CRH and privilege

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The discussion/debate on Omega's post about losing one of his bank accounts has got me thinking about something I've been thinking about for a while now. How much of what we do in the CRH world is facilitated by the fact that most of us are white men over the age of 30? I'm not trying to get really PC here, but honestly, I've found myself wondering just how far people who don't fit that description could get in this hobby. I'm trying to imagine a young black man in his mid 20's walking into a downtown bank branch and trying to order $5k worth of half dollars and how well that would work out. Or a female college student. Or a Sikh in a turban. Etc, etc.

I've seen people post on here how it is important to dress nicely and look like a highly respectable business person. I don't always do that, but I have established relationships at the banks I interact with now. But I think that would be even more important if I wasn't a mature adult white male.

I feel like this whole hobby is a fleeting house of cards that could - and will - collapse at any time, once the banks all figure out that they are providing a lot of service that doesn't generate them any revenue. We are all quietly benefiting from this while it lasts, (most of us) not wanting to rock the boat and ruin a good thing. But I wonder, if we are really honest with ourselves, how much of our ability to do what we do stems from our good fortune of being reasonably well-to-do white guys. Whether we want to admit it or not, we get a lot more respect right off the bat than do a lot of other people who don't have those attributes.

Just something to ponder.

Upvote 0

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Every business whether it's the local bank or almost any other business that offers "courtesies" to their customers does so with the expectation that it will generate business. They do not exist to be "nice guys", they exist to make a profit. Some folks need to realize that and act accordingly and show appreciation for those courtesies. Not throw tantrums and act like children when they get cut off. Omega commented that he hates being treated like a child but throwing a fit rather than gracefully accepting the banks decision and going somewhere else can ONLY attract negative attention as he found out when he returned to his "regular" bank. Word travels fast in business and once the banks figure out that providing this courtesy causes more hassle than it's worth they will change the rules. Now he's finding out that the scene he caused at ONE branch of that bank most likely will result in 3 branches of that same bank cutting him off. Is that really what you guys want ? I'm sure he'll be along shortly to argue with my points and tell us all how he was "in the right" for acting out like he did. Buttt.... being "right" dosn't always get you what you want. Being polite works way better.

Last edited:

Brush64

Oct 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
@jamesandsons: You make some interesting points, but they are also somewhat rhetorical. Is it more difficult for a non-white individual to get into this hobby? Perhaps. But it's certainly not impossible. Who really knows how one's race affects this hobby, no matter what side of the teller line we are talking about. On the other hand, I deal with non-caucasian individuals at approximately half of my pickup banks. In other words, I am dealing with someone of the opposite race or gender all of the time, but I have never had a problem ordering. Why is that? Personally, I am getting a little sick and tired of all of the talk in society or made up news reports about "white privilege" as if any one of us should feel guilty for starting at the bottom, saving our money until we have enough to start ordering a few boxes, working our way up from there, going out of our way to meet the bank personnel, being extremely polite and considerate at all times, communicating with grace and effectiveness, establishing an effective pickup and delivery (dump) system, and doing it all with the prospect or hope of donating some or all of our "finds" to our family or children some day. I don't think race has ANYTHING to do with that.

A successful CRH hobby can be built by ANYBODY, I don't care what their race or gender is. And we have proof of that right here on this website. It all comes down to hard work, communication, respect, and professionalism...and if someone doesn't have those qualities at work in his/her life, then they are not going to be successful at this hobby or any other endeavor...no matter what skin color they happen to have.

WheatWaffle

Bronze Member
Oct 30, 2013
Your point is well taken, but I am only 16 and still in high school. Even though I only have about $350 in my bank roll, I still enjoy the hobby. I personally don't do it for the money, but for the enjoyment of finding coins that I never thought would still be in circulation.

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A successful CRH hobby can be built by ANYBODY, I don't care what their race or gender is. And we have proof of that right here on this website. It all comes down to hard work, communication, respect, and professionalism...and if someone doesn't have those qualities at work in his/her life, then they are not going to be successful at this hobby or any other endeavor...no matter what skin color they happen to have.

I don't disagree that hard work, communication, respect and professionalism are key and that being a white dude isn't going to magically make you succeed in this hobby if you don't possess those traits. However, I continue to have doubts about the notion that this hobby provides equal opportunity to "anybody". We've already admitted that much relies on the image we convey - not just how we carry ourselves but how that is perceived by bank employees. Just carrying that concept out further, I think it is naive to pretend that people of other colors and gender are going to have a perfectly equal chance of success - no matter how professional they present themselves. Are there opportunities? Sure. But I don't think it is a stretch to say that where I might have to try 3 or 4 banks before I find ones that are accommodating of my CRH demands, someone who looks "different" might have to try 7 or 8 before they find the same luck. We all have to work hard to make it work, I just do believe that some have to work a lot harder than others because of the cards they've been dealt. That's all I'm trying to say.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all comes down to one word - ENTITLEMENT. Some view this hobby as we are doing the banks a favor and some view it as the banks doing us a favor.

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strangely, this is the second time I've had the issue of advantages for white males brought up to me in the last 24 hours. Bottom line is that I'm not going to let others make me feel bad about what I am, especially in regards to something as insubstantial as my pleasurable coin roll hunting hobby. I have enough other stuff to worry about.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is walking a thin line, be sure is does not turn racial or political or it will be locked...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not about to stop hunting because I feel like I might be getting a few more privileges than others might. And it is just a frivolous fun hobby at the end of the day, not anything to make a huge political issue over. Just some thoughts that popped in to my head that I thought might be interesting to share. Sincere apologies if I've ventured into too touchy a subject for anyone.

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some view this hobby as we are doing the banks a favor.

To steer this thread into more comfortable waters, what do you mean by this? Are you talking about deposits and fractional reserves?

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To steer this thread into more comfortable waters, what do you mean by this? Are you talking about deposits and fractional reserves?

Thats part of it. Some hunters think the banks are there to do them a service and don't seem to care if they lose money by servicing us. We use more resources than a typical customer and that is something I try to remember. I have around 10 different accounts (other than my main one) and probably only have $1000 combined in all those accounts. I'm not making them ANYTHING - so I try to walk a very thin line to keep myself in their good graces.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
How do you know I am a white male over the age of 30??????
Can you see me through my computer screen?????
No more posting on this site in the buff. :laughing7:

but seriously,
I think it would be very hard for a person to know that they were the victim of discrimination while CRHing.
They might suspect it, but we all have been treated at times rudely by tellers.
We all have been given strange looks or told no without a good reason.
Unless a tellers says no and follows it with a racial slur how would you know?
This is a hobby for the thick skinned, regardless of age, gender, color or ethnicity.

Last edited:

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP,
I would imagine the profile you described fits a majority of CRHer's but I don't think it facilitates our access or ability to CRH. How would you classify the majority of collectors (of all kinds) or treasure hunters? Based off my experience at shows, expo's, and pictures, I would say a majority are males, 30+, and white. I would imagine there are situations where every race, age, and sex would benefit from certain face to face meetings with a bank employee but I don't think it fits the stereo type. I would say 70% of the tellers, teller managers, and vault managers I work with are some combination of under 30, female, or not white. So as a 30+ white male, I don't see any reason they would particularly identify with me. The only employees I try to avoid are the older one's because they seem to get irritated with my request.

I'll echo that relationships are the key. On a side note, the amount of money in my accounts have had nothing to do with my ability to CRH. The only bank that cut me off had significant savings and was in use prior to CRHing.

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing that has worked for me and my CRH is simple, don't be an @$$ to the tellers. I know most of them on a first name basis and that took time. I am always polite and courteous, but then again, that's the way I was raised. And i know that the banks I deal with are doing me a great service by letting me continuously pick up and dump coin, sometime large amounts of it. I know I don't need to tell anyone on here this, but being polite and friendly goes a LONG way in this hobby. I can not wait for my 12 boxes of Thursday.

HH

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
The thing that has worked for me and my CRH is simple, don't be an @$$ to the tellers. I know most of them on a first name basis and that took time. I am always polite and courteous, but then again, that's the way I was raised. And i know that the banks I deal with are doing me a great service by letting me continuously pick up and dump coin, sometime large amounts of it. I know I don't need to tell anyone on here this, but being polite and friendly goes a LONG way in this hobby. I can not wait for my 12 boxes of Thursday.

HH
^^^^^^^ This.... is how you get treated the way you dream about by your bank. I messed with CRH for awhile back when I lived in NH. The ladies at the bank all knew me and I always took a few minutes to ask them how their day was going, exchange a few pleasantries, etc. They also knew exactly what I was doing and didn't care because I made them smile. People are just people, afterall. I was rewarded with little things like the time I cashed in a box of halves I was done with and the teller asked me if I would like my money in crisp series 1928 $20 bills that an old woman had deposited earlier that day. If any of them spotted Silver in their trays they would set it aside for me, etc....

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a hobby for the thick skinned, regardless of age, gender, color or ethnicity.

No doubt about that. No doubt. On that note, I think I've matured in my people skills as a result of the relentless pursuit of coin-based treasures.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few thoughts to add to the discussion.

1. White privilege has a lot of negative connotations. It is NOT your fault, you're NOT supposed to do something about it. But it does exist. It's just the idea that there's underlying prejudice and xenophobia in our society, and people are treated differently based on their appearance (including dress, culture, and ethnicity). As the majority group in society, Euro-Americans benefit from this "status quo". In a traditionally patriarchal society, men benefit from the "status quo". We are born with those genetics and have no control of them. The only way to change it is to, as a society, change those perceptions. As the group benefiting from this, we are unaware of it. Just because we are unaware doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

2. I don't know about you, but there is a distinct lack of banks in low income, urban areas here. When I go CRHing there are branches of the same bank in a relatively short distance in the suburbs, but then several miles apart in the city. If a majority of people are without access to a traditional bank, and they do not have a "bankroll" like the average CRHer does, how can we expect a more diverse group of people to do this? More people live in cities than outside of cities, so that's a big portion of our society.
Link for more info: The Real Reason the Poor Go Without Bank Accounts - Lisa J. Servon - The Atlantic Cities

Hopefully this adds to the discussion.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Crh'ing isn't new. back in the 1970's we probably had just as many, or more hunters than today, and the economy was just as bad, or worse. IMO, roll hunting will continue for a long time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread