Miami, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well today I picked up 4 boxes of halves and here is what I got:

Box 1 - Skunk
Box 2 - 4 40%'s and a 1963 Franklin
Box 3 - Skunk
Box 4 - Skunk

In box 2, those 5 silvers all came from 3 rolls that were side by side. I'm a bit concerned that they aren't more spread out. I'm seeing a lot of half dollars marked with a black S on the face and a lot with a black line along the side. My hunch is that other hunters are marking them.

So in total through my career I have searched 5 boxes of halves and gotten 4 40%'s and 1 90%. Is that on par with average or below average?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Averages will vary a lot depending on geographic location and other factors like just plain luck....good or bad. And you'll have to do a lot more volume to get a better idea of your own box average. It can really be hit and miss with this hobby. And with your own boxes so far all your silver came from just 3 out of 250 rolls.....and the rolls were side by side as u said. So sometimes the silver can be very concentrated like that. I remember just recently I think it was Halfhunter who found a solid roll of silver in one of his boxes but there was hardly any other silver in the box from what I remember. The silver can just be kind of hard to figure or predict with this hobby...esp with halves. But congrats on the one box with the 3 good rolls. :)

H$H!

Last edited:

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say the majority on the forum are avg 1 per box- maybe even a bit less the last 4-5 months- mine are WAY lower than 1 per box-

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

OP
OP
mjr08010

mjr08010

Jan 14, 2014
Miami, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I'm seeing on this forum, 1 per box is around average as well. Geographical region definitely plays a role and over the next few months I'll gain a better sense for how saturated Miami is with hunters.

P.S. - Am I the only one who likes to clank the silvers together to hear that noise they make? :)

OP
OP
mjr08010

mjr08010

Jan 14, 2014
Miami, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, I found 1990 half (mintmark P) that stood out like a silver and shows no sign of copper edges. Any idea how this can be?

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
P.S. - Am I the only one who likes to clank the silvers together to hear that noise they make? :)

Lol, I think we all like to hear that noise. And I'm not sure about your 1990 half. Sometimes the clad & silver edges can have some variations in color. In one of my boxes recently I found a 1964 half that had a somewhat tarnished edge that made it look more like copper than silver. So that 1990 coin isn't one of the painted coins either huh?

OP
OP
mjr08010

mjr08010

Jan 14, 2014
Miami, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, I think we all like to hear that noise. And I'm not sure about your 1990 half. Sometimes the clad & silver edges can have some variations in color. In one of my boxes recently I found a 1964 half that had a somewhat tarnished edge that made it look more like copper than silver. So that 1990 coin isn't one of the painted coins either huh?

Unless it was painted yesterday it looks like perfect silver along the edges to me. It has me baffled. Definitely does not look like those other silver-painted halves.

Last edited:

44_Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A few weeks ago i had a box with 2 40%'s in the second roll and then 3 more 40% and a 90% in the next 14 rolls. There was not a single silver in the next 35 rolls. Halves will be more streaky than anything else. HH

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would sound thats about average, atleast for me so far this year :P

Halves are weird sometimes... today I had a box that showed a walking ender, but that was the only silver in the box... what a let down haha

HH!

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah it probably is plated like enamel7 said. I think I've found a couple of silver plated halves myself and I've found several gold plated halves. I don't know how its done but I know some coin companies do it as sort of a promotion gimmick. That was done a lot with the state quarters in particular.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
My four boxes of halves yielded a total of 15 40% and 6 90%, one was a 1942. Lately the finds have been very sporadic and I go through 4-to 8 boxes with nothing, then a decent batch. Makes life interesting.....

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well today I picked up 4 boxes of halves and here is what I got:
Box 2 - 4 40%'s and a 1963 Franklin
In box 2, those 5 silvers all came from 3 rolls that were side by side. I'm a bit concerned that they aren't more spread out.
So in total through my career I have searched 5 boxes of halves and gotten 4 40%'s and 1 90%. Is that on par with average or below average?
That could actually be a good thing because if a massive amount of silver is dumped, you can potentially get a loaded box.
1 per box is above average based off of what I have been getting.

OP
OP
mjr08010

mjr08010

Jan 14, 2014
Miami, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That could actually be a good thing because if a massive amount of silver is dumped, you can potentially get a loaded box.
1 per box is above average based off of what I have been getting.

Then it looks like I'm right on the average :)

5 boxes of halves = 5 silvers (1 90% and 4 40%).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread