Past 100 or so boxees

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Past 100 or so boxes..... Haven't given up s***. -_-
These cubes down here in SoCal D12 just aren't doing it any more. Maybe I need to rework my system or something.
Anyone else in the SD or LA area feelin me? Or am I just getting the small straw with my 40+ boxes a week?

Upvote 0

fishwhacker

Oct 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Chances are you and the other big CRH guys near you have searched through all the half dollars in your area. They aren't an unlimited resource. Now all you are doing is getting back dumps and whatever gets thrown in from collections. It was bound to happen.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember TimZim would drive up to 100 miles to dump his coins. when you hunt big volume you don't necessarily get more finds unless you have a way of removing the clad. I know a lot of people that say they won't find any more silver hunting 25 boxes a week vs. hunting 8-10

Mtldealer

May 8, 2012
District 12, SouthWest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember TimZim would drive up to 100 miles to dump his coins. when you hunt big volume you don't necessarily get more finds unless you have a way of removing the clad. I know a lot of people that say they won't find any more silver hunting 25 boxes a week vs. hunting 8-10

Driving from SD to L.A. is just going to net more of my dumps. The picking are hit and miss.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Feel your pain omega- I think this part of the country(SoCal, Nevada, AZ, UT) has been hunted hard and not enough collections are beig dumped back into circulation

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

whiteslate

Aug 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never gotten a half out of MWR in socal, have gotten 100+ out of CWR tho, still buy boxes when i can, but its better to just ask if they have any, and take what they give you rather than order.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Feel your pain omega- I think this part of the country(SoCal, Nevada, AZ, UT) has been hunted hard and not enough collections are beig dumped back into circulation

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

I still get an occasional ok box here in NV. Any time you have a gambling vice in your state, there are bound to be some silver coins going to the banks!

BRChiver

Oct 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

^^^This. At least for me anyway.
HH!
BRChiver

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't do many boxes, but from my experience halves in SoCal stink.
Last week I was in a branch of BOA that I don't frequent, thought what the hey, I'll ask if they have any half dollars. Got a '67 out of $3 worth. Thinking my luck might change with this branch, I asked if they could order me two boxes. Got the boxes on Saturday....double skunk. It was weird though because very few of the coins were marked; totally unlike what I find when I order at Chase.
I think my new strategy this year will be to focus on dime boxes and CWR of halves.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
It is not a bottomless pit. If you are not dumping out of your Fed district you may be in for some slumps an even if you are they still might just transfer a pallet of your dumps back to you. If you go another couple hundred boxes with empty boxes I would change strategies.

Maine_Jim

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
These guys on this board are right. Overtime, you will have outpaced the supply of silver turned into banks so there won't be anything but skunks left.

I've been doing this hobby for a long time and I rarely order halves anymore. I will if it's been a few months which lets the supply replenish but after a few weeks, they go dry again and the ratios go down. There is no such thing as the bottom of the pallet. Everything depends on some old person or whomever bringing old silver to the banks and they will end up in the boxes if it gets past the tellers and gets shipped off.

I'm glad to have gotten the coins that I've gotten in the past when it was still decent to CRH. I've kept most of my 90%ers and sold the majority of 40%ers when the prices were higher.

I used to live down in SD (PB) too 5+ years ago. I did some CRH then but at only one box per week. There's a lot more fun things to do down there than CRHing. The boxes were decent though at that time.

The boxes here in the bay area are not so good. I still do this hobby but won't do it if it's not profitable i.e. lose gas money if you're getting a ton of skunks.

If you're getting a ton of skunks, it's better to turn down the volume and pick another hobby. To be honest, forums like this one have fueled a fury of new high volume CRHers which in reality made the hobby more difficult. I'm not knocking the forum because it's fun to learn and post but that's the reality of the situation. I recall there was a high volume searcher in LA (Billion Bullion or something like that) that talked about huge quantities to search. Perhaps he got all the good stuff in LA. Over time, the supply will run out or low to where it's not profitable to do it anymore.

Last edited:

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SFBayArea, wow a blast from the past. Hope all is well.

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm down here on the Monterey Bay, and I've essentially given up on boxes of halves for all of the reasons stated above. I concentrate on nickels now and do quite well with medium-ish volume, but I still ask for loose halves from tellers whenever I remember to. Case in point, week before last I decided to go into a Chase (I bank at BofA) when I had a few minutes to kill and asked if they had any halves they wanted to get rid of. Two minutes later I walked out with just $3.50 in halves, but two of them were 67's and one was a '52 Ben. So if you want to "just keep stackin", "just keep askin'", I say!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread