Closing out January with a bang (and a weird trick half)

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 2014 goals are:
  • to search at least 20 boxes each of nickels|dimes|halves per month
  • at least 8 oz of silver per month (1 from nickels, 2 from dimes, 5 from halves)
  • at least 50 silver coins per month

As of this morning I had 45 silver coins and just over 4 oz silver for January. Today I opened 3 boxes of dimes and 2 boxes of halves.

Dime box #1: (1) 1962-D
Dime box #2: (1) 1958-D
Dime box #3: (2) 1946, 1954 + (1) 1959 Canadian
Half box #1: (1) 1966
Half box #2: (8) 40%, (1) 1964

My last box of halves ended up being my best box of the month.

Here are my final totals for January:

Nickels: 18.5 boxes - 19 war nickels (1.07oz AG) - 3 dated buffaloes, 5 dateless buffaloes
Dimes: 20.66 boxes - 19 Roosevelts (1.37oz AG), 1 silver Canadian (0.06oz AG)
Halves: 20.4 boxes - 19 40%, 2 90% (both 1964-D)

Totals: 60 silver coins, 6.04oz AG

Didn't hit all the goals, but today was a pretty inspiring way to finish the month. Looking forward to hitting it hard again in February.

I also found this on the back of a 1982-P half in that silver-heavy box:
quarter-half.jpg

My first 75-cent piece!

(Also, does this count as a "No FG"?)

Upvote 0

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice scores with those half boxes at the end! good dime box avg too, atleast 1 per, not bad! I gave up after 17 skunks or so in a row

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice scores with those half boxes at the end! good dime box avg too, atleast 1 per, not bad! I gave up after 17 skunks or so in a row

Thanks. Yeah, the dimes got pretty rough in the middle of the month, but I stuck with them and rebounded pretty well this week. Still, I was averaging more like 1.5 per box the past few months. Hopefully I find my way back to that average.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice totals. That last half box gave you very close to a one silver keeper per box average with all your boxes. And I like that 75 cent piece too. Looks no FG to me. Interesting both coins are '82's. Are the coins actually stuck together? If they are maybe u could spend them like that and then there would be a circulating 75 cent piece for a while. :)

H$H!

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting both coins are '82's. Are the coins actually stuck together?

Yeah, I'm realizing now that this picture is misleading because it looks like a quarter sitting on top of the back of a half. Actually the quarter is nearly entirely embedded in the half; it only sticks out above surface level just the tiniest bit. I'll try to take a picture from an angle tomorrow to better show what it really looks like.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, I'm realizing now that this picture is misleading because it looks like a quarter sitting on top of the back of a half. Actually the quarter is nearly entirely embedded in the half; it only sticks out above surface level just the tiniest bit. I'll try to take a picture from an angle tomorrow to better show what it really looks like.

Oh that's kinda strange. Yeah its kinda hard to see that from the pic. Its interesting how the quarter centers right in the middle of the half and u can still see all the lettering around the rim of the half. Looks similar to the way the ATB coins are designed. Interesting to keep as a novelty coin(s). Just never know what you might find with this hobby. :)

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats an awesome 75 cent piece- now I want one lol

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a better angle on it.
75c.jpg

I also found this in the same box. If you look closely you can see a phantom slightly darker ring around the edge. When you hold it at just the right angle you can make out the words "Department of the Air Force" around the top of the ring, and "United States of America" around the bottom half. It's almost like a photo-impression or something. Really weird. Anyone have a clue what this might be or why it exists?
phantomHalf.jpg

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Some interesting finds. That quarter really is embedded inside the half. Wonder how difficult that is to do and why someone did that and why the quarter was centered upside down on the reverse of the half. And u also found another half with edge lettering in the same box? Maybe both were done by the same person who likes to make coin alterations. I never found anything like either of those before. I did find a 2013D (obv ender) half in my last box which is the newest half I've ever found and probably one of the nicest condition too.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh wow that side pic is much clearer, that it is embedded in the half... wow thats neat

I dont know about that airforce half... sounds odd

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
That quarter/half combo would find a very special place were it in my collection. I know some would consider it to be defacement but personally I'd categorize it as a form of folk art, much as the hobo nickels are regarded.

Rascal

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I also found this in the same box. If you look closely you can see a phantom slightly darker ring around the edge. When you hold it at just the right angle you can make out the words "Department of the Air Force" around the top of the ring, and "United States of America" around the bottom half. It's almost like a photo-impression or something. Really weird. Anyone have a clue what this might be or why it exists?
View attachment 938944

I can't see the ring very well, but this is probably what it was:
JFK Half Dollar Keyring/Airforce - Actual Authentic Collectable | Museum Mint, Historic Numismatics, Coin Collecting

- DS

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread