has anyone ever asked this.....

skyet

Nov 22, 2006
south jersey!
about 2 months ago i ordered a 1000 bag. nothing but the same old clad. i have meant to give it another shot but eh.. they are such a pain to exchange and so ugly. i would suggest trying your bigger banks for this.

-skyet

schramm

Dec 25, 2006
bigtime400 said:
You ordered 1000 in Ike dollars???? They always tell me they can't get them.
bigtime400,ANY bank can order them for you but they may be too lazy to make the "call".

When they order $.05,.10,.25,.50 coins it is a standard order and they do it online or with a paper order,so when they order $1 coins the facility reads that as susan B's,sac's or the new dollars,they just ship what they have available out of those 3 types.

But if someone REALLY want's Ike's they have to make a phone call and talk to someone directly so the supplier know's exactly what type of coin they want(Ike's).

Your average customer doesn't want these because of size and weight and just because people in the U.S. don't use dollar coins,they use bills almost exlusively.Canada is a different story.

Also for roll hunters these coins are hard to get rid of in large quantity,coinstars don't accept them,counting machines at banks don't accept them,so if you have a lot to return you have to find the rolls for them and find a bank that is real nice to accept them without a handling fee.

And the last reason I can think of why you wouldn't want them is because the odd's of finding a morgan/peace dollar mixed in is so low(maybe 1 in 20 million coins?) that the payoff potential for your effort/aggrivation is not worth it to find a coin that you could at best sell for $8-$11 to a dealer for melt value.

And if you do find a 73 D or P it will probably nicked/damaged enough to be worth little over face value.I believe your odd's of finding a 73 are extremely higher than finding a morgan/peace dollar.

BUT if you can find a way to dump them as easily as halves are for some some people to get rid of,it couldn't hurt,just don't expect anywhere even remotely close to the amount of return you see with halves.

Hope this brings up some thought's that may not have been mentioned otherwise.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get them and want to get rid of them check with local coin shops. I have two in this area that pay from 1.06 = 1.10. they both have a customer (probably the same one) who comes by 2-3 times a year and buys everyone they have. Since they can move them they are happy to buy them from me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread