Did you ever short a roll?

yf30

Dec 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was re-rolling a box of halves and after I finished I found one coin which I had dropped at some point. I wasn't gonna check 50 rolls to find the short one so I just tucked the coin into the box beside the rolls.

That got me thinking: If you ever got a short roll you probably assumed some scam artist is ripping off the banks by intentionally shorting the rolls. But it could very well be an accidental error.

I was once driving through upstate NY and asked for halves. They had like $500 in CWR so I figured it's a dump and just asked for 3 rolls. There was no silver which was no surprise but... ALL were short a coin or 2. I went back in to the bank to tell them. They checked some more rolls in the vault and found them all short. They took my rolls back and said they'd deal with it. They knew the dumper. It's a small town and apparently he dumped often. I hope he was arrested (but I doubt it).

Finding MWR that are short is extremely rare in my experience. Those machines are good.

Upvote 0

BRChiver

Oct 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mostly do halves. I've gotten pretty good at spotting a shorted roll; I search fast but have a quick mind to follow the coins as I searchem. A lot of times they are short (Brinks). Loomis are pretty much spot on from what I've seen. If I see a short roll I make it up out of my pocket. If I pull a keeper I make it up as well. I'd rather eat a dollar per box making up the shorts than loose a great dump bank by being off....JMO though
HH!
BRChiver

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I did this at first, and also felt guilty about it, particularly after claiming an errant Morgan silver dollar. Since then, when the teller opened the machine and offered me the rejects, I've been honest and said they weren't mine. In EVERY SINGLE CASE the teller told me to keep the coins.

Honesty is the best policy!

At a CU that I dump at, they just give me the rejects, minus any American (I can buy the American at face).

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen rolls with as many as 5 coins over (in cwr's) and as many as 2 coins over in MWR's.
However, as to shortages, I once got a dime roll with 33 dimes in it, a half dollar roll with 16 in it and a penny roll with 40 in it. Nickels have usually been spot on, maybe 1-3 short at times.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never would do that intentionally...

Ive found it on both sides... cents in half/quarter/dime CWR's... but ive also found (21) 40%ers in a single CWR :P

My MWR of halves are very rarely off... and the few times a roll was short, I was able to see it... no biggie, like i said its super rare for that... like once every 200 boxes I would guess...

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not shorted any rolls (I weigh them sometimes to be certain), but I did receive a box of halves once with 1 MWR that had been sheared off by something. It was missing 2 or 3 coins, so not a big deal. I just replaced the coins with some extras I had and moved on.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Never, if I do volume, I use bags. If I go mid-way, I'll use a coin counter (rail based). If I start rolling, for just a small amount, I'm really careful and count every coin.

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was re-rolling a box of halves and after I finished I found one coin which I had dropped at some point. I wasn't gonna check 50 rolls to find the short one so I just tucked the coin into the box beside the rolls.

That got me thinking: If you ever got a short roll you probably assumed some scam artist is ripping off the banks by intentionally shorting the rolls. But it could very well be an accidental error.

I was once driving through upstate NY and asked for halves. They had like $500 in CWR so I figured it's a dump and just asked for 3 rolls. There was no silver which was no surprise but... ALL were short a coin or 2. I went back in to the bank to tell them. They checked some more rolls in the vault and found them all short. They took my rolls back and said they'd deal with it. They knew the dumper. It's a small town and apparently he dumped often. I hope he was arrested (but I doubt it).

Finding MWR that are short is extremely rare in my experience. Those machines are good.

:coffee2: I do half dollars only. I don't short a roll that would be unethical. When I get a roll that is short, I make up the missing coin(s). I also replace any keepers I get from a roll. Sometimes the rolls may have a extra coin. Those I hold on to to replace the ones I keep or make up a shortage. The worst mwr I ever got was short $3.50 & recently the best mwr I ever got was $2.00 over. In the long run the overages & shortages even out. I use a coin counting machine at the bank when I do my returns. It is easier & more accurate when you run the coins thru.

HH
Gary

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread