Federal Reserve District Bank

davycoppit

Feb 20, 2007
MN
What are the Federal Reserve District banks? Do all the coins of the 12 districts go through them? Can anybody go to these banks and get coins or is it just a bank for banks? Sorry for the question I just do not know anything about them and could not find much about them on line. If anybody has any info or a web site it would be much appreciated. thanks alot. I have one fairly close to my house.

Upvote 0

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
I know there's one here in Houston.
I don't think anyone but the banks and CU's can deal with them - kinda like a wholesaler?

twincapes

Jan 21, 2007
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 w Pro performance coil, Garrett Pro-pointer
http://www.dallasfed.org/fed/services.html

Here's their website. I don't know about private citizens getting coin from them. When folks in this forum talk about banks "ordering" boxes etc for them, the individual banks (as I understand it) order from the closest Fed bank, or they submit the order to their major local bank branch, who then sends an order to the Fed branch, in your case, in Houston. They're like big distribution centers to ensure there is enough currency where its needed in the country. I think that Brinks and the other armored car svcs are contracted to make the deliveries. I may be wrong on specifics but I believe thats the general idea.

OP
OP
D

davycoppit

Feb 20, 2007
MN
Thanks for the info ill look more into it. It would be pretty sweet to get a tour of one, but im sure it is way too high security.

david

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some places might have tours. At one time a few of them even had a teller that was available to the public. I went to the one in Atlanta back around 2000 and asked for 50.00 in half dollars. They came right out of a bag and were all dated 1995. Even neater was that a lot of them have die cracks that start at the point of JFK's chin. I have a progression from no crack to a very large one that goes from the chin to the rim. I would have love to have had the time and money to go back and get even more of them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread