coins...oh well I'm not complaining. Then the 2nd roll from the end I flipped the roll over and notice a silver looking face and look closer and its a '76S ender. :) Then in the very last roll I see another old silver looking edge and take a closer look to see its my first Walker in quite a while, a dark discolored looking '45. :occasion14:

So this box sure had a nice assortment of keepers: a '64 Ken, a 51D Ben, '45 Walker, and 7 x 40% including a '76S ender which I'm pretty certain is silver but I haven't even opened the roll yet to confirm for certain...or to see if there might be more keepers in the roll. So what do u all think? Sure looks silver to me. Boxes like this one sure are fun to search. :)

I ordered 2 more boxes from this same bank for next week so I'm sure hoping my silver streak continues a little longer at least.

H$H!

Correction: I finally decided to open the roll with the '76S ender and I was rather surprised to find out its a clad proof. Oh well, it still had 9 silver keepers which is a good box for me. :)

Attachments

• '64 dark edge half in roll.jpg
    '64 dark edge half in roll.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 86
  • '51D Ben & '64 Ken.jpg
    '51D Ben & '64 Ken.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 87
  • '76S ender.jpg
    '76S ender.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 91
  • '45 Walker (dark).jpg
    '45 Walker (dark).jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jav

Dec 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, very nice. What a great mix of halves you got!

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
... a '76S ender which I'm pretty certain is silver but I haven't even opened the roll yet to confirm for certain...or to see if there might be more keepers in the roll. So what do u all think? Sure looks silver to me.

It appears that it is. There were 3 different variations of the 1976-S half dollar:

View attachment 935615

Left to Right:
Clad proof
Silver Business Strike (40%)
Silver Proof Strike (40%)

It looks like you have the silver business strike! OPEN - THAT - ROLL!

:)

OP
OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
It appears that it is. There were 3 different variations of the 1976-S half dollar:

View attachment 935615

Left to Right:
Clad proof
Silver Business Strike (40%)
Silver Proof Strike (40%)

It looks like you have the silver business strike! OPEN - THAT - ROLL!

:)

Lol....yeah I figured its probably a '76S silver unc (well at one time it was anyway.....from a 3-coin unc. coin set). I'm sure I'll open it this wknd to confirm for sure and check for anymore keepers. I'm sure the temtation will get the best of me. :)

H$H!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great box! I love the assortment, you got a bit of everything. congratulations my friend!

OP
OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks guys. Yeah this box sure was fun to search, esp. when it got down to the end and I was finding the best keepers in three of the last five rolls. :)

And your right Twitch that's a good point, if the '76S isn't a proof it must be silver. I guess I wasn't thinking. Well, at least it doesn't look proof to me anyway. Well so if I know its silver then I guess I don't have to open the roll to confirm lol. But since it was a pretty good box and the very next roll (the last roll) had a Walker then there might be a good chance this roll has more good silver inside. I'm tempted to open it but its kinda cool keeping it sealed in the roll as kinda a novelty too. I wish I'd have kept that full date 1913 buffalo obv ender I found last year sealed too. I'll sure never find one like that again in my lifetime. But then I would have wanted to see the reverse to check for a mint mark and type so I would have had trouble resisting temptation and eventually opened it anyway lol.

H$H!

Last edited:

BRChiver

Oct 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great looking box! Nice job on the '76S business strike.
HH!
BRChiver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread